Right Stuff Detailing front disc conversion - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 1:28 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Right Stuff Detailing front disc conversion

Hey guys - Iíve just done a complete front disc conversion using the Right Stuff Detailingís Signature Series kit on a Ď67 Chevelle SS. The kit came with 13Ē rotors, twin spot calipers, power booster, master cylinder, proportioning valve and new brake lines. Has anyone else done this same conversion? Iíve installed everything according to the instructions and completed the break in process but Iím a little disappointed with the braking performance at the moment so Iím hoping this will improve over time. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 3:03 AM
Tech Team
Rick

Re: Right Stuff Detailing front disc conversion

Hello,

I converted power front drums on my 70 El Camino to disks using a Right Stuff kit. The kit I bought has the drilled and slotted rotors. The rear drums got kept but completely rebuilt. No complaints about their kit though I do have a slight pull to the right when I apply the brakes hard. I need to look at the adjustment on the rear drums for this but I think they should be self adjusting.

Rick

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 6:04 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks Rick - yes I have the drilled and slotted rotors as well and kept the rear drums which are working perfectly. Maybe I just need to be a bit more patient. Cheers Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 5:32 PM
Tech Team

Same for me, front disc conversion only with the the Willwood large piston area calipers, rebuilt drums in back. Works ok, power booster rod/pedal don’t return all the way, they promised to send a new booster out after troubleshooting on the phone.

That was almost 2 years ago, still waiting on the Booster.

No more any of their stuff for me!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 6:06 PM
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert12 View Post
Hey guys - Iíve just done a complete front disc conversion using the Right Stuff Detailingís Signature Series kit on a Ď67 Chevelle SS. The kit came with 13Ē rotors, twin spot calipers, power booster, master cylinder, proportioning valve and new brake lines. Has anyone else done this same conversion? Iíve installed everything according to the instructions and completed the break in process but Iím a little disappointed with the braking performance at the moment so Iím hoping this will improve over time. Anyone else had a similar experience?

What exactly is it about the braking performance that you are disappointed with? Does the pedal feel strange? Does the car not stop well?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 7:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanniziomas View Post
Same for me, front disc conversion only with the the Willwood large piston area calipers, rebuilt drums in back. Works ok, power booster rod/pedal donít return all the way, they promised to send a new booster out after troubleshooting on the phone.

That was almost 2 years ago, still waiting on the Booster.

No more any of their stuff for me!
In case this is your problem on power brakes the pedal does not come all the way back to the rubber bumper under the dash.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 7:34 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmalibu View Post
what exactly is it about the braking performance that you are disappointed with? Does the pedal feel strange? Does the car not stop well?
x2
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 3:04 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I donít have any issues with the pedal returning to itís normal position, my main problem is the car simply doesnít stop anywhere near as well as it did with the original power assisted drums on the front and applying more pressure to the pedal makes it lose fell (goes hard) with no noticeable improvement in slowing

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 6:18 PM
Tech Team
Rick

I'd try to bleed the master cylinder and lines again.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks Rick - when I bled the master cylinder I did it on the car attached to the booster, it seemed to work fine. Iíve read since that this should be done on a bench prior to attaching to the booster. I wonder could this have caused any issues?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in