Going back to stock front control arms. - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

18Likes
  • 3 Post By Robinls5
  • 2 Post By Jasons 69 Chevelle
  • 2 Post By Pete 67
  • 2 Post By senna
  • 1 Post By SSJohn
  • 3 Post By Kirk's67SS
  • 2 Post By Pats70ss
  • 3 Post By UMI Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Garage
Question Going back to stock front control arms.

I was at a car cruise last night and my wife mentioned how she misses how nice our 69 el Camino used to ride before I did the suspension swap. Two years ago I changed the front suspension to the SC&C Stage 3 with Delrin bushings. Anyhow, I replied, "yes I miss it too". This el Camino used to ride so smoothly, I think it was because of how massive the frames are on these cars/trucks..

Also, I've been having a weird snapping sound when my car goes over a decent size bump or when I turn all the way right then left. Its in the other thread. The sound comes from the passenger side top of the spring..

So I was thinking, I might move the upper control arm attachment points back to achieve positive caster without having the arms cocked sideways with a pile of shims. That never worked right as far as I was concerned. I always though having the arms cocked to the side that way made the caster change every time the car cycled up and down.. I noticed how Detroit Speed has there caster setting so you move the arm straight back and forth..

So this winter or sooner I might be taking everything apart and having that bracket cut off and moved back a few inches to get me to 5-6 degrees positive caster which is the best setting for these cars with there KPI of 7..

Thanks for reading.. I'm 61 and I'm just trying to have one nice running and drive old car before the big day comes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 2:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Re: Going back to stock front control arms.

Here is what I did. My 1970 front end needed " RE/DONE " I sent my 2-uppers and 2 lowers to Glen Leaver in N.Y. He glass beads them and checks for any damage, Then he installs " ONLY " Moog parts. You send the parts. ( UPS )
He powder coated my 4 pieces ( semi gloss) or your choice of color.
He also powder coated my cross shafts in Metalic Gray. Just for a nice color change.
I also replaced the front coils with stock springs and a set of over the counter gas shocks. If I can help, Just ask.
Both of my 70s have all stock, AKA O.E.M. front & rear suspension parts.
My wife loves the ride and she loves to drive them both. My driver has over 39.000 miles since I put it together.
Bob
EdCarpenter, 427L88 and hydro462 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 10:12 PM
Tech Team
Jason

My car has all that aftermarket jazz but rides and drives great. Switched to UMI rear control arms upper and lowers with spherical bearings at all eight pivot points. Made the car unbelievably smooth. Didn’t realize how much bind was going on.
What type of shocks and spring rates are you running? I have adjustable shocks that can soften the ride or stiffen it up. The upper control arms with tall ball joints are fixing the backwards camber. They allow for increased caster and may add a little road noise. SPC has rubber bushings available. I think shocks, sway bar, springs, and tires would make more difference in ride quality (smoothness)then upper control arms.
But if your set on replacing them you shouldn’t have any trouble selling the SPC arms.
hydro462 and UMI Tech like this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 11:06 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinls5 View Post
Here is what I did. My 1970 front end needed " RE/DONE " I sent my 2-uppers and 2 lowers to Glen Leaver in N.Y. He glass beads them and checks for any damage, Then he installs " ONLY " Moog parts. You send the parts. ( UPS )
He powder coated my 4 pieces ( semi gloss) or your choice of color.
He also powder coated my cross shafts in Metalic Gray. Just for a nice color change.
I also replaced the front coils with stock springs and a set of over the counter gas shocks. If I can help, Just ask.
Both of my 70s have all stock, AKA O.E.M. front & rear suspension parts.
My wife loves the ride and she loves to drive them both. My driver has over 39.000 miles since I put it together.
Bob

Glenn does fantastic work & his videos are extremely helpful, but this can be done locally without shipping 4 heavy arms to & from upstate NY. If you have access to a press or even just have a competent machine shop in your town, this is a pretty basic job. Especially if you can R&R the arms yourself. That's the hardest part of the job, IMO.
davewho1 and hydro462 like this.

64 2 door Wagon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 2 Door Post Sold 11/21/17
LS1 T56

67 SS Tribute Sold

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 12:17 AM
Tech Team
Troy

I would call Mark at SC&C and discuss this with him.

I'm running his setup on my Chevelle and have stated frequently how well it drives and rides. I would never run the the stock stuff again unless it was a total stock SS style car.

How far are you from his shop maybe you can take it to him for help?
hydro462 and Pats70ss like this.

66 CHEVELLE
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 11:44 AM
Tech Team
John

What some donít realize is that you can have an excellent handling car AND a good ride at the same time. I second the call to Mark.
Pats70ss likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Garage

Ya, I posted this in disgust. I am going to take it all apart this winter and see what's going on. I'm going to pull the shocks today and take a real good look.

I used the stock springs that came with the car. The SPC lower control arms needed two spacers to get it to this height (photo), I have BMR 2" lowering springs in the back.
The steering wheel would turn left on its own while bottoming out over deep bumps without the spacers.. The car did ride much smoother with the stock control arms though. The new ones have Delrin bushings..
Maybe running +8 caster is causing the harsh ride. Once I figure out the snapping noise I'm going to have it put back on the rack and bring the caster down to +5.50 / +6 with one degree of negative camber and 1/32 toe in on each side.. I'm still not 100% thrilled with the way it handles. I still have the stock factory sway bar too, I'm sure that's a major player..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Passenger side nice.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	600364  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 1:32 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Jeff the difference in Ride Quality was like Night to Day with the Suspension Changes I made in 2013

I purchased the following from UMI Perf and found them to be
of the best looking & quality that I have ever seen/used;
1. UMI Perf 64-67 GM A Body Rear Lower Boxed / Adj Upper Control Arms # 402126
2. UMI Perf 64-72 GM A Body Solid Front and Rear Sway Bar Kit # 403534
3. UMI Perf 64-72 GM A-Body Tubular Upper & Lower Front A-Arm Kit # 403133
4. UMI Perf 64-72 GM A-Body Viking Front Coil Over, Dbl Adj Shocks # A205-550T
5. UMI Perf 64-72 GM A-Body Viking Rear Dbl Adj Shocks # B220
6. UMI Perf 64-72 GM A-Body Tie Rod Adjusters # 2103
7. UMI Perf 64-67 GM A-Body Rear Shock Tower Brace # 4059

Also I added the Rear Frame Cross Brackets.

The difference in ride quality/handling , went to firm and stable,
that I have acquired with the great parts from UMI Perf I put on from the previous original type Springs / Control Arms and Shocks ride
which was like riding on a log road,

the Front Control Arms is usually not the reason for Ride Smoothness, unless they are broken
but how the Viking Double Adjustable Shocks are set for the mode/way you drive your car
1. Street Mode for a Smooth ride
2. Road Curving Mode for aggressive Driving & Road Racing
3. Drag Mode for the 1/4 Mile Track

Another Thing is the Type/Size of Tire plays into it also
a Wider Side Wall provides additional cushioning along with Good Shocks and Coil Springs that are not to Stiff

The Viking Coil Over Spring setup means you can set the Ride Height so you do not bottom out
the Tubular Front Control Arms I bought needed some Spacers/Shimes
but UMI Perf now sells the CAs that have adjustable Rods so no Spacers/Shimes needed

I make changes at the Track on the Double Adjustable Shocks then change them back for the drive home

My Mechanic is always tell me that he is amazed how well the car Rides on the Street
and how she is performing at the Track with the Suspension I have

hydro462, UMI Tech and Pats70ss like this.

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/06/23
60' = 1.561
1/8 = 7.411 et / 90.18 mph
1/4 = ??.??? et / ??? mph

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 2:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Pat

All UMI here and feel it is the best of both worlds. GREAT handling and rides great!
Kirk's67SS and UMI Tech like this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 4:57 PM

Thanks guys!

As always, any questions you can get me on here or if I'm not monitoring the boards I have my phone with direct mail.

I'd agree that Delrin front lowers wouldn't be the only reason for a car "riding bad". Smooth, free moving Delrin and the correct spring and shock combo can be smooth as butter.

[email protected]

thx

ramey
hydro462, Kirk's67SS and SSJohn like this.

UMI Technical Support

814-376-6000

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in