Centering rear with adjustable control arms - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Alwhite00

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 2:50 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Centering rear with adjustable control arms

I’m told it’s quite common to not have your differential centered in a factory vehicle. I installed Currie rear arms with adjustable uppers in my 67 Chevelle. I set them to the factory upper length when I installed them. Since I’d like to get as much rear tire width as possible, I found my differential is shifted .5 of an inch to the left. My body is lined up with the frame reference holes.

When I try to even it out, is it better done with springs and shocks in place? Weight on the wheels or unsprung?

In adjusting it, I’m guessing I want to lengthen the arm on the “short side” while shortening the “long side” and equal amount of turns. Correct?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
Soon to be a 427 equipped Tahoe Turquoise head turner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 11:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Garage
Re: Centering rear with adjustable control arms

This UMI video pretty much explains it.

Ed

70 El Camino SS 396
68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
06 Silverado
07 SRX
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 12:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopfjaeger View Post
I’m told it’s quite common to not have your differential centered in a factory vehicle. I installed Currie rear arms with adjustable uppers in my 67 Chevelle. I set them to the factory upper length when I installed them. Since I’d like to get as much rear tire width as possible, I found my differential is shifted .5 of an inch to the left. My body is lined up with the frame reference holes.

When I try to even it out, is it better done with springs and shocks in place? Weight on the wheels or unsprung?

In adjusting it, I’m guessing I want to lengthen the arm on the “short side” while shortening the “long side” and equal amount of turns. Correct?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

I did mine with springs and shocks installed, jack stands on the frame at all 4 corners and floor jack under the diff. I would adjust a bit then let the axle down, jack it back up and measure. I also lined my body up by measuring the frame to wheel lip, not using reference holes. That way you KNOW the body is centered on the frame. Mine was out about the same amount.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 12:54 PM
Senior Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OO52 View Post

I have tried that, it does not work. It cocks the rear to the side but also makes it turn at an angle to forward/rear travel. So when you do a burn out and finally gain traction the rear of the car violently jumps over to which ever side has the longest upper link. Depending on how much you have corrected you will have less or more of this.

The rearend needs to be perpendicular to the frame. You would need adjustable lowers and uppers and even then I wonder how much rear "bumpsteer" would be input during rear suspension travel with unequal side to side bars.

I have lost all respect for UMI.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 1:15 PM
Senior Tech Team

The lowers should keep the rear end square, the uppers set pinion angle and center.
77 cruiser and hydro462 like this.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 (SOLD)

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 4:49 PM

The lower arms, which weren't included in the above video, control wheelbase and thrust angle.

That video is on the list. We just didn't shoot it yet.

ramey

UMI Technical Support

814-376-6000

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 5:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwhite00 View Post
The lowers should keep the rear end square, the uppers set pinion angle and center.
This.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 5:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Thanks all for the tips. So two full turns should put me close.

Tom, My measurements were taken from the frame to the axel face, so my differential is not centered in the frame, but you bring up a very valid point. If I’m looking to maximize my tire width, I need to see where the rear is in relation to the body. I just assumed the body would be symmetrical. It may not be, especially since my quarters and wheel wells were replaced.

Joe

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
Soon to be a 427 equipped Tahoe Turquoise head turner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in