Best Suspension Upgrades Within Budget - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

5Likes
  • 1 Post By PETE_SIXTY4
  • 1 Post By ZZ69chevelle
  • 3 Post By nashville beth

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 19, 5:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Pete

Best Suspension Upgrades Within Budget

Hey guys. The knowledge and expertise I’ve gone through this site is been incredibly helpful to me and I want to say thank you.

I have about $1000ish to spend on upgrading my suspension on my SBC 64. Currently I already have the B body tall spindle swap. UMI 2” drop springs in the front (higher spring rate), stock springs in the back. KYB shocks in the front and Gabriel HiJacker air shocks in the rear. My next upgrade will be a 12:7:1 steering box in. My turning radius isn’t great because of the spindle swap and I do have some minor rubbing issues. I think I’m going to live with those issues for now, unless someone has a solution for the rubbing other than “buy different wheels.” I will eventually when there’s a deal. My driving is mild. I’m not looking to auto cross or anything too crazy.

Some things I could really use some help with:

1. Would Bilsteins be fine with higher rated 2” drop springs in front and back or do I need to go with something else? There’s not a lot of travel in the front, should I skip new shocks there to save money for something else?

2. What size sway bars should I go with? The front is low, Will I get much benefit with a front bar?

3. If seems like shocks rear springs and sway bars will eat my budget. Is there anything more important than those three for my application?

Thanks so much guys.
DwadeCham likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 19, 8:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Pete

Re: Best Suspension Upgrades Within Budget

4. Coil overs would have the benefit of adjustability, but would they be better than higher rated lowering springs and bilsteins/umi shocks? I could pick up Viking double adjustables for about $1000, but wouldn’t have anything left for sway bars.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 19, 1:13 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Lowering springs out back to match the front, Biltsein shocks all around, front 1.25" and rear 1" sway bars. That's about 2/3 of your budget if you shop around. You can box your rear control arms for almost nothing if you can weld. Beyond the basics of good bushings and tie rod ends, etc. you start to get into more money with stuff like front and rear control arms, roto-joints, and coil-overs, and with less noticeable gains per dollar. Springs, shocks, and sway bars made the biggest improvement per dollar on every car I've done suspension work on, and still kept the ride comfortable.
Not2Fast likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 19, 8:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Just posted in another thread; I did the steering box, 1" lowering springs, KYB shocks, addco sway bars and new bushings for about $800.
2002 Camaro 4 wheel discs for about $750.

4 wheel disc brakes from 98-02 Camaro (12" rotors) - you need to have 17" wheels

BMR 1" lowering springs

Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box

1-1/4" front sway bar and 1" rear bar - addco

KYB monotube shocks

All new moog rubber bushings

And to top it off (not needed in your case) , a Strange S60 rear end with S trac helical posi and 3.73 gears
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5701.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	601434   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5698.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	601436   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5707.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	601438  
1966_L78, Kirk's67SS and Not2Fast like this.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 19, 6:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETE_SIXTY4 View Post
Hey guys. The knowledge and expertise I’ve gone through this site is been incredibly helpful to me and I want to say thank you.

I have about $1000ish to spend on upgrading my suspension on my SBC 64. Currently I already have the B body tall spindle swap. UMI 2” drop springs in the front (higher spring rate), stock springs in the back. KYB shocks in the front and Gabriel HiJacker air shocks in the rear. My next upgrade will be a 12:7:1 steering box in. My turning radius isn’t great because of the spindle swap and I do have some minor rubbing issues. I think I’m going to live with those issues for now, unless someone has a solution for the rubbing other than “buy different wheels.” I will eventually when there’s a deal. My driving is mild. I’m not looking to auto cross or anything too crazy.

Some things I could really use some help with:

1. Would Bilsteins be fine with higher rated 2” drop springs in front and back or do I need to go with something else? There’s not a lot of travel in the front, should I skip new shocks there to save money for something else?

2. What size sway bars should I go with? The front is low, Will I get much benefit with a front bar?

3. If seems like shocks rear springs and sway bars will eat my budget. Is there anything more important than those three for my application?

Thanks so much guys.
IMO, I'd go with the front swaybar (1.25"), along with rear springs/shocks/and maybe a rear swaybar… I'd just use KYB shocks in the rear for now. IMO, the Bilstein's or Viking's won't do YOU much good if you are just driving mildly, the KYB's will be fine for that, but I would get rid of the high-jackers... I'd save shocks for when you are getting new wheels, etc...

I'd also step up and replace any bushings, ball-joints and steering linkage as needed. Keep the front shocks if they are in good shape. Why not do that steering box now too...

For the rear upper arms, I'd go either replacement rubber bushings in the stock upper arms, or step up to Johnny-joints/Roto-joints in all four upper rear positions. Stiff upper rear arms and stiff upper bushings will bind (giving the illusion of "handling" because the car will be so stiff).

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 19, 8:58 PM
Tech Team
Jason

Not sure how tall b-body spindles are so you may need to add $ for the Howe tall ball joints. But I’d go for adjustable SPC Upper Control arms(increase castor) Hellwig pro touring rear sway bar(mainly to get the mounts off the rear lower control arms.) Hellwig front sway bar. This would all be under $1000.
Also your body bushings wouldn’t be a bad idea if they are worn.
New control arm bushings all around. Unless you plan on buying new front lowers(least needed)and rear upper and lowers.(highly recommend UMI with roto joints at all 8 mounting points) and a spherical rear end bearing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60BF5712-E680-4894-BAEE-CAC0D5E730F4_1566780447945.png
Views:	10
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	601518   Click image for larger version

Name:	0C1CA037-18AE-4D43-95CD-FD619A789926_1566780464449.png
Views:	10
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	601520  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in