Brake update 72 Elco LS - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By hydro462

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 19, 8:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
neil

Brake update 72 Elco LS

Hey guys
Im in the preplanning stages of my winter project which is updating my brakes. I currently have a plain jane power disc conversion up front and drums in the rear. I primarily drive highway and road trips and want better brakes for safety, I have no racing intentions. Im leaning towards a C5 conversion using CPP spindles and sourcing the rest of the parts on rockauto. This seems the most economical, I can get parts on the road, and will raise my front end back up(im lowered 2.5" right now with Fatman tall drop spindles) I also dig the C5 sealed hubs. The kicker is I have 17" Torq Thrusts,,, so a wheel spacer is required which I'm not a huge fan of for long highway rides. Maybe they don't cause vibration but it seems like that could be a risk. I've never used a wheel spacer.
The other option is Wilwood Dynapro 6piston w/ stock spindle. These should fit the wheels no problem. Im not totally convinced I would see a huge difference in braking for the price though.

I have yet to look into the rear brakes yet. I know Ill need a good MC and proportioning valve Im thinking about going wildwood adjustable. I would also like to know more about residual valves and if this is something I would need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 19, 10:38 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Re: Brake update 72 Elco LS

If you have the factory disc / drum set up, try a set of Porterfield pads and shoes. They transformed my 69 brakes into a modern car that stops on the dime.. If you go on there site, you have to look under Chevelle, for some reason they don't list them for el Camino..
These things work!

Use the R4-S pads. They are designed for Street use..
https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/P...field%20Brakes
fasst450 likes this.

Last edited by hydro462; Oct 2nd, 19 at 10:58 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 19, 1:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
neil

Re: Brake update 72 Elco LS

Man I wish I would have known about Porterfield brakes 2 months ago! I may give them a try. How long do they hold up for?

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in