Wheel hop issues, looking to learn... - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 19, 1:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Shawn

Re: Wheel hop issues, looking to learn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
This is a quote from your first post in this thread
: With the car leveled on stands, I've got -4* at the tailshaft and balancer (checked both to be sure) and I set the pinion to -1*, so total is -5*, right? Is that too much?
I may be wrong but I think you should double check it with it at ride height to see if it changes too much one way or the other.
It was on stands with the suspension loaded. The trick was getting it level front to back with the rake I have going haha.
71350SS likes this.

'68 300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 19, 1:59 PM
Tech Team

Garage

My car sits pretty high and I have zero wheel hop. I boxed my lower rear control arms. My understanding was always that wheel hop was mainly caused by flexing of the rear lower control arms. They bend under acceleration and then the hop is caused by the controls arms straightening themselves out. Boxing them in eliminates the flexing.

72, SB 385, Voodoo roller, 219/227; .515/,530 lift; AFR 180cc Eliminators, RPM Air-Gap, 770 Avenger, 12 bolt 3.42's, Eaton Posi, Pypes 2 1/2" X-pipe system w/Race Pro's
Vehicle weight: 3390 lbs
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 19, 2:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoengineer_ View Post
My car sits pretty high and I have zero wheel hop. I boxed my lower rear control arms. My understanding was always that wheel hop was mainly caused by flexing of the rear lower control arms. They bend under acceleration and then the hop is caused by the controls arms straightening themselves out. Boxing them in eliminates the flexing.
I thought the same thing, but there's lots of suggestions on the internet. That's why I always come back here because you guys have the best advice for Chevelles. I've replaced all the rear stock suspension - new uppers/lowers, springs, shocks, bushings. The uppers are adjustable and the lowers are square channel boxed. Both have pivot joints at the front. These parts made little to no impact on the wheel hop. Next step is no-hops I guess. They're easy enough to install. If this doesn't work I guess I just don't do burnouts, because I'm not interested in lowering the stance - at this point :-)

'68 300

post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 19, 5:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Shawn
wheel hoping will break things/parts pretty quickly

so be careful

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/06/23
60' = 1.561
1/8 = 7.411 et / 90.18 mph
1/4 = ??.??? et / ??? mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 19, 10:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

I have Lakewood No Hop Bars in conjunction with Hotchkis controls arms. I get zero wheel hop when, as you say, I “light em up”.

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jackie schmidt; Jul 31st, 19 at 10:24 PM.
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 19, 10:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

With the rear raised the upper control arms are pointing up towards the front. When you apply torque it pulls the car down & the rear up just the opposite of what you want. Good recipe for hop. The no hops should do the job.
mr 4 speed likes this.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 19, 5:20 PM
p40
Tech Team
butch

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post
And make the car ride like a chuckwagon.
oh and they ride like a caddy? these ol muscle cars never rode that good cant have your cake and eat it to
post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 19, 8:53 PM
Dan

Your car looks great, I installed Competition Engineering Coil Spring Traction Bars part# C2111 on my 70 chevelle with factory ride height! That’ll fix you right up. Enjoy that chevelle.
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 19, 11:59 PM
Tom

My 65 Chevelle sits a little tall cos when I built it I wanted to do it Old School!! Everyone was telling me to drop the front end a few inches but I refused to listen to them. I guess I did it right cos If I can get the video to play you can see for yourself. I think an hour trying to get it to post is long enough it keeps telling me invalid file!!
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 19, 9:25 AM

Air bags slightly inflated will work for you.
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 19, 10:05 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsvehe View Post

I think an hour trying to get it to post is long enough it keeps telling me invalid file!!

Try again after you have more than ten posts.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 19, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Shawn

I ordered the TA Performance no-hops yesterday, hope to have them installed by next weekend. I'll let you know how I made out.
lucifershammer likes this.

'68 300
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 19, 10:58 AM
Tech Team
Glen

Garage

Here's my no-hop bars. I took the rear end out to install, much easier. I also installed poly bushings and UMI adjustable uppers. Replaced the brake lines while I was there. The original lower arms are boxed and new rubber bushings installed. 1" UMI rear sway bar. But, I still have a little wheel hop, I guess the next thing is UMI lowers with poly bushings. mine sits up a little higher than original also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chevelle rear end.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	599596   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180620_185832566.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	599598   Click image for larger version

Name:	chevell rear end 2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	599600  

1968 Chevelle
468 Big Block
Muncie M20 4 Speed
12 Bolt Posi 3.31:1 Gears
post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 19, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend123 View Post
Here's my no-hop bars. I took the rear end out to install, much easier. I also installed poly bushings and UMI adjustable uppers. Replaced the brake lines while I was there. The original lower arms are boxed and new rubber bushings installed. 1" UMI rear sway bar. But, I still have a little wheel hop, I guess the next thing is UMI lowers with poly bushings. mine sits up a little higher than original also.
Looks great! The rear came out the first time last fall to do the gear swap, no idea why I didn't just do all this then. So it came out a second time this year to replace all the suspension components, u-joint, bushings, etc. I HOPING I can just drop the rear low enough to remove the upper bushings/install the no-hops w/o taking it out a third time. A lift would be nice, but what fun is it w/o a challenge. I am getting more efficient each time though ;-)

'68 300
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 4:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Shawn

Hey guys, small update. Got the no-hops from TA Performance Monday night. Hoping to tear into it tonight, we'll see how far I get. Wish me luck!
lucifershammer likes this.

'68 300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in