Ride height with Moroso drag springs - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By NickeyChevelle
  • 1 Post By NickeyChevelle
  • 1 Post By Kirk's67SS

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 9:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Garage
Ride height with Moroso drag springs

Hello all,
I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on my ride height. I have a 68 Chevelle. 496 stroker, iron heads, longtube headers, aluminum intake , power steering, standard alternator, aluminum radiator and fiberglass hood. I also have the 1/2" taller upper ball joints if they matter. Anyway it seems like my stance is a little too heigh in front

I have the Moroso drag springs in front 47190. 250lb rate. Bottom of the crossmember to the ground is 7"-8" ground to the opening fender is 28 1/4"

Seems slightly "gasser " like. What do you guys think?

Can you cut down the drag springs?

It's definitely settled, they've been on for a couple months now

Thanks
Joe

"... the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their view to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their view." Dr. Who, 1977
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 10:49 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage
Re: Ride height with Moroso drag springs

Yes, you can cut down the front springs. You'll want to "sneak up" on them and cut maybe a quarter of a coil at a time (you can always cut more, but you can't put back what's been cut).

You shouldn't cut rear variable rate springs unless you know what you're doing.

BTW: I've heard that the drag spring make the car sit lower by 2 - 3 inches. Are you sure they're installed correctly?
Kirk's67SS likes this.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 10:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW68SSBBC View Post
Hello all,
I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on my ride height. I have a 68 Chevelle. 496 stroker, iron heads, longtube headers, aluminum intake , power steering, standard alternator, aluminum radiator and fiberglass hood. I also have the 1/2" taller upper ball joints if they matter. Anyway it seems like my stance is a little too heigh in front

I have the Moroso drag springs in front 47190. 250lb rate. Bottom of the crossmember to the ground is 7"-8" ground to the opening fender is 28 1/4"

Seems slightly "gasser " like. What do you guys think?

Can you cut down the drag springs?

It's definitely settled, they've been on for a couple months now

Thanks
Joe
i have similar springs and my car sits low...
what size front tires are you running///

my fender opening is only 24 7/8'' with 215-65r15 tires
my hookers scrape on most driveways and speedbumps

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 19, 5:35 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
Yes, you can cut down the front springs. You'll want to "sneak up" on them and cut maybe a quarter of a coil at a time (you can always cut more, but you can't put back what's been cut).

You shouldn't cut rear variable rate springs unless you know what you're doing.

BTW: I've heard that the drag spring make the car sit lower by 2 - 3 inches. Are you sure they're installed correctly?
Thanks for the reply
The springs are in correctly. I specifically marked the orientation of the notch in the spring pocket so they would line up the spring so that should be spot on

Thanks
Joe

"... the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their view to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their view." Dr. Who, 1977
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 19, 5:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceS427bb View Post
i have similar springs and my car sits low...
what size front tires are you running///

my fender opening is only 24 7/8'' with 215-65r15 tires
my hookers scrape on most driveways and speedbumps
The tires are 215 70R 15 in front. The battery is also in the truck so that may account for there not being enough weight on the springs

Here is how it's sits

Thanks
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190806_162836.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	599908  

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 19, 10:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW68SSBBC View Post
The springs are in correctly. I specifically marked the orientation of the notch in the spring pocket so they would line up the spring
The springs "fit" around a "crown" at the top of the spring mounts. Whereas, it's unlikely that one could mess up both springs, it's the tops that could be an issue.

Nice Ride! But it seems really weird that the front end would sit up that high with the trick springs and no spacers.

This is what I'd expect to see:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zzz.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	599922  
VinceS427bb likes this.

Our You Tube Vids:

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 19, 11:42 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

that yeller car sits very similar to my junk..

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 6:45 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
The springs "fit" around a "crown" at the top of the spring mounts. Whereas, it's unlikely that one could mess up both springs, it's the tops that could be an issue.

Nice Ride! But it seems really weird that the front end would sit up that high with the trick springs and no spacers.

This is what I'd expect to see:
I agree. That's why I asked. I love the weight transfer though!
Thanks
JOE

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 7:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

One of my fellow S/A racers has the Moroso trick springs on his 1970 SS454, it sits a little bit taller than stock IMHO but they work well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tedss2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	599924   Click image for larger version

Name:	tedss1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	599926  

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 9:17 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Put the Moroso Trick Springs # 47195 250 lbs in my 67 Chevelle and the Frontend dropped 3 inches
had to add a 1" Spacer under the Bottom of the spring so the Tire would not rub on the Fender Lip when turning

Tire up front is a 205 / 70 / 15 on a 15x7 Wheel with a 4" BS and Battery in Trunk

BEFORE with Stock Springs

AFTER with the Moroso Trick Springs and 1" Spacer

There has to be something not Right
NickeyChevelle likes this.

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/06/23
60' = 1.561
1/8 = 7.411 et / 90.18 mph
1/4 = ??.??? et / ??? mph

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 5:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk's67SS View Post
Put the Moroso Trick Springs # 47195 250 lbs in my 67 Chevelle and the Frontend dropped 3 inches
had to add a 1" Spacer under the Bottom of the spring so the Tire would not rub on the Fender Lip when turning

Tire up front is a 205 / 70 / 15 on a 15x7 Wheel with a 4" BS and Battery in Trunk

BEFORE with Stock Springs

AFTER with the Moroso Trick Springs and 1" Spacer

There has to be something not Right
Thanks for all the replies!
Everything thing is right from an assembly standpoint. I will just have to cut them down a little to suit me. I have the OTC spring tool which makes assembly a snap. I'll probably mess with it later this fall. This week the motor is coming out to fix a leaky rear pan gasket, rear main, or seal the rear main cap area. Or all of the above! Fricken sick of oil pan leaks. But that's another subject!

Thanks
Joe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in