My winter project... - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

4Likes
  • 4 Post By oldcutlass

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 7:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Eric

My winter project...

Well for as much winter that we actually get here. Decided to redo my rear suspension with UMI non adjustable upper/lower rear tubular control arms, install a Nitro Gear and Axle Lunch Box Locker in my BOP type O peg leg rear, and replaced the shocks.

The locker was easier than I thought it would be once you get in there. Basically you pop off the rear cover, back the axles out about an inch or so on each side, pull the cross pin, remove the spider gears, transfer the thrust washers to both sides of the locker, assemble it in place, install the springs, replace with the new cross shaft, put the cover back on, and your done. With the whole rear off the car most of the work was pretty easy just sitting on my roll around stool.

Although I got it all finished, today it was raining so test drive will be tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0144.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	613810   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0151.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	613812   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0153.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	613814   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0155.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	613816  

Name:	IMG_0174.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	613818  

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 7:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Re: My winter project...

Took it for a short ride, a couple of hole shots, and a bunch of left and right turns. It drove really well with no strange noises or leaks... Life is good! The locker does click when you turn as each axle breaks loose within the locker, it kind of sounds like when as a kid you put a playing card against the spokes of a bicycle going slow. The new control arms are a great improvement over the worn out bushings in the old stock arms and the addition of the sway bar is remarkable. The KYB shocks stiffened the ride over the 11 year old leaky Monroe's. It was a plus to pull the differential out completely to do the locker and change the upper bushings. The arms and sway bar were a snap. No special tools required.
To recap:
UMI ABR401B kit, upper and lower control arms with poly bushings front and back. $315.00
UMI 4034B sway bar. $144.00
Nitro Gear and Axle Lunch Box Locker. $375.00
2 qts of Valvoline 85w140 gear oil. $13.00
2 KYB 5507 gas adjust rear shocks. $62.00
Grand total = $909.00
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0175.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	613890  

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 8:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Looks nice Eric. What paint did you use on that rear housing? Looks like you did a nice clean install with those rear brake lines. I like that brake line mouning bracket too. I'm not sure that I've ever seen one like that before. But that might be due to me being so used to looking at aftermarket rears, in modified A-body cars. So I must also ask you if that's an after market bracket or a factory stock replacement one? I'm guessing that it's aftermarket. I've only seen ones that mount directly onto one of the pumpkin cover bolts.

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 9:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
steve

I was excited to here you had a Olds and you used a Nitro Gear locker in it. Searched the web site....They don't offer that for the 8.2 BOP case. Damn.

Then I saw your running a 12 bolt rear end...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 10:23 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

funny my fall project was to pull the locker out of my 70
with a manual, I just didnt like the chatter in tight turns. my camaro with a auto doesnt have that issue.
you will love the solid 2 stripe burn outside. jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGman View Post
Looks nice Eric. What paint did you use on that rear housing? Looks like you did a nice clean install with those rear brake lines. I like that brake line mouning bracket too. I'm not sure that I've ever seen one like that before. But that might be due to me being so used to looking at aftermarket rears, in modified A-body cars. So I must also ask you if that's an after market bracket or a factory stock replacement one? I'm guessing that it's aftermarket. I've only seen ones that mount directly onto one of the pumpkin cover bolts.
I used hi temp Dupli-Color DE1613, gloss black ceramic engine enamel. The brake lines were just cleaned and painted silver. The rear is the stock type O that came in my 67 Cutlass with the stock brake line mounting bracket that bolts to the housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64tempestwagon View Post
I was excited to here you had a Olds and you used a Nitro Gear locker in it. Searched the web site....They don't offer that for the 8.2 BOP case. Damn.

Then I saw your running a 12 bolt rear end...
As I said above this is my stock rear is a 3:08 type O, 8.5 inch 10 bolt ring gear, and 28 spline bolt in axles. I believe the person that set me up with my locker possibly can help you with your 8.2, no one listed one for my 8.5 either. Send me a pm and I can get you his info. He's very knowledgeable about bop rear ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
funny my fall project was to pull the locker out of my 70
with a manual, I just didnt like the chatter in tight turns. my camaro with a auto doesnt have that issue.
you will love the solid 2 stripe burn outside. jim
Mine chatters (clicks) also in turns. I'm under the assumption that is normal due to the different tire speeds when turning and the locker teeth ratcheting around.
I like the fact that I can get more of the HP that my 468 puts out through a T400 with a 2800 stall converter on to the ground. And yes the perk of 2 solid stripes is fulfilling.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 6:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
Mine chatters (clicks) also in turns. I'm under the assumption that is normal due to the different tire speeds when turning and the locker teeth ratcheting around.
I have a Detroit Locker, ( I haven't used it yet) but I'm told that this is normal for Locker rears, (like you've said). In fact, I was also told that at least with some Lockers, once in a great while you can also get a loud bang too. But like with a lot of things in this game, that's the trade-off which comes with greater durability.

Please let me know if you notice the car pull to one side or the other during gear shifts. I'm told that this also can occur with Locker rears. It's for that reason that I might end up going with a spool for the drag strip. I wouldn't want the car pulling to one side while the front tires are airborne. That's a recipe for a barrell roll. IDK if the Locker will hold up to transbrake launches in my car anyway. I was also told that once you get into the 1.3 second 60 foot time neighborhood with heavy weight transbrake cars, that's when the Lockers tend to go bye-bye. But excuse my digression. I'm sure that none of this applies to your car. Just kinda thinking out loud here. Anyway, it looks like you're doing a very nice job with your build.

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Eric

My build is now officially and firmly in the driver classification of maintenance mode (basically fix what breaks). Everything on the car has pretty much been repaired, replaced, and/or inspected front to back, top to bottom since 2009. The car has come a long way. The intent of this car was to build a decent car for cheap and in this day and age that has become an impossible task. I've got about $18k in it including the car with me doing 90% of the work. It was never intended to go to the track, but someday I'd like to see what it can do.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thumbnail_WP_20181212_10_17_33_Pro.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	613952   Click image for larger version

Name:	picture_php_pictureid_12515_394ee7b065983d29b84bd59629f2a78386c24b34.jpg
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	613954   Click image for larger version

Name:	picture_php_pictureid_12514_8bb06b1597e0e1c8920e065d392067e7ef743410.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	613956   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.JPG
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	613958  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in