Sway bar time.. Thinking Hellwig.. - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

16Likes
  • 1 Post By SSJohn
  • 3 Post By Dansk
  • 1 Post By Gtogeoff
  • 1 Post By hydro462
  • 1 Post By Chevy67
  • 1 Post By SSJohn
  • 4 Post By blm
  • 2 Post By SSJohn
  • 1 Post By Slick71ss
  • 1 Post By Jasons 69 Chevelle

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 9:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Garage
Sway bar time.. Thinking Hellwig..

My 69 el Camino has SC&C stage 3 kit, .9 &.5 tall ball joints and Delrin bushings, a Lee 14:1 box up front with adjustable Spohn Delrin control arms in the rear..

I have the stock sway bar now with no rear bar. It handles okay but I feel I am leaving a lot at the table. I was thinking about starting with a new Hellwig front bar. Unless I am mistaking, I believe they have three for my 69 A body.

#5703 1-5/16"

#5709 1-1/8"

#5706 1-1/4"

My car is all street so ride quality is important to me, I drive very steep curvy roads here in Western Pa.

I am open to different brands.

What would be my best choice?

Thank you..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 1:00 PM
Tech Team
John

Re: Sway bar time.. Thinking Hellwig..

Maybe a call to Mark Savitske is in order. The front and rear bar need to be matched for best performance. On that note, actually all the suspension components need to work together as a system. I have a copy of his book, how to make your muscle car handle. I used the info from the book to set my car up and have no complaints.
hydro462 likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 10:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

I bought a Hellwig rear and a UMI front and can say that the UMI fit and finish were far above the Hellwig.
hydro462, Kirk's67SS and paul bell like this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 5:11 AM
Senior Tech Team
Geoff

I had Hellwig front & rear & no complaints at all. The FR bar was 1.25" & hollow. It definitely firmed up the ride, you could notice it when one fr wheel hit a bump.

I forget the size of the rear bar, I think it was 1" or close to it. Well made, & sturdy clamps that went over the axle tubes. Self locking nuts came with it. Three adjustments for stiffness, plus the length of the link arms was adjustable.
hydro462 likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 8:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJohn View Post
Maybe a call to Mark Savitske is in order. The front and rear bar need to be matched for best performance. On that note, actually all the suspension components need to work together as a system. I have a copy of his book, how to make your muscle car handle. I used the info from the book to set my car up and have no complaints.

I can't get a hold of him, he must be busy..

He helped me set my car up with his Stage III and it is perfect! Then he custom ordered my steering box from Lee by asking me what physical condition I am in and how big I am. Do I have issues with my hands fumbling over the steering wheel and what diameter the steering wheel is..
In any case the steering box turned out to be a dream come true! I never knew power steering could be like this!! Its a 800 Series Lee 14:1 with a 30 pound valving (what ever that means).. He said the 14:1 is just barely 1 point slower then the 12.7:1 and would be better for a street only car because they aren't overly sensitive on the highway. My experience shows they have a slightly longer center crown then the 12.7 so there not so sensitive going down the road at hi speed ( I think? Please correct me if I'm wrong).. He was 100% on the mark or should I say Marc lol.. Sorry for the long text but this box is amazing!!
SSJohn likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 9:34 AM
Senior Tech Team
Kevin

Mark helped me set up my suspension. He recommended a 1 5/16" bar for the front and a 1" bar for the rear. I have a Hellwig out back and a Hotchkis in the front and they work well together. Ride is great unless you hit a pothole with one wheel, then you know that the bars are there and work.
hydro462 likes this.

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space" - Jim Whittaker

Ermine White/Red 1967 Chevelle Malibu
Forged Mike Lewis 383 rotating assembly
AFR Eliminator 195's
Lunati Voodoo 60122 roller cam
Inglese 50mm 8 stack injection
FAST XFI Street
SC&C Stage II Plus suspension
Hotchkis/Hellwig sway bars
Tremec TKO 600
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 3:50 PM
Tech Team
John

I also have a lee box at 12.x:1, great box, I love it. Well worth the money. It is a little quick at high speed, anything under 90 is sweet. Over 90 make you pay attention.
hydro462 likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 4:15 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

I also have a UMI front and rear. The rear is the type that does not attach to the rear control arms. Mark states in his book the attaching a sway bar to the control arms binds up the rear suspension. Couldn't see going through the trouble of installing rear control arms with Jonny joints just to bind them up. The chassis mount bars are pricey though. Mine is UMI part #4045.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 4:31 PM
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
I also have a UMI front and rear. The rear is the type that does not attach to the rear control arms. Mark states in his book the attaching a sway bar to the control arms binds up the rear suspension. Couldn't see going through the trouble of installing rear control arms with Jonny joints just to bind them up. The chassis mount bars are pricey though. Mine is UMI part #4045.
All my suspension parts are umi w/Viking 2 ways, fronts are coil overs. We have the same rear bar, and yeah, it was expensive. Great bar, launches nice and straight.
hydro462 and Kirk's67SS like this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 6:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Phil

Hellwig 55868 is a nice rear bar. It attaches to the axle and frame, not control arms.

If 55703 will fit, I'd go with that front bar. It is hollow vs their others that are solid. I'd be concerned about it clearing everything though, being 1 5/16".
hydro462 likes this.

71 Chevelle SS
zz502 (Straub Cam, RPM Airgap, ProSystems Carb, MSD, etc.)
Rossler TH400
Built 12 bolt 4:11

Pics
Video
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 4:23 PM
Tech Team
Jason

Just installed the Hellwig 1 5/16 front bar. Actually just got back from the first ride with it. Had a 1 inch bar on the front so it was firmer.
It clears everything and fit perfectly. I used Spohn spherical end links and have the delrin/poly ridetech swaybar mounts are on the way. The rear has the Spohn pro Turing adjustable bar. Also a nice bar. The rear lower control arms are UMI with the roto joints highly recommend them also.
-SS454- likes this.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Today, 9:43 AM
Tech Team
Geoff

Garage

Have UMI bar front, Hellwig bar in rear, really like it. Also have the SC&C front end components...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Today, 12:23 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtogeoff View Post
I had Hellwig front & rear & no complaints at all. The FR bar was 1.25" & hollow. It definitely firmed up the ride, you could notice it when one fr wheel hit a bump.

I forget the size of the rear bar, I think it was 1" or close to it. Well made, & sturdy clamps that went over the axle tubes. Self locking nuts came with it. Three adjustments for stiffness, plus the length of the link arms was adjustable.
I do believe you are talking about a Anti Roll Bar

Not a Sway Bar

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
Now 468/Th400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T S/R #6641 street Tires/Dress 2016/10/9
60' = 1.720
1/8 = 7.747 et / 89 mph
1/4 = 12.112 et / 112 mph
NEW Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in