Need help selecting body bushings - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 19, 6:27 PM Thread Starter

Need help selecting body bushings

Hello friends,

I have a 1969 Chevelle Malibu that has some blown out body-to-frame bushings. They appear to be the originals as the rubber is severely rotted out, or missing, in some areas, and the body slams a little when I go over bigger bumps. The car is pretty much stock, with all the factory suspension components. I am not looking to race it or go canyon carving, but a little extra stiffness or performance would be nice. There is the potential to upgrade to tubular control arms and other suspension upgrades in the future. I was originally thinking of using rubber, but I have heard some good things about poly bushings.

Has anyone tried poly and had good or bad experiences ? Any real life, already-been-there, recommendations ?
Thank you for any suggestions.

1969 Chevelle, badged SS396, Hugger Orange, 350, 700R4, 10 bolt, column shift with bench seat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 19, 6:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Re: Need help selecting body bushings

Get rubber ones. I have Energy Suspension poly body mounts and it's much more jarring over bumps now.
Pete 67 and Tarheel Chevelle like this.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 19, 6:41 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Hi Kevin -

I've been running poly bushings from Energy Suspensions for several years now with no complaints. I know a lot of people prefer the original rubber mounts due to ride quality, but if the poly gives a bit harsher feel, I don't really notice it. I've also replaced my front A-arms with poly bushings and did notice more road "feel" over the rubber, mainly on rough roads. I more recently installed UMI tubular uppers which made a huge difference in handling. Still waiting to install their adjustable upper-rear control arms.

You'll get a lot of opinions either way, but I have no regrets about my current setup.

jim

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 19, 7:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

I put new rubber in my Malibu and it's been great. I put poly in my truck and I can't wait to get them out.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 19, 7:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rob

so whats the best purchase for rubber and new hardware?

AMK for the hardware ?

Where do we buy the rubbers

ROB

69 El Camino

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 19, 8:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
mike

Good luck on the bushings, I have 3 sets, none are alike. Some thinner, some thicker, one set has 2 rears taller than the rest. Inline tube supposedly has closest to factory, with correct bolt kit also.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 1:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Garage

I used the inline tube kit for my GTO last spring. The bushings are very good and even included the special Chevrolet bushings for the rear. Bought the hardware from AMES but the Inline Tube hardware should be just as good. If you go with Inline Tube there's numerous options. Chevelle's didn't always have the same amount of bushings as the BOPs. If you want to stiffen the body up a little bit buy the convertible set.
An El Camino should come with full set of bushings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4%TUpS1sRuW+aw90MhTzXw.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	603342   Click image for larger version

Name:	dca3g%vzRj6nvmN4+bScoA.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	603344  
Tarheel Chevelle likes this.

Ed

70 El Camino SS 396
68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
06 Silverado
07 SRX
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 3:23 PM Thread Starter

Hello 0052, thanks for the response. Did you use rubber or poly body bushings ? I'm trying to get peoples opinions as to whether or not they like one, or the other, and why/why not. Have you had a chance to try them out yet ?

I appreciate everyone's feedback so far. Keep 'em coming !

1969 Chevelle, badged SS396, Hugger Orange, 350, 700R4, 10 bolt, column shift with bench seat
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 3:26 PM

Everybody has a different idea about this. If you want rubber bushings, try Original Parts Group. I got a set from them for my '65 El Camino, complete with bolts and washers. All the new RideTech control arms, coil-overs, sway bars, etc. will make it handle great. I just wanted the isolation from road noise, as it will really be a cruiser, not a full-on race car. Besides, I'll be long gone before the rubber bushing start to deteriorate. ;-)

Also, if you're serious about replacing the body bushings, and the current ones look like they are the originals, be prepared for a few potential issues. When I removed the twelve body bolts from the El Camino, five bolts broke, four bolts just spun because the cage nut retainer welds broke, and three came out as they should have. I ended up taking the body to a shop that replaced all twelve cages and nuts. (The cage nuts came from OPG, too.) At least when I dropped the body back on the frame, everything went together easily because it was all new.

I don't mean to discourage anyone from pulling the body off the frame. It made other things easier and it was also kinda cool. But, always remember to be safe! Good luck!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 3:45 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OO52 View Post
I used the inline tube kit for my GTO last spring. The bushings are very good and even included the special Chevrolet bushings for the rear. Bought the hardware from AMES but the Inline Tube hardware should be just as good. If you go with Inline Tube there's numerous options. Chevelle's didn't always have the same amount of bushings as the BOPs. If you want to stiffen the body up a little bit buy the convertible set.
An El Camino should come with full set of bushings.
Ed,

Nice work there! Which company's exhaust system did you go with?

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 4:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Before you try to remove them, use PB Blaster or aerokroil for a few days and let them soak.

It could save you from having to cut something.
Tarheel Chevelle likes this.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 5:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

I had bought a set from Ground Up and thought they were junk. After returning those I bought a set from Inline Tube. They are the closet I've seen to the originals and even have the Chevrolet part number molded right on them. Back then they sold the hardware but it didn't come in kit form and was very expensive. Now they have the kits and the price is reasonable.

P.S. Just noticed your from CT. too.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.

Last edited by HKalin; Sep 14th, 19 at 6:13 PM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 8:26 PM
Tech Team
Greg

Has anyone replaced there body bushings with out lifting the body off the frame. How far does the body need to be lifted up to get the new bushing in place. Also if a bolt breaks off or spins, has anyone cut holes from the floor to access the nut, either to hold it or bolt it together with a standard nut. This is my winter project and do not want to reinvent the wheel

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 9:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete 67 View Post
Ed,

Nice work there! Which company's exhaust system did you go with?
Exhaust is from Inline Tube also. Bought it on Amazon. Saved about 10% and shipping was cheap.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7ezUhKlRTbK+CdpWBj88Rw.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	603430   Click image for larger version

Name:	EvvtGiAQQPuDkrbBaumTnQ.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	603436  
Pete 67 likes this.

Ed

70 El Camino SS 396
68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
06 Silverado
07 SRX

Last edited by OO52; Sep 14th, 19 at 9:47 PM.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 10:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grock-co View Post
Has anyone replaced there body bushings with out lifting the body off the frame. How far does the body need to be lifted up to get the new bushing in place. Also if a bolt breaks off or spins, has anyone cut holes from the floor to access the nut, either to hold it or bolt it together with a standard nut. This is my winter project and do not want to reinvent the wheel
I did one side at a time but lifted little higher to replace the fuel and brake lines and restore the frame. Also installed polygraphite bushings to stiffen my car since it’s a convertible
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CE56D8E9-46BC-4685-9DCE-B760D9E33681_1568515720310.jpg
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	603438   Click image for larger version

Name:	8C6D34BD-231B-4850-B5A1-D9D25D55F8D7_1568515782183.jpg
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	603440   Click image for larger version

Name:	1E15A535-E926-401D-A888-8761FA7CE37E_1568515965268.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	603442  

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in