68-72 frame - shock hole measurement - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 9:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Re: 68-72 frame - shock hole measurement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasons 69 Chevelle View Post
The only dimension on that diagram that measures 33-3/4" is the sum of two 16-7/8" frame centerline to body mount center dimensions (circled in RED) located in front of the coil spring mount. My 1965 measures 33-3/4" from body mount to body mount at that location fwiw. If you have other information please post it up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64_67_frame_dimensions.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	598174  

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 2:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifershammer View Post
What mods did you have to make to it?
I grinded a bit from the bar on each side, and ground out the holes on the frame a bit on each side.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 6:13 PM
Tech Team
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bates View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasons 69 Chevelle View Post
The only dimension on that diagram that measures 33-3/4" is the sum of two 16-7/8" frame centerline to body mount center dimensions (circled in RED) located in front of the coil spring mount. My 1965 measures 33-3/4" from body mount to body mount at that location fwiw. If you have other information please post it up!
Good catch didn’t see that was looked at the 68-72 better as that’s the one the op was asking about.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 10:10 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Tonight I pulled out my entire rear end and suspension and started prepping to install all the new UMI parts.

The first thing I did was attempt to put in the UMI shock tower brace.

Mine was the right length and the holes lined up perfectly, and it would normally be an easy install.

But, I'm not putting it in right now for another reason - my car still has all the factory evaporation control lines coming from the gas tank, and also the fuel line and the vapor return line run right along the top of the shock towers in the rear where the shock tower brace would go, and I didn't want to tempt fate and try to move the lines out of the way and turn an easy rear suspension job into what would surely become a multi week long nightmare of replacing lines that would surely snap if I try bending them as much as they need to go to be out of the way, and then as everyone knows that would lead to a full frame off restoration because like potato chips, you can't just stop at one.

So, for now, no shock tower brace for me right now (someday in the future when I have nothing better to do and feel like getting into that mess...) but just wanted to provide the feedback that in my case, it was all the right dimensions.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 2004r, 4.10
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifershammer View Post
Tonight I pulled out my entire rear end and suspension and started prepping to install all the new UMI parts.

The first thing I did was attempt to put in the UMI shock tower brace.

Mine was the right length and the holes lined up perfectly, and it would normally be an easy install.

But, I'm not putting it in right now for another reason - my car still has all the factory evaporation control lines coming from the gas tank, and also the fuel line and the vapor return line run right along the top of the shock towers in the rear where the shock tower brace would go, and I didn't want to tempt fate and try to move the lines out of the way and turn an easy rear suspension job into what would surely become a multi week long nightmare of replacing lines that would surely snap if I try bending them as much as they need to go to be out of the way, and then as everyone knows that would lead to a full frame off restoration because like potato chips, you can't just stop at one.

So, for now, no shock tower brace for me right now (someday in the future when I have nothing better to do and feel like getting into that mess...) but just wanted to provide the feedback that in my case, it was all the right dimensions.
Can you measure the distance between the center of the circle hole to the center of the farthest point on the oval hole on the UMI brace?

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 7:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Yup, just did. 30 7/8"

I measured the center holes on my car from shock to shock tower as well. 30 7/8".

It was pretty much an exact fit. If my shock towers were any further apart, it wouldn't have made it. Super-close tolerance here, I agree, it should be about 1/4" longer to have some wiggle room for different minor variations in frames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SS454- View Post
Can you measure the distance between the center of the circle hole to the center of the farthest point on the oval hole on the UMI brace?

1972 Chevelle, 454, 2004r, 4.10
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in