Front coilover (adjustable) feedback - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By UMI Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 19, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Front coilover (adjustable) feedback

Want to raise the front of my 67 ec about 3/8"
Have alum spacer I could slip under the spring Im ok with it...

With coilovers wouldnt all the load be put on the shock area held in by 2 bolts is that even safe?

Would only do it for ride height. Some days I Want to take the skinnies off and put some 265/50s back on as it rode/handled so well. Not in a hurry to experiment with springs again

Worth it??Not? Brand?

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 19, 12:22 PM
Tech Team
Eddie

Garage
Re: Front coilover (adjustable) feedback

I've been happy with single adjustable QA1 that are on my cutlass. They've been on the car for 5-6 years now, and about 20k miles. I drive the crap out of that car often though windy mountain roads. No issues to report.
I am running QA1 Upper and lower CA's too. Bought the same Coilovers and UMI CA's for the Chevelle, mostly cause I found a good deal that I couldn't pass up.

It's worth it if you are planning on changing ride height often. As far as the ride comfort or handling, I haven't seen or felt much improvement over UMI drop springs and adjustable shocks that were on the car before.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 19, 11:47 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

I was thinking the same thing. the weight of the front end held up be the thickness of the lower control arm sheet metal.
my latest el camino came with the coil.over setup with beefy tubular control arms and I feel a little better with the aftermarket control arms. it's just beefier where the coil overs mount. jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 19, 10:36 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Jim
I bought UMI Perf Front Tubular U & L Control Arms and Front Viking DA Coil Overs
the Lower Control Arm Pocket Metal is very Thick where the Coil Over Shock Mounts

Set Ride Height where ever I want it to be and set the DA Shocks to the Ride Quality I wanted
eg. Street / Road Course / Drag

The difference in Ride & Stability on the Street in Corners etc. was like from Night to Day

Also bought the Viking DA Shocks for the Rear

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 19, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Maybe I should look into stronger control arms that makes sense thanks.
Which brand actually helps with the steering geometry/no goofy ball joint angle as the car is lowered?

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 19, 12:30 PM
Tech Team
Eddie

Garage

For the control arms I like QA1 and UMI. QA1 are designed to add 3-4 degrees of caster and 0.5 to 1 degree, I think UMI are the same. One thing I like about QA1 CA's is they are designed for coilovers. they with the adapter plate that mounts on the bottom and spreads the load slightly better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Messages Image(1868258716).png
Views:	7
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	604590   Click image for larger version

Name:	QA1 CA.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	604592  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 19, 1:48 PM

Thanks Greg for the shout out.

The UMI arms are thick enough to handle the two bolt loading fer sure. Factory arms in good condition don't have much trouble if that's the route you want to go as well.

The Vikings are our preference nowadays due to the quality and value. QA1 is also very good and they've been in the game a long time.

The benefits of c/o of course are ride height adjustability and damping adjustability. For a cruiser car, a standard spring and good shock of course work fine.

3/8 shim will get you about 3/4 at the fender due to motion ratio.

Any questions, let me know.

[email protected]
Kirk's67SS likes this.

UMI Technical Support

814-376-6000

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 19, 2:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

I may call you ramey> not like i can buy it today but these springs over time even from being in the garage are slowly sagging (brand new) starting to p me off.
I dont want something unsafe but dont have it to blow either. I love the big/skinny look but miss the ride with more rubber up front. I can never make up my mind.

How would a 3/8 spacer raise it 3/4 (that woul be too much)? This thing was fun to throw in corners at one point

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in