Car likes to wander around.....school me on back halving - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By dyno jonn

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 19, 8:57 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Matt

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nazarah
Car likes to wander around.....school me on back halving

One of the things I need to fix about this vehicle yet this year is the tendency to just wander around on the road while driving. It happens in the 40+ mph range, anything lower it's either not happening or not noticable. There doesn't seem to be an upper limit. It's difficult to describe but it seems like the car will almost float about in the lane with no steering input. I have some ideas in my head, but wanted to get some input.

What I do know is that the previous owner did replace the bushings on the stock front sway bar, along with new tie rod end bushings. They may have been trying to fight this same problem. Beyond that, in the front, I believe everything is stock. A arm bushings seem to be OK just from looking at them.

The rear has been back halved. I have very little experience with this, and no knowledge of how it should be setup. I'll attach a picture here of what it looks like under there. Maybe there is where the issue is?

I've also considered maybe the steering box is just old and worn out. Maybe its time to replace that guy too. From what I've read Lee boxes used to be the best route to go with, but they maybe went out of business? I see their website is still up but the 670 box is no longer available.

I've not yet gotten it down to an alignment shop. Wondering if that might fix the issue all together. Or maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree there.

Anyway, just looking for some things to maybe even check on the current setup before I go throwing money at it. Sure buying new parts is fun but if I can fix what is there I probably should.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 19, 8:58 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Matt

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nazarah
Re: Car likes to wander around.....school me on back halving

I'll attach the picture of the rear here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	595666  

Never stop learning!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 19, 9:58 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Re: Car likes to wander around.....school me on back halving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazarah View Post

I've not yet gotten it down to an alignment shop. Wondering if that might fix the issue all together. Or maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree there.
You're probably barking up the right tree.

I used to have some problems with my 67 drag car steering getting light on the top end. Cured it by adding more tow-in. It was easy to check by using a long piece of aluminum tubing spanning across the inside of the front tires, first in the front and then in the rear.
Pioneer4x4 likes this.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in