Ridetech full coilover kit. 67 Chevelle - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 8:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage
Re: Ridetech full coilover kit. 67 Chevelle

I also put all new Suspension Parts on my car from UMI Perf

I looked at various other companies
eg. BMR Fab. / Hotchkis / Edelbrock / Hellwigs / SC & C / HRPartsNStuff / Speed Tech .....
I would have purchased the UMI Perf 64-67 GM A Body Handling Package- Stage 2 # ABF403-64
except that the kit came with 1" lowering springs
which I did not want or need as I run OEM stock springs for the stock riding height.
I purchased the following from UMI Perf and found them to be
of the best looking & quality that I have ever seen/used;
1. UMI Perf 64-67 GM A Body Rear Lower Boxed / Adj Upper Control Arms # 402126
2. UMI Perf 64-72 GM A Body Solid Front and Rear Sway Bar Kit # 403534
3. UMI Perf 64-72 GM A-Body Tubular Upper & Lower Front A-Arm Kit # 403133
4. UMI Perf 64-72 GM A-Body Viking Front Coil Over, Dbl Adj Shocks # A205-550T
5. UMI Perf 64-72 GM A-Body Viking Rear Dbl Adj Shocks # B220
6. UMI Perf 64-72 GM A-Body Tie Rod Adjusters # 2103
7. UMI Perf 64-67 GM A-Body Rear Shock Tower Brace # 4059
Also I added the Rear Frame Cross Brackets.
The difference in ride quality/handling , went to firm and stable,
that I have acquired with the great parts from UMI Perf I put on from the previous original type Springs
and Shocks ride which was like riding on a log road,
so it has been a night to day type change in ride and handling response .
See the various Kits for your car here
Handling Kits : UMI Performance, Inc.
dependant on what you want,
Bluesky10 likes this.

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 19, 9:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Mike, Nashville Beth, and Kirk's67ss,

Thank you for the great information. I must say, the Strange S60 is a strong looking package. I was leaning toward the 12 bolt package, but with the strength of the S60, the bolt-on rear cover, it sure looks fitting for a chevy replacement.

I only have one question. Does the S60 rearend assemble internal like a chevy? Having to setup the depth/clearances of the ring and pinion requires a lot of disassembly and time.

With a need to swap rear gears depending on usage, the 9 type makes it a very easy setup. Also, if you want to spend the money, you can have another center section already setup and slide the axels out a bit and swap it out. However, either choice looks good.

Mike, IMHO, if I were that close to either company, I'd go with the one I could visit. I agree, face to face customer service is the best choice.

I have a similar situation here with automotive machine shops. 3 separate shops here local, owned by the 3 individuals I've known since basically high-school. They all worked at one of the 3 shops together back then, and over time 2 of the guys branched out with their own shops. All were, and still are known for their quality work on high performance engines for various types of racing, drag racing seems to be the primary. With all that said, it is nice to walk in, talk to a friend, and have that face to face time. I've never had an issue with quality work, but the relationship seems to get my work accomplished quickly.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 19, 10:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesky10 View Post
Mike, Nashville Beth, and Kirk's67ss,

Thank you for the great information. I must say, the Strange S60 is a strong looking package. I was leaning toward the 12 bolt package, but with the strength of the S60, the bolt-on rear cover, it sure looks fitting for a chevy replacement.

I only have one question. Does the S60 rearend assemble internal like a chevy? Having to setup the depth/clearances of the ring and pinion requires a lot of disassembly and time.
The S60 is much faster to change gears; it has the adjustable side nuts that eliminate the shims (like a 9").

I boxed my lower control arms with a $20 kit from Summit. The rear sway bar (1") fit the locating holes perfectly.

The S60 relocates the upper control arm holes almost 1" higher and that helps traction. You want the upper arms parallel to the ground as much as possible.

I went with the stock Moog bushings as I really doubt that polyurethane benefits very much and probably ruins the ride.
Corvettes don't use hard bushings LOL

This video is good :
Kirk's67SS, Binford and Bluesky10 like this.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 19, 3:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Nashville Beth,

I think I am sold on the S60. Thanks for the video link. Maybe in the future I will not have to bench press a differential assembly. I'm to old and tired for that stuff.

Can any of you point me in the correct direction for a build thread here on Team Chevelle? It appears to be the garage section, but thought I would ask and save rework.

Thanks Again,
Steve
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 19, 5:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesky10 View Post
Nashville Beth,

I think I am sold on the S60. Thanks for the video link. Maybe in the future I will not have to bench press a differential assembly. I'm to old and tired for that stuff.

Can any of you point me in the correct direction for a build thread here on Team Chevelle? It appears to be the garage section, but thought I would ask and save rework.

Thanks Again,
Steve
I would definitely recommend upgrading from the clutch posi to the S-trac helical gear posi ($350). Total cost was $3000 shipped to my door

I was able to install the S60 by myself. I just attached all 4 arms to the car, slid the S60 into place and used two jacks to raise it and connect the upper arms first to the rear; then the lowers. Slid the springs into position and then attached the shocks. Done !

Installing the new bushings in all of the suspension took a few days LOL

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in