hydroboost no accumulator ? - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

18Likes
  • 2 Post By senna
  • 3 Post By red68chevL
  • 2 Post By Old Bear
  • 4 Post By OLDED
  • 3 Post By GoFast Beaumont
  • 1 Post By Hotwire
  • 3 Post By jackie schmidt

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 19, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
jim

hydroboost no accumulator ?

im looking at a used hydroboost unit. it has no accumulator on it ,all the units i see have one on it.
i understand i will have a hard brake pedal without the motor running . are these units any good ?
it has the billet firewall plate and braided line kit . thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 19, 11:43 PM
Tech Team
Troy

Re: hydroboost no accumulator ?

From what I understand, without an accumulator if you lose engine power there is no reserve boost to assist stopping the vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
OLDED and BillyGman like this.

66 CHEVELLE
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 20, 8:52 PM
Steve

Garage

I am in the middle of taking my Hydro out and replacing it with a regular booster and MC. My carb would load up, now rebuilt, and I wouldn't have any brakes once the car stalled. Hated this system. I don't know why someone would want this type of system. It scared me when I had nothing as far as brakes.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 20, 12:03 AM
Tech Team
Eddie

Garage

I have hydroboost on my Cutlass. I've been having some issues with ignition and engine shut off few times on me when I was test driving, I had no issues stopping the car. The pedal was normal, not hard at all, actually I didn't even think about it until I've seen this thread.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 20, 8:17 PM
Steve

Garage

Eddy I absolutely hated the system. It was on the car when I bought it. Either mine was faulty or it wasn't hooked up correctly. Either way its off the car. I have a small block, disc from drum rear so I didn't see the need for it. Its not like I didn't have any vacume and needed this system. If anyone wants one, let me know, send me an email.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 20, 10:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambird View Post
Eddy I absolutely hated the system. It was on the car when I bought it. Either mine was faulty or it wasn't hooked up correctly. Either way its off the car. I have a small block, disc from drum rear so I didn't see the need for it. Its not like I didn't have any vacume and needed this system. If anyone wants one, let me know, send me an email.
This is really stunning. I put one on my car for the exact reason you complain about it. I had a really hard pedal with the vacuum Booster, had a SBC 327, big cam, low speed vacuum was terrible. Hydroboost completely solved the problem.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
David Bates, OLDED and Old Bear like this.

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
700R4
This is how we roll:

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 20, 1:00 AM
Tech Team
Gale & his cats

JPVelle
I would look for a unit with the accumulator.

Here is a discussion on switching to Hydroboost.
Conversion to Hydro Boost Brake System - 1970 El Camino
https://www.elcaminocentral.com/thre...3#post-2513942

Here is a discussion on Cutlass and hydroboost.
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/16-...ss-unreal.html
Maybe there is a solution for CamBird there. Possibly in discussions about pedal leverage fulcrum and bore sizes.

Old Bear - Doing fine with my hydroboost conversion.
David Bates and red68chevL like this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 20, 6:27 PM
Team Member
Ed

Garage

My hydra-boost is maybe the best driveability improvement I've done to my 65. You do need a unit with the accumulator. I use a unit from an Astro Van and a pump from a 3500 Van - with 2 return nipples. I used stock mid 80's Buick Le Sabre pressure hoses for the diesel engine and they are a direct fit.

OLDED - It's STOCK if it's made by GM and it fits!

*65 Elky, Gen VI 496 BBC, TH400
*59 Vette, 283/270 hp. T5 5 spd., 4:11 posi.
*Harley - 06 Street Bob
*Life Member - Team Chevelle & Team ElCamino
*Peach State Chevelle Member
*Retired June 1, 2014****
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 2:08 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpvelle View Post
im looking at a used hydroboost unit. it has no accumulator on it ,all the units i see have one on it.
i understand i will have a hard brake pedal without the motor running . are these units any good ?
it has the billet firewall plate and braided line kit . thanks

having had a recent major engine failure I would strongly recommend against this purchase. I too have a hydro-boost system. my engine failed at approx. 80mph, I would have liked to stopped faster. As a result I picked up a new hydro-boost with a oversize accumulator, it came off a 2005 Yukon XL.
71350SS, OLDED and Hotwire like this.

1968 Beaumont
502 big block
Stock looking, definitely not stock sounding
HP and ET not determined yet!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 3:54 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFast Beaumont View Post
having had a recent major engine failure I would strongly recommend against this purchase. I too have a hydro-boost system. my engine failed at approx. 80mph, I would have liked to stopped faster. As a result I picked up a new hydro-boost with a oversize accumulator, it came off a 2005 Yukon XL.
Exact same one I'm running on my 64, big accumulator. Have had my engine stall on me a couple times while tuning it but has been nothing but awesome since then. Running sticky 255/40/17s with cheap pads and stock 70's style rotors, can easily pick you up out of the seat or completely lock them up.
71350SS likes this.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 9:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

Just get a Hydo-Boost with the accumulator. Problem solved.

I love my Hydro-Boost.
71350SS, OLDED and Hotwire like this.

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in