Weird Alignment Issue - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 19, 1:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Weird Alignment Issue

A year ago I bought a 67 Chevelle SS that already had a QA1 Street Performance upper control arms and sway bar installed. The lower arms, springs and shocks are still basically stock. It also had the stock power steering box, which was really sloppy. I recently installed a new Borgeson 12.7:1 box. The steering was then nice and tight...huge improvement. No more constant steering input on the freeway. The car did want to slowly track to the right, so I brought it in for alignment. Now I'm wondering what the heck is going on with these caster numbers. NEGATIVE 3.15, are you kiddin' me?

The shop is competent and their equipment is top notch. They have done other vintage cars for me in the past with good results. They just couldn't dial in any more positive caster. I got on the phone with QA1 support and we went over the possible issues. The arms are on the correct side, the cross shafts are installed correctly, ball joints appear correctly aligned. The only thing we haven't done is adjust the upper ball joint mount (the QA1's are adjustable). I'll try that, but I don't think there is 8 degrees of positive adjustment there.

Any advice or knowledge would be appreciated at this point. The car drives fine really. Maybe it steers a little too easy, but it doesn't wander and tracks straight. No bump steer either.

Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67 Chevelle crop 2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	607110  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 19, 1:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kim

Garage
Re: Weird Alignment Issue

I just went through something similar but a little different. Installed new tubular upper and lower control arms and ASSUMED they were properly matched.Turned out the lower control arms were 1" too short, but I assumed they were correct so kept trying to push the camber out. Scratched my head a bit before I figured it out.
With yours, it seems the upper control arm center isn't jiving with the lower? That's obviously a ton of caster, seems the parts aren't right.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 19, 3:45 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Are you sure that those new upper arms are compatible with stock lower arms? Some aftermarket arms move the ball joint locations around to improve overall geometry. Point being, those aftermarket upper arms may only be intended to be used with matching aftermarket lower arms.

Also, I think those aftermarket arms have offset cross shafts so if those cross shafts are installed wrong or 180 degrees out they would jack with the caster in a bad way I'd think.
hydro462 likes this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich Cummings

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 19, 4:54 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank69 View Post

Any advice or knowledge would be appreciated at this point. The car drives fine really. Maybe it steers a little too easy, but it doesn't wander and tracks straight. No bump steer either.

Frank
I bring no good advice or knowledge, other than to ask a question.....does the steering return to center? My alignment shop is not top notch (i didnt know this before hand), when they first did my alignment, they set it back to factory specs, and it really didnt return much. When i went back with numbers i got from people here, return to center improved, and is almost 100%, but they could only get +2 degrees with factory control arms.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 19, 5:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70montee View Post
I bring no good advice or knowledge, other than to ask a question.....does the steering return to center? My alignment shop is not top notch (i didnt know this before hand), when they first did my alignment, they set it back to factory specs, and it really didnt return much. When i went back with numbers i got from people here, return to center improved, and is almost 100%, but they could only get +2 degrees with factory control arms.
Pos 2* is a very good setting for stock control arms. Be happy.
71350SS likes this.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 19, 5:26 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Frank, can you post pictures of your shim pack on both passenger and drivers sides upper control arms?

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 19, 5:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post
Are you sure that those new upper arms are compatible with stock lower arms? Some aftermarket arms move the ball joint locations around to improve overall geometry. Point being, those aftermarket upper arms may only be intended to be used with matching aftermarket lower arms.

Also, I think those aftermarket arms have offset cross shafts so if those cross shafts are installed wrong or 180 degrees out they would jack with the caster in a bad way I'd think.

According to tech at QA1, these arms are compatible with stock lowers. I thought the same thing right away, that the PO might have mounted the control arms on the wrong sides. According to QA1tech, the "QA1" sticker is on the forward side of the control arms (not a definitive identifier obviously, but mine are towards the front) and the "bent" side of the control arms should also be towards the front of the car, with the straighter arm towards the rear. Mine appears to be correct, but tomorrow I'll jack it up, pull the tires and check for sure.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 19, 6:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
Frank, can you post pictures of your shim pack on both passenger and drivers sides upper control arms?

Here you go.

Driver's Side Front: 10mm (total)
Driver's Side Rear: 5mm

Pass Side Front: no shims
Pass Side Rear: 5mm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2127.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	607156   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2126.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	607158  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 19, 6:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Can you post a picture of the balljoint end of the arms?

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 19, 7:03 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Not seeing why they didn't give you some positive castor, you have plenty of adjustment on those shim packs. They have more on the front than the rear (driver's side), never seen that before. When you say they couldn't give you more pos. castor, did they give a reason?
Pete 67 and hydro462 like this.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 19, 7:22 PM
Tech Team
Jim

When I installed my UMI uppers, I made the mistake of getting them on the wrong sides. This was even after reading instructions and thinking I had them on correct. With them on the wrong side, I was getting over 10* of positive caster, so I don't think that's your issue.

jim
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 19, 8:22 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank69 View Post
Here you go.

Driver's Side Front: 10mm (total)
Driver's Side Rear: 5mm

Pass Side Front: no shims
Pass Side Rear: 5mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
Not seeing why they didn't give you some positive castor, you have plenty of adjustment on those shim packs. They have more on the front than the rear (driver's side), never seen that before. When you say they couldn't give you more pos. castor, did they give a reason?
I agree. I think you need to find a better alignment shop.
71350SS and lucifershammer like this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 19, 3:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim's69Ragtop View Post
When I installed my UMI uppers, I made the mistake of getting them on the wrong sides. This was even after reading instructions and thinking I had them on correct. With them on the wrong side, I was getting over 10* of positive caster, so I don't think that's your issue.

jim

Thanks Jim, feel better knowing I was not the only one to put them on backwards.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 19, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hereís some photos of the driverís side upper control arm. Some of the guys over on the pro-touring forum say theyíre mounted on the wrong side, but QA1 tech doesnít think so. Any opinion? Iíll get the left/right arm measurements from QA1 today and verify.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 19, 12:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

I think they are on the wrong sides also. Don't those arms have some pos. caster built in?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in