Lee 12:1 box getting sloppier - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pioneer4x4

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 19, 1:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Lee 12:1 box getting sloppier

Lee wants me to buy another one, in short

Has 60 miles on it gets sloppier the more I drive it

Everything under it is new/tight, new rag joint even rebuilt the column

How can I adjust this thing moneys not flowing yet

If i had to replace it whats a good bolt in box where my lines etc will bolt right up?
This thing wasnt cheap not real happy with it.
First 30 mi worked great.

67 EC

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 19, 2:31 PM
Tech Team
Jason

Weird.(possibly it’s air in the lines) When was it built? Was it bought directly from Lee? Can you post a couple pictures of the box. I bought mine years ago from the old man a few years before they shut down and reopened. Have someone video the shaft turning and the box not responding if possible to verify it’s the box.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 19, 2:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage
Re: Lee 12:1 box getting sloppier

JGC swap, simple, cheap, you can get everything but the lines/adapters in a junk yard for WAY under $100. Heck, for $50 you can probably get them to pull it, I did.
If you swap the pump port to the new style you can use off the shelf Camaro pressure line, and use the fitting from the Jeep for the return line.
B52bombardier1 likes this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 19, 2:49 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Have somebody turn the box right and left very slightly while on center using the mark Lee puts on the shaft... Make sure its the box.. Or find a way to lock the pittmen arm with vice scripps while on perfect center. Then turn the wheels slightly and see how much play there is..

Lee was very interested in how things went with my box swap and if I was happy with everything.. They called me a couple times asking if I was happy with there box..
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 19, 3:12 PM
Tech Team
Jason

Make sure the adjustment screw hasn’t moved. You can see the yellow marks should line up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A10D58F5-D161-436B-8844-45A46FED0B70_1569521518811.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	604170  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 19, 3:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Pn for a ready to go box?
honestly lee was an ahole from day 1
I brought him my box and a F body from the junyard like he wanted, took months charged almost 5 bills and was rude.

Yrs later when I got it running and noticed the slop I simply called and asked him what I can do to fix it myself. Nothingelse

Right off the bat he starts yelling/swearing and wanting another $500 and Id have to wait months"Take it or dont" and hung up on me.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 19, 6:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I did the JGC conversion about 6 years ago or 6000 miles myself with limited mechanical experience . Havent noticed any change. Sounds as if Lee changed the T bar and worm gear. Did you stay with your old 13/16 input and coupler that the 67 ElCamino used? Maybe the locking nut on the top of you pitman shaft moved, allowing slop between the worm gear and the pitman shaft teeth?

There is a way to retain an original gear box, cover, and pitman shaft when doing the JGC swap

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 19, 6:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Yes I bought it in person from him.

Brought him my original and a trans am junkyard box like he wanted still paid 5 bill (May have been 4 and change)
Many years ago.

I just want to know if I Can somehow adjust this thing without taking it to anyone, thanks.

Quote:

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 19, 7:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Yes, you adjust using an allen wrench in the top of the cover. Loosen to lock, turning the allenwrench pulles the pinion shaft teeth tighter into the worn grear; but you have to have the worn gear centered. Then lock the nut down to make sure the pinion shaft doesnt move up or down.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in