Leaky Valve - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 8:06 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Scott

Leaky Valve

I have just installed a new master cylinder, booster, lines, hold off valve and distribution block. I bench bled the master and hooked up the lines last night and I had fluid leaking out of the lower line on the dist. block. Without no pressure but gravity it was leaking slowly. I tried to tighten it up and it still leaked. I thought the line might be bad so I took it off and it looked fine. I replaced it with another one I had because I had 2 sets of short lines. It seemed to be ok when I left it last night but when I came out today I had fluid all over the floor. It had been leaking out of the lower line again and also out of the back of the hold off valve, by the rubber cap. Again just gravity, I have not bled the system yet. I have read in a past forum that there was a problem with these from a certain manufacturer. Is this still an ongoing problem? This same company I got the kit from got back to me 3 days later by e-mail on the booster pin being to long problem. They told me their brake tech has never heard of a booster pin being to long. Go figure. I pleaded by e-mail for the chance to talk to someone in person but to no avail. Now I e-mailed about the valve problem and we will see what they say about that. Probably never heard about that either. My problem will be that I bought the stuff a year ago and am just now installing it. If they replace the valve am I going to get the same crap? If they don't where can I get a good one? And I have no idea why the dist. block is leaking, that is a whole other problem. Any help would be appreciated. It is a 69 .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 8:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage
Re: Leaky Valve

I had a brand new Combination Valve leak on my 71 Malibu before I even got to bleed the brakes. My valve is mounted on the drivers side frame rail. I did a write up on it with a poll but I can't find it. The valves that were failing the most were coming from Inline Tube where I bought my first one from. I bought my second one from the Right Stuff and haven't had any problems with it. There were quite a few failing back around 2015 but I haven't heard of any lately.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Scott

I did find that poll that you took and read all the posts and all the problems that were had. It was a few years back. I did buy mine from inline tube. Thought maybe the problem was fixed but obviously not. Did they give you your money back? Mine also leaks before I even bled the brakes. The only way to communicate with them is e-mail. Very frustrating.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 20, 3:52 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squink1 View Post
I did find that poll that you took and read all the posts and all the problems that were had. It was a few years back. I did buy mine from inline tube. Thought maybe the problem was fixed but obviously not. Did they give you your money back? Mine also leaks before I even bled the brakes. The only way to communicate with them is e-mail. Very frustrating.
I was reading all the problems that others were having and hoped I didn't have problems when I finally got around to doing mine. Sure enough it leaked and I was pissed. I did that poll to see how many others that had problems with the valves they bought and I got quite a few responses. I too had bought mine way in advance so getting it replaced under any warranty I figured was out of the question. It seemed like others had the best luck with the Right Stuff Valves. I ordered one from them but I decided to let Inline Tube know about the problem because to me it is safety related. I got the same answer this is the first time I ever heard that. Then I hit him with the poll I had taken and told him the website it was on and that they had the worst valves out there. They decided to send me a new valve but I used the one from the Right Stuff instead. On the one that leaked I had gotten the one that had the aluminum connector where the wire attaches to and that's where it was leaking from. Both the one that is in the car and the new one Inline sent me had the plastic connector. Good Luck and keep your fingers crossed.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 20, 8:09 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Take a good look at the fittings on the tubes also. One of my customers was in a few weeks ago and was telling me that he has been playing heck finding fittings that are made properly. Apparently some of the offshore fittings are made with the thread sizes not quite correct and there is no way to make them stop leaking. He was saying that some of them would not even screw together properly.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 20, 5:34 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Scott

Mine is the hold off valve that bolts to one of the booster studs. Leaks out of the rubber cap. And the distribution block is on the frame rail. Have not heard back from them yet. Where did you get your Right Stuff valve from? I see Summit carries them, and they have always been good to me when it comes to problems. As for the lines being bad, I don't really know. They seemed to thread in ok because I was able to do it by hand. They leaked out between the line and the fitting like the flare wasn't even there. Very frustrated .
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 20, 6:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

I probably got my valve directly from the Right Stuff but I'm not sure it's been quite a few years. What does your valve look like is it a small round cast part or a long flat brass part. I don't know if you have SS lines or not but sometimes there hard to seat. What you need to do is tighten them and back them off at least a few times to seat them good.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Scott

My valve is the smaller round cast one. I think they call it a hold off valve or combination valve. I will try and loosen and tighten the lines to get them to seat. Thanks for that, I have never tried that before. The lines are just regular lines not stainless. Thank you all for the input. I will keep you posted when I hear back from them.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 11:22 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Garage

Quote:
I did buy mine from inline tube. The only way to communicate with them is e-mail. Very frustrating.
VERY frustrating indeed!

And if you manage to actually talk to a live person; he wants to get back to you via email..... and when he eventually gets back to you - well, mine turned out to be so short and uninformative.

So I bought elsewhere, which is so sad because they have a great product offering, but without great customer support - they are like buying from an unknown seller on fleabay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

66 Malibu......back to life with a 427 BB & 4 speed
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 12:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
My valve is the smaller round cast one. I think they call it a hold off valve or combination valve. I will try and loosen and tighten the lines to get them to seat. Thanks for that, I have never tried that before. The lines are just regular lines not stainless. Thank you all for the input. I will keep you posted when I hear back from them.
When I did my brake system over I put everything brand new into it that had brake fluid running thru it. I too just used the regular steel prebent lines from Inline and even some of those I had to do the tightening, back off trick on some of them. My car had front disc brakes already on it from the factory. The combination valve was mounted on the frame rail that had 2 lines coming off the MC that ran down to the valve. I have no type of valve up near the power booster. The ones that were leaking weren't the round ones but were the flat brass ones. Don't be surprised if you don't hear back from Inline a lot of people say they have poor customer service.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 2:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

This is the valve if you read the reviews one person said his leaked too at the back rubber seal.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rsd-pv68/overview/

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 10:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

I had one leak as well... not only from the rubber end cap, but from the switch terminal too. I can't recall if I purchased it from Inline or not but I'm fairly certain I did because they advertised having the "right" brake light terminal connection. I bought my replacement from Summit. It hasn't leaked yet, but then again, it wasn't driven much after it was installed before the car got taken to pieces. Oh, and I just swapped that terminal over to the one I got from Summit.

2017 SS
1972 El Camino Custom
2005 SSR 6-speed
1999 Silverado
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 9:03 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Scott

Thanks Hank, that is the valve I have that is leaking out of the rubber boot. I still have not heard back from them yet. It was 4 days last time before I received an e-mail back. And when I received that e-mail I sent one back immediately and waited another 2 days for a reply.
HKalin likes this.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 9:53 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR71 View Post
I had one leak as well... not only from the rubber end cap, but from the switch terminal too. I can't recall if I purchased it from Inline or not but I'm fairly certain I did because they advertised having the "right" brake light terminal connection. I bought my replacement from Summit. It hasn't leaked yet, but then again, it wasn't driven much after it was installed before the car got taken to pieces. Oh, and I just swapped that terminal over to the one I got from Summit.
Was the "right" terminal made out of aluminum not plastic. Mine was aluminum and that's where it leaked from. I took the terminal apart and it seemed like a piece of $hit the way it was put together. The replacement valve that Inline sent me and the one I bought from the Right Stuff both had the plastic terminal that dosen't leak. There were other guys at that time that the valves leaked right away mostly from the rubber cap.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 10:04 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Thanks Hank, that is the valve I have that is leaking out of the rubber boot. I still have not heard back from them yet. It was 4 days last time before I received an e-mail back. And when I received that e-mail I sent one back immediately and waited another 2 days for a reply.
On "Jegs" website they carry both the Right Stuff hold off valve and one that has their own name on it. https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/631300/10002/-1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in