Best way to bleed brakes - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 19, 6:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage
Best way to bleed brakes

What is the best way to bleed brakes? I have a 66 with a Wilwood tandem master cylinder (no booster) and 4 wheel discs. There is also a proportion valve that is adjustable, all from Wilwood.
I bled the master before putting it on and have bled the system with a buddy working the pedal like 5 times and I just canít get pedal.
Iím 99.9% sure I have no air/fluid leaks and Iím 99.9% sure I got the master cylinder completely bled.
I donít have a ďbleederĒ but if if itís worth it, Iíll buy one. Is a vacuum one better than a pressure type?
What do you guys do?

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 19, 7:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bart

Garage
Re: Best way to bleed brakes

I have this. works great for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69SS Daytona yellow
L35, M-20, 3.73

"AC's 2 by 75...... you roll'em down & drive

"Time treats everybody like a fool"
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 19, 8:11 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Five times? Nowhere near enough. You gotta keep bleeding.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich Cummings

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 19, 9:02 PM
Tech Team
KEITH

You have to make sure the bleeder is at the top. Sometimes you need to take one loose to get the air to go towards the bleeder.
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 19, 9:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by surmin69 View Post
Just bought one & used it to flush the fluid on my truck. Worked great.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 19, 9:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Iíve bled lines using every method and have settled on the good old gravity method. Takes a bit longer but no drama and Iíve never had to do it over.
pizzi-man, hydro462 and p40 like this.
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 19, 10:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Times two on the gravity bleed. do it on old and new autos. Don't take long at all especially if you forget to keep an eye on it
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 19, 10:01 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

When you are bleeding the rears are you getting any fluid out? Might want to give the gravity method a try.
Last year I replaced every component in nm my brake system except the pedal and the proportioning valve. I was having trouble getting the rears to bleed. Maybe something in this thread will help.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/16-...ont-bleed.html
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 19, 4:40 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

Iím getting fluid and more fluid until I think there is no more air and I still have a soft peddle.
Explain the ďgravity methodĒ.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 19, 7:57 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Gravity method is just opening all four bleeders and just let gravity take over. Usually the fronts wll start to spew fluid first and once they do you can close them off and allow.the rears to start to produce fluid. If you do this I would recommend that you put a tube on the bleeders and route each tube to some type of container as if not the brake fluid will drip everywhere. This method can take anywhere from an hour to overnight. Also make sure the bowls in the master cylinder are not allowed to run dry or it defeats the purpose.
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 19, 9:21 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Glenn

You should start with the bleeder furthest from the master cylinder.

Do one bleeder at a time working towards the master cylinder.

Usually left rear, right rear, left front, right front,

Get the right size hose (clear is best, but black works (you can see the air bubbles in the clear hose.))

Get a small jar with a cap on it and punch two holes in the top.

Put the hose through one of the hoses.

Put enough brake fluid in the jar to cover the bottom.

Push the hose down into the fluid in the bottom of the jar.

With the jar still connected set it on the ground under the bleeder screw you are working on.

At this point you can proceed with either the gravity method (one bleeder at a time), or the pump and hold method.

I use the pump method.

Now very important. Do not let the master cylinder go dry! At all times there should be at least a 1/2 inch of fluid in the master. Let it go dry in the process and you have to start over.

Pump and hold method, you need two people. The pump and hold method, the brake pedal is pressed while one bleed screw at a time is opened, allowing air to escape. The bleed screw must be closed before releasing the pedal, or a one-way valve must be fitted.

Place the end of you hose below the level of the brake fluid in the jar. You will see the air bubbles raise to the surface of the fluid in the jar. Most of the "draw back" into the tube will be fluid as the end of the hose is below the level of the brake fluid in the jar.

This is very frustrating work and chevelles are tough to bleed for some reason.

Here is a pretty good You Tube on Pump and Hold. They are demonstrating on the left front (incorrect, start on the left rear).

Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars

Control arm Info
post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 19, 10:14 AM
Senior Tech Team

I've noticed on many master cylinders, including from Wilwood, when you bench bleed it, you can see in the clear hose some air bubbles being sucked back in as you release the plunger. Before you release, pinch the hose with some pliers to prevent this.

Your rear Wilwood calipers may have two bleeders on the top that need to be bled. Do the outside one first then the inside one.

I have a pressure bleeder from Sealy, it works great, it uses air pressure from a tire. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sealey-Tool...MAAOSwhTBa3z1X

I also have speed bleeders, they're check valves. Crack one, hose it to a container and slowly put the pedal to the floor a bunch of times.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 19, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

The gravity method sounds painfully slow. Iíve been using the pump and hold method with a second person even though I do have speed bleeders.
I have not let the master go dry but Iím just bewildered at how long itís taking. I have pumped multiple large cans of brake fluid through the system. I wouldnít think the volume of the MC, tubes, fitting and calipers would hold anywhere near what Iíve put through it.

post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 19, 11:24 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Go back to link in.post #8. In that thread it talks about being able to see a geyser in each bowl/section of your master cylinder. If you don't see 2 geysers then something is amiss. Possibly just bench bleeding the master cyl again. That procedure takes two people. Also word of caution when inspecting for geysers hold the master lid or something else over the master as when these geysers shoot and you don't have something to catch them it will spray brake fluid all over the place. Also weak geysers is an indicator that everything is not hunky dorry.
post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 19, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

I have not looked for geysers. Iíll try that this afternoon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in