Ridetech full coilover kit. 67 Chevelle - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 19, 2:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Ridetech full coilover kit. 67 Chevelle

Hey all. I have been looking around on here and other forums. And I had a few questions about the ridetech full coilover kit. So I'll ask first does anyone have one on a 67? If so, how do you like it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 6:05 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Re: Ridetech full coilover kit. 67 Chevelle

Bump
Bluesky10 likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 19, 10:09 AM
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binford View Post
Hey all. I have been looking around on here and other forums. And I had a few questions about the ridetech full coilover kit. So I'll ask first does anyone have one on a 67? If so, how do you like it?
I have Ridetech Full Coilover kit installed on my 66, I think the kits are the same for a 66-67. I am VERY happy with it. Install was fairly easy (I installed a Wilwood front disk brake kit at the same time). The only issues I ran into was with the sway bar, I can go into it more if you decided to pull the trigger on the kit. Not really a big deal but I can save you some time.

I have had it installed for about 3 months and it feels like a completely different car. Not sure what type of a feel you are looking for but the next thing for me is to replace the steering box, it needs to be a bit quicker to make the car handle better. I bought my kit from Matts Classic Bowties (sponsor on this site), he did a great job of getting me the kit and the correct springs for my application.

I do have some pics of the install and how the car sits now (it is at the Ridetech suggested ride height) if you are interested.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Mike
Bluesky10 likes this.

Mike P
66 Chevelle 300 Deluxe

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 19, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Good to know. I'm pretty set that I'm going to go this route. As much as pictures would help I would suggest a different route. I'm very close to you. Maybe we could set up a meet and greet in a parking lot and I could check out the car/ suspension in person.

I'll pm you.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 19, 1:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

MikeAP and Binford,

This looks like a good starting point for me. I have a 67 project, and am leaning toward the Pro-Touring style, but maybe with a touch of Pro-Street.

My plan is to begin with the frame and build it up from there. My suspension is going to be my first part of the project.

I would really like to see some photos of your installs, and hear your input from the installations.

Thank you,
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Frame Day 1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	601144  
Binford likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 19, 2:41 PM
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesky10 View Post
MikeAP and Binford,

This looks like a good starting point for me. I have a 67 project, and am leaning toward the Pro-Touring style, but maybe with a touch of Pro-Street.

My plan is to begin with the frame and build it up from there. My suspension is going to be my first part of the project.

I would really like to see some photos of your installs, and hear your input from the installations.

Thank you,
Steve
Hi Steve, your frame looks REALLY good. Everything went very smooth during my install, I just ran into small issues with the sway bars (one was my fault).

I bought the kit last fall (Black Friday Deals). After the first of the year I saw that RideTech changed the rear sway bar that comes in the kit. So Matt took care of me and I was able to swap it out for the new version. The first issue was the new rear sway bar design would not work with my exhaust. I have a flowmaster 2.5" kit (exits just behind the rear wheel on the side). The new design hit the exhaust so I could not mount it to the frame. So Matt and RideTech worked with me and I was able to get the original style (bolts to the lower control arms) which worked with no issues. So if I would have kept the one I originally had I would not have had an issue.

The second issue was the front sway bar is suppose to mount to the factory front sway bar holes in the frame (you just have to drill and tap them to a bigger size). Mine was off by about 1/8" so I could not get the bolts in. Unfortunately where the holes lined up were right on the weld were the frame comes together. So I had to grind it down and drill new holes. Not a bug deal either but just wanted to let you know. I have detailed pics of the fix if you run into the same issue.

I have attached some pics.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0886.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	601146   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0888.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	396.8 KB
ID:	601148   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0613.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	601150   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0614.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	601170  

Name:	IMG_0615.jpg
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	601172   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0625.jpg
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	601174   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0626.jpg
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	601176   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0627.jpg
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	601178  

Name:	IMG_0633.jpg
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	601180   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0632.jpg
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	601182   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0634.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	601184   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0635.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	601186  

Mike P
66 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 19, 2:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

That is one sexy car right there.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 19, 11:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Agreed Binford.

Mike,

Are you running the 10 or 12 bolt?
What brand and size wheels and tires on front and rear?
Please include off-sets for the wheels.
Did you have to modify the wells to have clearance?
What steering box are you using?
I will be running Wilwood disc on all 4 corners also.
Which part numbers did you go with?
Did the kit come with the coil overs, or a separate purchase?

Sorry so many questions, but your 66 has the stance I am looking for. Much easier to consider what works for someone else, so since you have been down that road, I would rather ask you.

Bluesky,
Steve
Binford likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Looks like he's rocking usmag u111 in 18-8 and 18-9.5
Those wheels don't have a variable backspacing. So you get what you get.

I got the same wheels for my chevelle. They look good.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 1:25 PM
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesky10 View Post
Agreed Binford.

Mike,

Are you running the 10 or 12 bolt?
What brand and size wheels and tires on front and rear?
Please include off-sets for the wheels.
Did you have to modify the wells to have clearance?
What steering box are you using?
I will be running Wilwood disc on all 4 corners also.
Which part numbers did you go with?
Did the kit come with the coil overs, or a separate purchase?

Sorry so many questions, but your 66 has the stance I am looking for. Much easier to consider what works for someone else, so since you have been down that road, I would rather ask you.

Bluesky,
Steve
Thanks for the kind words guys. Steve I totally understand about seeing what works for other people. I bought this car last fall and spent most of the winter on this forum and others researching to find out what will fit or not. I hate to do things twice.

The first thing I did was replace wheels and tires. I went with US Mag Rambler (U111) wheels, rears are 18x9.5 fronts are 18x8. There is no option for backspace, they are both setup right in the middle (rear - 5.25 front - 4.5). I also went with Nitto NT 555 G2 tires, rear 275/40 front 245/45 (overall height is exactly the same). There is a pic on the US Mag website (in the Rambler wheels section) of a 66 Chevelle with the same size, I figured if they fit on that car they would fit on mine. There is no issue with anything rubbing, and I have not modified anything on the car for them to fit. Honestly, I think I can get a bit wider tire on the rear since there is plenty of room. I might do that when it is time to replace them.

I have the stock power steering box installed right now. My plan is to upgrade that at some point. I am leaning toward the Borgeson 12.7x:1 ratio box. Should make the steering feel more like a modern car.

I have the stock 10 bolt rear end in the car right now, I plan to upgrade that to a 9” this winter (looking at the Moser or Strange kits).

I wanted to car to handle like a modern car and have a low stance, but not too low. I found the RideTech compete coil over set (part # 11230201) looked like it would meet my needs. Everything was included in the kit, you can take a look at it on their website. The install was VERY easy, however I did run into 2 small issues with the sway bars. They were easily fixed, I can explain more later if you are interested. Since my steering links looked a bit “worn” I also replaced them with RideTech part # 11249570. The entire front suspension and steering (minus the PS box) is new on my car, so I should be all set for a while.

Since I am planning to replace the rear end this winter, I just replace my front brakes (kept the drum on the rears). The Wilwood website seems to be down this morning so I cant get you a part number but I can get it for you later if you are interested. I went with 6 piston 12.88” one-piece rotors. They bolted up without any issues. My car had the factory non power (single reservoir) master cylinder so I had to replace it to work with the Disc brakes. I went with the Wilwood master with attached prop valve. Works perfectly.

I think I answered all your questions, if you still have more I would be willing to chat on the phone if that helps. I will also say that I purchased everything (except wheels and tires) from Matt and Matts Classic Bowties. He is a sponsor on here, you can find him in the sponsor section (MCB). He was VERY helpful and gave me great prices on everything.

Mike P
66 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 9:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Thanks for the info. Strange offers bolt-ins now, but when I was in the market a couple of years ago for a rearend for my 77 Z, I looked at Strange and Moser, but at that time Strange did not offer the direct bolt-in's like today. Moser did, so I went with Moser. Great quality, and when they said direct bolt-in, that is what it was, with no issues at all. Here is a photo of mine installed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20171201_121037[1].jpg
Views:	18
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	601320  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 9:14 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

I went with the 35 spline axels and with the street use the car will see, I went with a Wavetrac posi. Wavetrac® Differential - A torque biasing differential with a difference

Haven't looked lately, but Moser was the only distributer, and they have a lifetime warranty. Moser had tested them in their cars, and had not broken one yet.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 10:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

I have a Strage S60 with the S-trac helical posi that is supposed to be stronger than the Eaton tru-trac.

It's as strong as a 9 inch and looks much better IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5701.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	601328   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5699.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	601330   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5705.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	601332  
Bluesky10 likes this.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, 12 bolt, Marina Blue with black interior
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 1:48 PM
Mike

Garage

Bluesky10 - I have been looking at both Strange and Moser. I had a bolt in Moser 9" in my 69 Chevelle years ago. You are right it was "Bolt In", really nice product. Looks like they both have "Bolt In" 9"s, 12 bolts and Dana 60s, with a ton of options. I live about 30 min from Strange so I could save on the shipping (but will have tax) so I am not sure what I will do yet. When I decided to make my 69 a drag car we replace the rear end with a Strange 9". We had an odd noise and we trailered the car to Strange and the Tech rode with me in the parking lot and knew exactly what the issue was. Brought them the center section back and they took care of if for free. So I am a bit partial to their customer service. However I do like the Moser packages also. My plan is to make a decision this winter so I am ready to go next spring.

nashville beth - that looks really nice. Not sure I know what a S60 is. Is that Stranges version of a Dana 60?

Mike P
66 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 7:28 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

I put a Strange S60 with the Tru-trac Helical / worm type Posi + Ford Housing Ends + Chrome Moly 1350 Yoke
+ LPW support cover + S/T Series 35 Spline Axles & ½” Studs

and they are stronger than any other Rearend based on my Research

Binford and Bluesky10 like this.

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/06/23
60' = 1.561
1/8 = 7.411 et / 90.18 mph
1/4 = ??.??? et / ??? mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in