Team Chevelle banner

1966 Chevelle Sway Bar Bushings?

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  JBalz 
#1 ·
Problem: Does anyone have a source for sway bar bushing replacements for my 1966 SS396. The sway bar size is 15/16.

I have searched exhaustively and even found a link on Chevelle Tech that mentioned my EXACT problem citing possible PN# 3903084, though my AIM shows another PN# 383492, though that has a ID hole of 3/4.

Unless someone knows a place I can source the proper bushing I figure I can...

#1 Modify another couple of bushing to fit, though this idea doesn't thrill me.

#2 I have seen some 15/16 in Poly bushings that come with brackets that would probably work ok.

If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Problem: Does anyone have a source for sway bar bushing replacements for my 1966 SS396. The sway bar size is 15/16.

I have searched exhaustively and even found a link on Chevelle Tech that mentioned my EXACT problem citing possible PN# 3903084, though my AIM shows another PN# 383492, though that has a ID hole of 3/4.

Unless someone knows a place I can source the proper bushing I figure I can...

#1 Modify another couple of bushing to fit, though this idea doesn't thrill me.

#2 I have seen some 15/16 in Poly bushings that come with brackets that would probably work ok.

If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.
I had to order a few different sets to fit my '64 Wagon. AC Delco, Moog etc. I got the part numbers from Rock Auto, ordered them from Amazon & sent back the ones that didn't work. Finally found a set that fit, but my bar isn't at thick as yours.

Worst case scenario, you can use black poly bushings with your stock brackets.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have thus far ordered 2 different sets of bushings and neither were even close. What I noticed about the stock bushings is that they are uniquely "squareish". Sqattie really. The replacements I ordered were more elongated, so I am somewhat pessimistic about finding a proper replacement.

If any one has any further input, it would be quite welcome. Thanks.

#5 ·
#8 ·
Rock auto has a stabilizer bar bushing listed for a 15/16th sway bar for a 70 or 71 Chevelle / ElCamino bar.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=202718&cc=1039395&jsn=592

Since the 15/16 bar (according to the aftermarket not me) doesn't exist for a 66 you could just use a later Chevelle's bushings.These may work just fine for you.

Reactions: Kirk's67SS
#10 ·
Update for any others who embark on this particular mission. Received these today... and they are exactly correct.

Apparently, at least some of the 1966 Chevelle SS's (convertible in this case) shared a sway bar with the Corvette? My AIM certainly didn't reflect that.

In any event, I am quite happy to have an exact replacement available and want to thank all that helped out, particularly "Pete 67" who had the correct answer.

#11 ·
Update for any others who embark on this particular mission. Received these today...https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KN0C1QW?tag=chevellesconvert-20 and they are exactly correct.

Apparently, at least some of the 1966 Chevelle SS's (convertible in this case) shared a sway bar with the Corvette? My AIM certainly didn't reflect that.

In any event, I am quite happy to have an exact replacement available and want to thank all that helped out, particularly "Pete 67" who had the correct answer.
Don't know about 66's, but 67 SS Chevelles came with a 15/16" front sway bar.

66's and 67's are basically identical.

I replaced my sway bar with a 1-1/4".

Reactions: Kirk's67SS
#14 ·
I have a late 66 build 67 El Camino BB with a 15/16 sway bar. After 2 incorrect sets of bushings from parts vendors, I picked up on this thread and purchased the Vette bushings noted above. These were more ‘square’ than the taller, narrower ones I had tried, and they fit the way they should in the bracket. Can confirm these are a better replacement than the atypical search return.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.