Best way to bleed brakes - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 19, 12:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Re: Best way to bleed brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_LS1 View Post
The gravity method sounds painfully slow. Iíve been using the pump and hold method with a second person even though I do have speed bleeders.
I have not let the master go dry but Iím just bewildered at how long itís taking. I have pumped multiple large cans of brake fluid through the system. I wouldnít think the volume of the MC, tubes, fitting and calipers would hold anywhere near what Iíve put through it.
Gravity bleeding of a completely empty system should take no more than a couple of hours, probably less than an hour.

But... two large cans of fluid already? Doesnít sound right. Hopefully your fluid isnít running out the back of the master cylinder and filling your interior floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 19, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

Nothing is getting out anywhere but the bleeders. There isnít any carpet in the car so that would have been obvious.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #18 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 19, 12:37 PM
Tobias

Make sure you have someone "pump" the brakes to produce pressure before you open the bleeder.
If you are having the person pump the brakes after you open the bleeder, it will never work.

post #19 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 19, 12:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS70ElCaminoOwner View Post
You should start with the bleeder furthest from the master cylinder.

Do one bleeder at a time working towards the master cylinder.

Usually left rear, right rear, left front, right front,

Get the right size hose (clear is best, but black works (you can see the air bubbles in the clear hose.))

Get a small jar with a cap on it and punch two holes in the top.

Put the hose through one of the hoses.

Put enough brake fluid in the jar to cover the bottom.

Push the hose down into the fluid in the bottom of the jar.

With the jar still connected set it on the ground under the bleeder screw you are working on.

At this point you can proceed with either the gravity method (one bleeder at a time), or the pump and hold method.

I use the pump method.

Now very important. Do not let the master cylinder go dry! At all times there should be at least a 1/2 inch of fluid in the master. Let it go dry in the process and you have to start over.

Pump and hold method, you need two people. The pump and hold method, the brake pedal is pressed while one bleed screw at a time is opened, allowing air to escape. The bleed screw must be closed before releasing the pedal, or a one-way valve must be fitted.

Place the end of you hose below the level of the brake fluid in the jar. You will see the air bubbles raise to the surface of the fluid in the jar. Most of the "draw back" into the tube will be fluid as the end of the hose is below the level of the brake fluid in the jar.

This is very frustrating work and chevelles are tough to bleed for some reason.

Here is a pretty good You Tube on Pump and Hold. They are demonstrating on the left front (incorrect, start on the left rear).
How to Bleed Disc Brakes - YouTube

Pattern should be right rear, left rear, right front, left front.
LeoP and davewho1 like this.

Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Control arm Info
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 19, 1:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Many years ago I went through a similar scenario. I removed, re-bled, and reinstalled the brand new master cylinder three times and never could get a firm pedal. I finally tried another master cylinder and all worked well. The lesson I learned was that just because itís new doesnít mean itís working right.

Itís hard when you replace everything because itís hard to trace the one problem.
LeoP and Blown1932 like this.
post #21 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 19, 1:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by any4xx View Post
Many years ago I went through a similar scenario. I removed, re-bled, and reinstalled the brand new master cylinder three times and never could get a firm pedal. I finally tried another master cylinder and all worked well. The lesson I learned was that just because itís new doesnít mean itís working right.

Itís hard when you replace everything because itís hard to trace the one problem.

Very true, I owned a brake shop and went through as many as 5 master cylinders to get a good re-manufactured one.
427L88 likes this.

Glenn R. Lever
My Cars

Control arm Info
post #22 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 19, 3:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_LS1 View Post
Nothing is getting out anywhere but the bleeders. There isnít any carpet in the car so that would have been obvious.
What kind of rear calipers do you have ? Are they the Delco OE type rears with the parking brake cable attached to them ?

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #23 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 19, 6:24 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
What kind of rear calipers do you have ? Are they the Delco OE type rears with the parking brake cable attached to them ?
Geez, for his sake I sure hope not. Those things are junk and almost impossible to ever get bled and adjusted right. I messed with a brand new set for over a year, finally took them off and put on a complete matched system from Wilwood.
LeoP likes this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #24 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 4:55 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

All of the calipers are Wilwood.
Iím going to bleed them AGAIN this weekend.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #25 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 7:27 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Glenn, Tom, didnt you notice the MC was pooched when you tried to bench bleed it? I had one like that recently, from SSBC. Reason I ask is we jsut installed one on a non-Chevelle ( mu kids 91 Toyo pickup), and while it bench bled fine, as our OP, I cant seem to get a firm pedal out of it.

THNX Glenn, I'll have Donny read your write up so he can try the third bleed himself!

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #26 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 9:21 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
Glenn, Tom, didnt you notice the MC was pooched when you tried to bench bleed it? I had one like that recently, from SSBC. Reason I ask is we jsut installed one on a non-Chevelle ( mu kids 91 Toyo pickup), and while it bench bled fine, as our OP, I cant seem to get a firm pedal out of it.

THNX Glenn, I'll have Donny read your write up so he can try the third bleed himself!
In my case, it seemed to bench bleed just fine. Only when it was back on the car and hooked up did it exhibit problems.
post #27 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 9:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by any4xx View Post
In my case, it seemed to bench bleed just fine. Only when it was back on the car and hooked up did it exhibit problems.

No, problems were not noticed until mounted on the car. The common symptom is tiny air bubbles when tiring to bleed the master.

Glenn R. Lever
My Cars

Control arm Info
post #28 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 10:53 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Are you still getting air from the bleeders or just crappy pedal ? Sometimes you can pinch the break lines with line clamps and then see if you have a nice hard pedal . If so start un clamping the lines one by one and checking pedal firmness each time and you might find your trouble area . Also if something isnt right like a caliper isnt centered over the rotor square for some strange reason the caliper and rotor will flex when you apply the pedal causing a crappy pedal feeling .

72 Malibu Family Fun Car
post #29 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

So here is another question that may be related...
Each of the calipers have 4 bleeder screws, top and bottom, inside and outside. 16 screws total.
I have been bleeding the brakes with the wheels on the car so only bleeding the top inside bleeders screws on each caliper, which now have speed bleeders.
Should I bleed the top OUTSIDE bleeder screw too? It seems like there could be air in there without a path to the inside bleeder.
It would be nice (although embarrassing) if this were the issue because it seems like a simple fix.

post #30 of 76 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 10:14 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Just watched a short video on You Tube. Don't think I can link but I just did a search (how to bleed Wildwood brakes) it said to bleed the upper outboard bleeder first and then bleed the upper inboard bleeder. Nothing is done with the lower bleeders. I'm sure you can find that brief video.
In the video no wheels are on the car during bleeding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in