Just got a alignment - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By Jasons 69 Chevelle
  • 1 Post By Blown1932
  • 1 Post By hydro462
  • 1 Post By Jasons 69 Chevelle

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 8:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jason

Just got a alignment

Car feels a lot different even the old hot rod guy that did the alignment. Said he didn’t realize a Chevelle could feel this responsive. It looks like it’s positive toe if I’m reading it right I asked for 1/16 toe in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	96F092F5-57C3-4A39-BA4F-8DEFA95EAE07_1560297656805.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	595500  
Blown1932 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 9:56 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage
Re: Just got a alignment

Why does an alignment for a collector car cost several time what "normal" cars cost?

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 10:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

It shouldn't, most alignment shops have posted what a 2 wheel alignment should cost up front.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 11:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasons 69 Chevelle View Post
Car feels a lot different even the old hot rod guy that did the alignment. Said he didnít realize a Chevelle could feel this responsive. It looks like itís positive toe if Iím reading it right I asked for 1/16 toe in.

Looks pretty good to me
pannetron likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 8:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Russ

Garage

Looks good to me, too. I believe you do have just about 1/16" toe-in.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 3:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Garage

I'm guessing that 5.4 degrees positive castor? You guys must have flat roads out there, that car would be pulling to the right here with the rain storm crowns we have in our roads. We usually put .5 more positive caster on the passengers side.
Pioneer4x4 likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 4:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jason

The guy didn’t put any cross caster into the alignment. The back roads are all over the place lol. Expressways are smooth for the most part. I ordered some 500lb springs and longer Spc 6 inch sleeves. I looked at his work and I have about 1.5 inches of threads exposed on the 5 inch sleeves. I told him before hand let me know if it looks like he will be going past 1 inch exposed on the threads. I had to get my wife’s lifted FJ another alignment after he couldn’t get it to drive right. Took it to a Toms tire pro and they got the numbers perfect with .5 degrees of cross caster and the truck drives better then it did stock it also has SPC uppers. Will take the Chevelle to them once I add the springs and longer sleeves.
hydro462 likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 8:43 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Garage

Its hard getting a good alignment tech. When they ask for the specs, I say put it on the rack and give me the present specs and I'll tell you where I want it.. Some techs cant handle the fact that some people know what happens when you change the settings.

I also have SPC uppers and lowers on my 69 el camino. Love the sensitive adjustment! The techs should love not having to deal with shims..

So far I like to run 7 degrees positive caster 1 degree negative camber with a slight toe out. If I run under a degree of negative camber then I go to toe in.. Running toe out really helps the car at the very first part of the turn, it feels great. However going down the highway at 70+ mph can get challenging on some roads.. I toe it in when I know I'm going on a long trip.. I'm going try less positive caster next time, Marc at SC&C says the car will be better around 5-6 degrees. He's run up to 10 and said it wasn't worth it, the steering feel gets dead..

I have Spohn spherical, adjustable rear arms also. The last tech had the two bushings in each lower arm turned against each other so the spherical bushings in each lower arm were locked against each other. The rear end was bound up. He came back from the test ride and said "it doesn't handle like a Porsche but its good",no kidding sherlock, the rear end is locked!!

Last edited by hydro462; Jun 17th, 19 at 9:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in