Popping noise after new parts - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By LevonH

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 7:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Popping noise after new parts

Hey guys i have a 73 chevelle and I’m having a little bit of an annoying issue after rebuilding the front suspension, I replaced all the tie rod ends, adjusting sleeves, centerlink, idler arm, sway bar links, control all arm bushings, all ball joints and greased everything than got a full alignment done. Now when I’m turning slowly especially into my driveway and around parking lots i can hear a audible popping sound and can sometimes feel it in the steering wheel or slowly going over bumps i can also hear the popping. Other than that the car drives nice and straight and smooth as a Cadillac down the highway. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 8:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bart

Garage
Re: Popping noise after new parts

I would start with someone in the car turning the wheel lock to lock, while you are at the front end looking and listening. is there anything hitting something.
What brand of replacement parts did you use? Did you set the torque values on the upper and lower control arm bushing with the full weight of the car sitting on the ground?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69SS Daytona yellow
L35, M-20, 3.73

"AC's 2 by 75...... you roll'em down & drive

"Time treats everybody like a fool"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 8:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I used moog for everything and tightened the upper and lower control arms without the weight on the car, could my problem be there?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 8:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
Idk if it is your problem but you definitely want them snug, then lower the car on the ground for the final torque of the control arms.

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 8:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Should I raise the front of the car, loosen them, lower the car than re torque them? What difference does it make doing it that way?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 8:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bart

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by @1973chevelle View Post
Should I raise the front of the car, loosen them, lower the car than re torque them? What difference does it make doing it that way?
That is how I would do it. hopefully that will solve the problem. let us know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69SS Daytona yellow
L35, M-20, 3.73

"AC's 2 by 75...... you roll'em down & drive

"Time treats everybody like a fool"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 9:14 PM
Levon

Quote:
Originally Posted by @1973chevelle View Post
. YES!!

This will take the preload out of the rubbers. After loosening everything, bounce the car a few times and let it come to rest. Then torque all bolts to spec.
LeoP likes this.

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279
2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White (Bone Stock)
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed. SOLD
Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting

1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis Greens, Ab. Canada

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 9:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Could i have damaged anything from driving the car this way? I’ev driven it about 500 miles since doing everything.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 9:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Yes, you could of ripped the rubber from the sleeve but I doubt you did this.. Just straighten them out and save your pennies for a new set of SC&C Stage Three arms with the Delrin bushings and Howe .9 tall ball joints. They are a dream come true compared to the factory stuff...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in