1970 Chevelle front end question - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 19, 4:09 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 67
Garage
1970 Chevelle front end question

Why when looking at the front of my Chevelle do the front tires sometimes seem to be pitched outward at the bottom like the front is squatting. Other times everything looks fine. I understand caster and camber but since its not a consistent look I have some concern. Front end was rebuilt and aligned some time ago and she appears to be running true with no weird tire wear yet.


I am getting ready to change the steering box and pump as neither seems normal. I have got lots of noise from the pump and weird feelings (play) in the wheel going on. I used some Lucas additive and it worked for awhile but I think its time to replace the box and pump which is leaking. Not sure if theses items and/or issues are related. That said any recommendations as to a better ratio box and good pump would be appreciated!
eagleguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 19, 4:25 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Poteau, Ok
Posts: 4,231
Re: 1970 Chevelle front end question

Sometimes an optical allusion based on the angle at which your looking at it.
LeoP likes this.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
oldcutlass is online now  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 8:51 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa.
Posts: 2,053
Re: 1970 Chevelle front end question

Call Lee and checkout one of there 800 Series 14:1 boxes. If you like a lot of road feel and a fast, positive snap back to center after turning, ask them about the 30Lb valve..
For what they do in the blueprinting process, its well worth the $545.00. You could also get the pump from them and they will set them up to work together..

Lee 661-568-9170

https://leepowersteering.com/collections/gearboxes
SSJohn likes this.

Last edited by hydro462; Sep 23rd, 19 at 9:11 AM.
hydro462 is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 9:32 AM
Tech Team
John
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: 55.916, 10.733
Posts: 533
Re: 1970 Chevelle front end question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro462 View Post
Call Lee and checkout one of there 800 Series 14:1 boxes. If you like a lot of road feel and a fast, positive snap back to center after turning, ask them about the 30Lb valve..
For what they do in the blueprinting process, its well worth the $545.00. You could also get the pump from them and they will set them up to work together..

Lee 661-568-9170

https://leepowersteering.com/collections/gearboxes
The Lee box is a work of art. I have the 12.1 box, something I had to get used to, the steering was quick. Itís worth every penny.

On another note, many on this site will recommend the JGC (Jeep Grand Cherokee) box. Many seem to like it.
B52bombardier1 likes this.
SSJohn is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 67
Garage
Re: 1970 Chevelle front end question

Thanks
eagleguy is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 12:37 PM
Tech Team
Rick
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Bossier City, Louisiana
Posts: 654
Re: 1970 Chevelle front end question

Yes, the JGC steering box works well for me. Any 93-98 JGC box, not Sport and not Laredo should work. Nice price and I needed a Dorman 31011 rag joint for the steering shaft.

Fifty bucks pulled by the yard people. Great road feel.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
B52bombardier1 is online now  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 1:10 PM
Senior Tech Team
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 10,928
Re: 1970 Chevelle front end question

I think the issue you may be seeing could be related to how the car is parked. With my race car, I found that if I backed it up, the toe kinda put the car in a bind and pulled the control arms down and made the car look lower. But roll forward and it was gone.
bracketchev1221 is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 1:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: In the Shadow of GIANTS stadium,N.J.
Posts: 7,562
Garage
Re: 1970 Chevelle front end question

Sometimes alignment shops don't check the front end out thoroughly because if the FE needs work then they can't do the alignment till its fixed.So you should check the front end out yourself if you can or get someone you know who's experienced at checking a car out.Your look at the tire and saying it sometimes leaning in at the top could be something worn out and a worn out steering box wouldn't cause that look.
...Start by jacking the front end up with a floor jack under the lower control arm.Position the jack around where the spring seats in the lower control arm or(LCA).OR better yet,use two jack stands and a floor jack.Jack it up at the frame and then position the jack stand under the LCA right under the spring pocket.Do this on both sides.That loads the suspension enough to check it out properly.
...After you get the tire up enough to grasp it at 6 and 12 o'clock you can check for ball joint and control arm bushing play (or looseness).Push in at the top while pulling out at the bottom and repeat rapidly. There should be no excessive movement.
...If you do feel movement you'll need to see exactly where its coming from.If you're not used to doing this yourself it helps to have someone to look while you work the suspension movements.
Now to check the steering linkage (idler arm,center link,tie rods & sleeves) grasp the tire at 3 and 9 O'clock and repeat the push/pull motion.There should be steering movement but the linkage shouldn't have any excessive play at each joint.
Check it out first before you start any replacements so you know what needs fixin and what is still good.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
71350SS is online now  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 19, 5:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 67
Garage
Re: 1970 Chevelle front end question

Would this replacement power steering box work? Ratio sounds nice.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303255945682
eagleguy is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 19, 6:54 PM
Tech Team
Rick
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Bossier City, Louisiana
Posts: 654
Re: 1970 Chevelle front end question

It indicates that it is compatible with my 70 El Camino - virtually the same front end components as a 70 Chevelle.

However, I'm a bigger fan of pulling a known good junk yard steering box out of a Jeep Grand Cherokee for $25 myself or pay another $25 to the yard for them to pull it. It all worked out for me in doing it this way.

Rick

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
B52bombardier1 is online now  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 19, 8:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 1,532
Garage
Re: 1970 Chevelle front end question

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52bombardier1 View Post
Yes, the JGC steering box works well for me. Any 93-98 JGC box, not Sport and not Laredo should work. Nice price and I needed a Dorman 31011 rag joint for the steering shaft.

Fifty bucks pulled by the yard people. Great road feel.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleguy View Post
Would this replacement power steering box work? Ratio sounds nice.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303255945682
Don't waste your money when a rebuilt 92-98 Jeep Grand Cherokee box from Rockauto is $140 (Lares 1353)

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ring+gear,7416

Use the rag joint recommended by B52 and get the metric fitting adapters mentioned in this article :

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2014/...arly-chevelle/

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
nashville beth is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 19, 8:02 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 67
Garage
Re: 1970 Chevelle front end question

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52bombardier1 View Post
It indicates that it is compatible with my 70 El Camino - virtually the same front end components as a 70 Chevelle.

However, I'm a bigger fan of pulling a known good junk yard steering box out of a Jeep Grand Cherokee for $25 myself or pay another $25 to the yard for them to pull it. It all worked out for me in doing it this way.

Rick
93 to 98 JGC? Will any other year work?
eagleguy is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 19, 8:54 AM
Tech Team
Rick
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Bossier City, Louisiana
Posts: 654
Re: 1970 Chevelle front end question

"Will any other year work"? Not that I've heard of. But that span of years for the JGC is absolutely ABUNDANT in the yards. At least around here. At only 25 bucks plus a rag joint, it's really hard to go wrong here by much.

The hardest thing you will do here is to find somebody to press the old Pitman arm from your currently installed steering box.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
B52bombardier1 is online now  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 19, 4:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 67
Garage
Re: 1970 Chevelle front end question

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52bombardier1 View Post
"Will any other year work"? Not that I've heard of. But that span of years for the JGC is absolutely ABUNDANT in the yards. At least around here. At only 25 bucks plus a rag joint, it's really hard to go wrong here by much.

The hardest thing you will do here is to find somebody to press the old Pitman arm from your currently installed steering box.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Is the Jeep box a direct swap?
eagleguy is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 19, 4:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 67
Garage
Re: 1970 Chevelle front end question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville beth View Post
Don't waste your money when a rebuilt 92-98 Jeep Grand Cherokee box from Rockauto is $140 (Lares 1353)

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ring+gear,7416

Use the rag joint recommended by B52 and get the metric fitting adapters mentioned in this article :

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2014/...arly-chevelle/

Are the Lares 1353 box and the rag joint recommended direct swaps. Also is the steering ratio of the Lares box better or the same as OEM?
eagleguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome