Dropped spindles and track width - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 2:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage
Dropped spindles and track width

I知 trying to get a straight answer about my dropped spindles but have not received a reply from the manufacture yet. My question has to do with the track width and whether or not the spindles add to it.
So I知 going to check it myself and want to ask if the way I知 going about it is correct.
First off I知 assuming that on Chevelles 典rack Width and 典read Width are the same. I state this because the stock wheels were zero offset. Is this a correct assumption?
The published 典read Width for a 66 is 58.
Since my wheels are zero offset I feel I could just measure from the CL of one front tire to the CL of the other and have my answer. But since I知 having an issue and looking for a solution I feel it痴 worth it to pull the wheels and measure from the hub faces. I believe I値l get a more accurate measurement.
Currently I have Wilwood disc brakes that add 0.38 track width to each side. So what I should be looking for is a measurement of 58.76.
So anything wider than 58.76 should be attributable to the spindles.
Have I got all of this straight?
Anything else I should be measuring while I知 at it?
Last question...does anyone know of any dropped spindles for Chevelles that DECREASE the track width?
Thanks

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 3:53 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Dropped spindles and track width

I had cpp spindles and don稚 believe that they increased the track width. I had tall ball joints in the lower and it ended up being too low.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 (SOLD)

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 4:15 PM
Tech Team
Troy

Couple things, if it's an A body spindle, drop or not it should be the same as factory unless explicitly stated up front.

Whith that being said, and if I remember correctly you have the Hotchins suspension. There is a lot of variables to be concidered.

Alignment alone could change the track width. Camber adjustment don't affect the bottom of the tire but would affect the spindle and especially the top of the tire.

Measuring track width could be difficult being as the measurement would be at the center of the hub face.

I would think if you removed the tires and rotors and then had the weight of the car on the suspension. You could use a large square to put a mark on the ground at the front and back of the hub face, do this on both sides and the measure the marks on the floor and average front to back. That should give a good measurement.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

66 CHEVELLE

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 1:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

I didn稚 even think about putting the weight back on the hubs with the wheels off. I would have done this with the wheels off and suspension hanging.
I値l have to think how I知 going to compress the suspension without wheels and tires. I do have a two post lift.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 2:03 PM
Tech Team
Troy

Put jack stands under the shocks!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

66 CHEVELLE
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 9:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

I got a response back from the vendor on my dropped spindles! Stock track width.
I also looked and there would be no way a spindle could be used for a narrower track width. My rotors are about 1/2. From the end of my lower control arm.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 11:47 PM
Team Member
Ed

Garage

If you are going from stock A-body drums to A-body discs - the disc spindle assembly adds about 1/2" width on each side. Stock disc spindles to dropped disc spindles should not add any width.

OLDED - It's STOCK if it's made by GM and it fits!

*65 Elky, Gen VI 496 BBC, TH400
*59 Vette, 283/270 hp. T5 5 spd., 4:11 posi.
*Harley - 06 Street Bob
*Life Member - Team Chevelle & Team ElCamino
*Peach State Chevelle Member
*Retired June 1, 2014****
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDED View Post
If you are going from stock A-body drums to A-body discs - the disc spindle assembly adds about 1/2" width on each side. Stock disc spindles to dropped disc spindles should not add any width.
My car came with 4 wheel drums. I added Superior Spondle 2 dropped spindles and Wilwood disc brakes.
I know I added .38 per side with the Wilwood kit. Are you saying I also added .5 per side due to going from drum to disc spindles?
I still haven稚 had a chance to measure my track width as it sits. I hope to get it done tomorrow.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 4:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage
Hi. Lee. Crap.
I just measured disc-to-disc at the wheel mounting surface and it measures at 61” exactly.
I lifted the car with a two post lift, removed the wheels and it back down with jack stands under the lower control arms. Then I used a square to take this measurements to the level concrete floor.
I’m 3” wider than stock!!! That’s 1.5” per side!! No wonder my skinny little tires on narrow rims rub the front fenders.
Am I correct in my methodology (see OP)for measuring track width??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30271EC9-7562-4B34-9FFB-DFA8DC17EB2A_1579552461605.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	394.5 KB
ID:	614116  

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 7:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage
Unhappy Re: Dropped spindles and track width

Never mind....I found the problem.
Me.
i assumed that the stock 14" wheels provided on e Chevelle in 1966 were zero offset and that's not the case. They are 1" offset.
So because track width is measured from the center of one tire to the other the 1" offset means that the 58" published track width would equate to a 60" drum or disc face-to-drum or disc face.
I measured 61" but that includes the increased width of the Wilwood brakes.
So in actuality I'm off by 1/4" or 1/8" per side which is pretty close.
So to recap:
The Hotchkis suspension did not add anything to the track width.
The Superior Spindles dropped spindles did not add anything to the track width.
The Wilwood disc brakes added .38" to each side, 0.76" total to the track width
My tires still rub.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 9:16 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

If you have it in you to drop the sway bar, shock, and pull the spring out of one side you could get an angle finder and measure your camber curve as I mentioned in your previous thread. Maybe contact Hotchkis about your problem. Again, I highly doubt bolting on their suspension did anything for the stock backwards camber curve with stock height spindles.

I used a $20 angle finder from Home Depot stuck to the face of the hub. From full droop to compressed suspension I had +3.5 degrees of camber. Tall ball joints literally reversed the curve.

I have SPC fully adjustable uppers which made dialing in the alignment a breeze. The way they're set up I had options on the upper ball joint mounting. I could run them above the plate, below the plate, SPC even supplied washers so you could use the stock ball joint and fake the curve by placing spacers between the a-arm and balljoint face. I tried all the options and ended up with the tall ball joint mounted in the "stock" location. I also added 0.5" lower balljoints to cure the stock a-body bump steer. The difference in driving is unbelievable, I honestly never thought something so seemingly insignificant could change the entire driving experience.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in