Right Stuff Rear Rotor Issue - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

2Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 2:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Right Stuff Rear Rotor Issue

Hi All,
Maybe someone can offer some advice. I am doing a 4 wheel disc conversion to my 1966 Chevelle SS. I purchased the Right Stuff kit AFXDC41C. The rear rotors measurements are:
Diameter: 11.13 in./282.70mm

Rotor thickness: 1.000 in

It appears that when the caliper id on the wheel, it is not deep enough, making it too far from the dust plate, they should be much closer. Looks I need a rotor that is deeper. At this point I can't even fit a brake pad in. I have attached a pic to better illustrate the problem, and visuals of how the rotor looks.

Any info would be great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rotor_1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	600470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rotor_2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	600472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rotor_3.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	600474  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 3:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
kevin

Re: Right Stuff Rear Rotor Issue

Been battling with my right stuff kit for nearly 2 years. Mine is on a '68 so probably a little different offset but have the same issue trying to center the pads/caliper. My latest idea is to get some of the mounting plate machined a bit deeper (where it is already machined) maybe .02 or so to try to get the proper offset. mine drag no matter what I have tried! Another option been thinking - is to get some plates from cpp to use except they are $90 a set.. best wishes!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 7:25 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

You're correct, there are a lot of smart, experienced car nuts on this site.

However, my first call would be to Right Stuff Detailing (RSD).

My second call would be to InLine Tube (ILT) because ILT supplies the parts to RSD (just remember: it's really easy to get banned by ILT).

I'd also do a search of this site for others who have posted your question.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 8:20 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

What does RS say ? Maybe they put the wrong rotors in your kit. What axles do you have, stock ?

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 11:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

I had to open up the center holes a hair to get them to seat on the axles. The instructions do mention that. I can't tell from your pic, but are your rotors fully seated on the axles? The center pilot should protrude from the rotor.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 11:34 AM
Senior Tech Team
kevin

FWIW - my calls to rs have not been helpful...
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 11:54 AM
Tech Team
Ben

I looked up the instructions and it mentions A) opening up the rotor hole; B) shimming the caliper bracket off the axle housing to center rotor in pads. Have you tried shimming?

No car yet; currently looking for 66-69 project/driver.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

I haven't taken any action opening up the rotor holes etc. I downloaded the instructions last night and it does say for an extra $30 or so they could have them machined before you receive them. As far as my axles, I believe they are the original, my car was in a barn for many years and they appear to be stock, and had stock drums on before being removed.

I did ask Right Stuff if I had the correct rotor and I sent pictures, which they confirmed is the correct rear rotor. I also asked if they had a deeper rotor or wider and they said the rotor was correct. My question is that if I unknowingly do have an aftermarket axle, do they not have a rotor that would be deeper / wider to fit?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 2:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

I used a sanding drum in an air grinder. It took about two minutes per rotor. I just went around the pilot hole a little at a time and kept test fitting until the rotor sat flush on the axle. It didn't take much off at all, but they weren't going to seat without doing it. This was on stock ten bolt axles. The kit came with different thickness caliper shims, but I didn't use any because everything centered properly without them.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 2:43 PM
Tech Team

Does the rotor get centered by the pilot hole? If so I would be careful to use a procedure that made sure the center pilot hole remained concentric, i.e. turned on a lathe. Don't know how much a vibration could result. If it gets centered by the wheel studs then nvm

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Scott
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 3:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by modonnell80 View Post
I haven't taken any action opening up the rotor holes etc. I downloaded the instructions last night and it does say for an extra $30 or so they could have them machined before you receive them. As far as my axles, I believe they are the original, my car was in a barn for many years and they appear to be stock, and had stock drums on before being removed.

I did ask Right Stuff if I had the correct rotor and I sent pictures, which they confirmed is the correct rear rotor. I also asked if they had a deeper rotor or wider and they said the rotor was correct. My question is that if I unknowingly do have an aftermarket axle, do they not have a rotor that would be deeper / wider to fit?
To install rear discs from a 2000 Camaro on a 10 or 12 bolt axle, you have to install a 3/16" thick shim between the backing plate and axle housing.

That will move the caliper outward enough to center it on the rotor.

Read Al's writeup at Team Camaro:

https://www.camaros.net/forums/16-br...-pictures.html

How much do you need to remove from the OD of your axles to get the rotors on ?
If it's a few thousandths, just keep going around the OD of the axle with a sanding disc until the rotor goes completely on.

Easy peasy

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, 12 bolt, Marina Blue with black interior
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 4:03 PM
Tech Team
Ben

Right Stuff Rear Rotor Issue

Nashville Beth; I know what youíre talking about with turning down the axle for the LS1 Camaro/ C5 swap, but I think the right stuff kit doesnít need that. If I understand it correctly, the very center hole of the rotor may be too small to fit over the protrusion in the center of the axle (see blue circle in pic). Whereas LS1/C5, itís actually a step inside the rotor hat (for drum in hat e brake) that needs to clear the axle.
If thatís the case, should be pretty easy for the op to determine if this is the problem as the rotor wonít slide over that protrusion, therefore wonít sit flat against the axle flange. If it is over it and sitting flat, Iíd bet itís a shining issue.

No car yet; currently looking for 66-69 project/driver.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 4:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Skreddy, I think you are right. After looking at some videos they posted online for rear brake rotor installs, it seems like part of their process is to machine the center hole slightly to open up the diameter to fit the axle. They charge $30 for that service and they say that's a rare case. From what I have read online, it seems to happen more often than they know.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 6:31 PM
Tech Team
Dan

I had to have mine opened up.
The machinist said it only took .002".
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 6:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbo View Post
I had to have mine opened up.
The machinist said it only took .002".
I had to have that inner hole enlarged also. I used a small sand drum & only needed cleaning up.
ZZ69chevelle likes this.

If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in