C5/C6 drum in hat parking brake issue - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kopfjaeger

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Aug 4th, 19, 2:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
C5/C6 drum in hat parking brake issue

Iím doing a Kore 3rear disc conversion on my 67 Chevelle. On the driver side rear Im having an issue with the parking brake assembly making contact as I spin the wheel. The contact is pretty substantial. I swapped the passenger side rotor to the driver side and the issue goes away.

The brake adjuster has almost zero tension on the brake assembly.
The axles are new.

The Power Stop rotors are brand new but Iíve had the kit for well over a year.

Does anyone know if itís possible to ďresurfaceĒthe drum in hat portion of the rotor to true it up? I have a call out to Tobin to see if he has any suggestions as well

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E07DD23C-B4B3-4934-B035-642086CC2A6E.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	599764   Click image for larger version

Name:	8D643396-4410-4A55-9B01-0C347302108F.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	599766  

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
Soon to be a 427 equipped Tahoe Turquoise head turner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 4th, 19, 6:43 PM
Tech Team
Ben

Re: C5/C6 drum in hat parking brake issue

The parking brake shoe can move quite a bit with the tension springs/clips that hold it on. Have you tried putting the rotor on and snugging it with a couple nuts to ensure itís on solid, then move the parking brake lever a couple times to let it self-center?

No car yet; currently looking for 66-69 project/driver.
Old Aug 4th, 19, 8:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Ben,

Here is the odd thing, when I put the rotor on and push it firmly against the axle flange, I can spin the rotor with no issues. Only once I put the rim on and tighten the lug nuts, in a star pattern and in stages, does the drag intensify.

When I go back up to work on her, next weekend, Iíll attempt to cycle the parking brake lever a few times.

This is my first exposure to a Corvette set up. The adjuster spreads to circular brake shoe platform while two guides hold the device in close proximity to the backing plate. The passenger side has no where near the resistance when placed on the driver side. Thatís why I suspect the warp, out of round, condition. If both locked up, Iíd suspect an axle or flange issue.

Joe

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red

Old Aug 4th, 19, 9:18 PM
Tech Team
Ben

The other thing Iíd wonder is if the rotor is hitting the backing plate or something, since it happens once tight. Iíd look for any spots where it looks like something might be rubbing or wearing.
Assuming the axle is turned down or chamfered to fit the recess in the drum? Or if these are aftermarket, do they need that? (Mine are C5 parts and the chevelle axle flange had to be turned down .1Ē or so. I see yours are aftermarket axles though).

No car yet; currently looking for 66-69 project/driver.
Old Aug 5th, 19, 1:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Ben,

I thought that as well, in regards to the axle flange diameter so I took (5) 1/2 lock washers put them on the studs then put on the rotor then attached the tire. The thickness pushed the rotor approx 1/8 off the flange. Still no difference in the lock up. By lock up, I can power through it but I have to put some effort to move past the lock up point.

The drum portion does have a rub pattern, see initial photo, like the drum is tapered.

Iím friendly with my local repair center so Iíll ask him about the possibility of touching up my rotor on the brake lathe. So far no reply from Tobin.

Joe

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
Old Aug 26th, 19, 3:43 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Update. Yes, the parking brake drum can be machined. I sent it out and had it trued. Now the wheel rotates without hanging up.

Joe
LeoP likes this.

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in