Budget big brake upgrade? - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

6Likes
  • 1 Post By mercmd
  • 2 Post By hydro462
  • 1 Post By Billdini
  • 1 Post By cuisinartvette
  • 1 Post By LeoP

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 20, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Budget big brake upgrade?

Looking to upgrade the front discs on my 64. Have 70 chevelle discs with a hydroboost setup. The brakes work great, but have experienced overheating / fade and am wanting to avoid that in the future.

Have 2" drop spindles, where would I find brackets / hubs that won't break the bank and allow me to run larger rotors/calipers?

I've thought about just changing out to slotted/drilled rotors but would like go one step as autocross season is coming up.

Anyone running a divorced rotor setup?

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 20, 2:05 PM
Team Member
Bill

Garage
Re: Budget big brake upgrade?

Usually fading unless you are tracking your car can be taken care with better pads and rotors. Although some say the 67/68 4 piston brakes were troublesome I do not experience anything except nice stopping power on my 68. Not being an expert with dropped spindles I would try a nice set of pads and rotors first and their are many to choose from. See if anyone here can chime in. Are your rears disc?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 20, 9:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jeremy

convert to LS1 camaro brakes all around. best bang for the buck
Tarheel Chevelle likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 20, 11:06 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

unless you have bigger rims, your budget might get blown having to replace your wheels and tires
jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 8:49 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Try Porterfield brake shoes and matching pads. Usually the rears need a little more to help the fronts.. I adjust my rear brakes manually, I've found self adjusters leave a lot to be desired.. I use slotted rotors, they work for me...
-SS454- and Hotwire like this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 8:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Thank you everyone for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdini View Post
Usually fading unless you are tracking your car can be taken care with better pads and rotors. Although some say the 67/68 4 piston brakes were troublesome I do not experience anything except nice stopping power on my 68. Not being an expert with dropped spindles I would try a nice set of pads and rotors first and their are many to choose from. See if anyone here can chime in. Are your rears disc?
The fading occurred chasing my buddy through Tail of the Dragon (318 curves in 11 miles https://tailofthedragonmaps.com/tail-of-the-dragon-map/ ). He's setup for full pro-touring, I'm slowly getting there.
Brakes got greasy after a couple miles in, that's the last place you want to lose your brakes. I will be tracking my car as well. I have napa rotors/pads on there now, they work great for daily duties but will be getting more aggressive with the car as autocross season opens up. Rears are still drums but were freshened up when I built the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercmd View Post
convert to LS1 camaro brakes all around. best bang for the buck
I've seen brackets for the conversion, want to fab my own, but am looking for possibly C4/C5 setup as their rotors are thicker due to larger vanes for better venting. Probably going to source some drum hubs and make plates for the calipers, just need to find a template I can use or go about it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
unless you have bigger rims, your budget might get blown having to replace your wheels and tires
jim
17x9 all the way around

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 10:42 AM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

Well you have kinda answered your own question but unfortunately if you want to race then brakes are paramount and saving a buck could cost you your ride or worse your life. 4 wheel disc, pad composition, rotor style and more importantly diameter have to be part of your solution. There are a lot of posts on here with people upgrading to 12 inch rotors and I can tell you first hand my 2014 GT500 had Brembo 6 piston calipers with 15 inch rotors and people complained about fade but to me they were awesome but I didn't track. BTW that's a nice looking car.
Hotwire likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 11:39 AM
Senior Tech Team

if you have 17s the c5s may be the way to go?
Wish I Could get bigger ones with my 15s. not that they are in need just got spoiled doing a 100-0 in a friends 85 c4 with wilwoods. wow
Hotwire likes this.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 12:11 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Powerstop rotors and pads are my recommendation, good luck!!
Hotwire likes this.

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 9:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Thanks everyone. I'll update if I find anything usable. I have found a bracket template for the LS1 / F-body to A/F/X stock brake bracket.

Just realized I have my stock spindles stowed away, I can easily mock up what I need with no downtime on the chevelle.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 20, 1:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Verle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
I have found a bracket template for the LS1 / F-body to A/F/X stock brake bracket.

Where did you find the template?

Verle
Tulsa, Ok
65 Chevelle L79 since Feb 1965

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 20, 2:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verle View Post
Where did you find the template?
https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...per-dimensions

12” Corvette brakes on a first gen Camaro

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 20, 5:47 PM
Clint

It can be a PITA to find cheaper wheels that will clear C5 calipers and fit an A-body, especially a 64-65.

Clint Hooper

Sold

Sold
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 20, 2:13 AM
Tech Team
Ben

There may be differences between LS1/CTSV, but that template did not work for my C5 fronts on drum spindles. It was close enough though and I traced that to aluminum so I just made my adjustments and a new template easy enough.

No car yet; currently looking for 66-69 project/driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in