Suspension noise SC&C control arms.. - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 19, 4:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Suspension noise SC&C control arms..

I am getting this weird noise. When I turn all the way to the right it makes this little click like something is catching then when I turn to the left it goes almost all the way and then makes a loud banging sound like somethings being released when the click sound was made.

Just concern yourself with the banging the other grounding sounds are from the two pieces of sheet metal under the tires..

The noise goes away if I jack the car up an inch or so from the middle of the frame.

Thank you!

Last edited by hydro462; Jul 30th, 19 at 5:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 19, 5:55 PM
Tech Team
Jason

I think I’ve heard that sound once when a spring snapped into the upper pocket correctly after changing the springs up front.
hydro462 likes this.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 19, 6:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Re: Suspension noise SC&C control arms..

Me too Jason! I know I've heard this sound before. I am pretty sure its coming from the spring. I think I need to raise the front end up a little since the noise goes away. These are the problems you run into when you put after market parts on your car..

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 19, 12:06 PM
Tech Team
John

Not sure what sc&c upper arms you have, might want to check your main cross-bolt if you have one. Mine was a little loose and made that exact noise. The arm was actually moving fore and aft and would pop when it traveled. Tightened it up and no more noise.
hydro462 likes this.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 19, 7:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Made another video...

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 19, 7:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Is it just me or does it look like one of your PS hoses jump every time it makes the noise? Something binding there, for sure. I think the BEST way to diagnose this is to lay under the car and feel the suspension parts while someone else does the steering.
hydro462 and Pioneer4x4 like this.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 19, 7:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I have the hose hold down clamp off.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 19, 8:38 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by any4xx View Post
Is it just me or does it look like one of your PS hoses jump every time it makes the noise? Something binding there, for sure. I think the BEST way to diagnose this is to lay under the car and feel the suspension parts while someone else does the steering.
Yep, I was going to suggest just that. I'd start with hand on upper, then lower control arm on each side, then knuckle. What about steering arm that bolts to the knuckle?

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 19, 8:55 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Check the adjuster nuts on your tie rods, may be making contact with the sway bar.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 19, 7:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I cant find this noise. It has me worried. I'm going to go over the brake calipers today. I wonder if its the shocks or cracked front springs?
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 19, 8:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Did you recently install new front springs ?

The "flat" end should go to the top.

Maybe measure both front fender lips to see if the heigth is the same ? Indicating a spring not seating correctly ?

Could the steering linkage be hitting the frame ?
hydro462 likes this.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 19, 11:25 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

The shocks and springs do not move while turning the wheel when the vehicle is not in motion. I would place my money on a tie rod end, center link end, idler arm, or a ball joint. It has to be in one of the moving parts - I can not see how the stationary parts would cause that noise.

Just as a test, jack the car up with the front cross member (just to get the tires about 3" or 4" off the ground). Do not place any jack stands under the car (so that the suspension is in full droop). Reach in through the window and turn the wheel lock to lock. Is the noise still there?? If not, then something is binding when under the pressure of the vehicle weight on the suspension. I would be looking at all of the twisting/rotating parts that I listed above.
hydro462 likes this.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 19, 11:41 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Not that this is it but why is the bolt head so far away from the idler arm where it bolts to the frame. Did you check the 2 nuts that bolt the upper arm to the frame where the shims go. Some of these aftermarket a frames have faulty ball joints in them that end up snapping off.
hydro462 likes this.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 19, 11:45 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakkoWarner View Post
The shocks and springs do not move while turning the wheel when the vehicle is not in motion. I would place my money on a tie rod end, center link end, idler arm, or a ball joint. It has to be in one of the moving parts - I can not see how the stationary parts would cause that noise.

Just as a test, jack the car up with the front cross member (just to get the tires about 3" or 4" off the ground). Do not place any jack stands under the car (so that the suspension is in full droop). Reach in through the window and turn the wheel lock to lock. Is the noise still there?? If not, then something is binding when under the pressure of the vehicle weight on the suspension. I would be looking at all of the twisting/rotating parts that I listed above.
I was thinking of the same thing but the only thing he may get another noise if the sway bar bolt comes in contact with the upper ball joint stud.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 19, 11:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
I was thinking of the same thing but the only thing he may get another noise if the sway bar bolt comes in contact with the upper ball joint stud.
Maybe, maybe not. My sway bar end link bolts don't hit my upper ball joint at full droop (I have UMI uppers/lowers, with Viking double adjustable coil overs). Even if they do touch, the ball joint stud should not be moving, so he shouldn't have any new noises.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in