70 chevelle leaning right side - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 19, 7:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Garage
Re: 70 chevelle leaning right side

I have a lean in mine as well. I have adjustable upper rear control arms. Was wondering if they were not adjusted equally could that cause a lean?

55 Chevy Resto Mod - Sold
99 Corvette - Sold
68 El Camino - L79 Tribute
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 19, 8:31 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jat70 View Post
That would be my assumption. Good luck on the front.
Thank you !! I am taking things one step at a time as I'm just blue collar dad and can only blow so much cash at a time before mamma gets in my arse .lol. I wish I could do coil overs and all that but a solid rebuild new shocks and a slightly larger sway bar should make a dramatic difference . Ill probably sneak a JGC steering box in there as well ..ssshhh dont tell mamma . Good luck to you too let us know if you figure out a cure .

72 Malibu Family Fun Car
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 19, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtogeoff View Post
Mate's 67 GTO leaned on one side. Swapped springs, shocks etc, no difference. He fitted a spacer under one of the springs to fix the problem. Most likely cause was a twisted frame from previous collision damage.
Anything is possible with a 50 year old car. To me, it's really odd swapping springs didn't cause the problem to switch sides, yet improved the lean on the right side. I've got to inspect more of the components in greater detail but I think I'll avoid spending too much more time on it since it is so much closer to normal now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70SSTHUMPER View Post
Weak front drivers side could be the culprit, have someone lift up drivers side front bumper while you stand in the back and watch. (you could do this with one hand only) Look at the rear of the car, not just the passenger side.
I did the entire front suspension last year. It needed it, but I was hoping it would fix the lean. No such luck.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 12:58 AM
Tech Team
Jason

I noticed mine leaning about 3/4 inch I had a upper control arm bushing (poly)on the rearend missing. And a lower control arm on the opposite side (delrin bushing) has 1/4 inch of wobble. Replaced it all with spherical bearings it’s level now.
If all your bushings are good and control arms aren’t bent loosen up the rear suspension bolts then retorque them with full weight that may help. I think that’s what ultimately leveled mine.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old May 20th, 19, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jay

I definitely need to replace bushings. They're in rough shape. I replaced the springs and it sits exactly the same as before. They were 2 inches taller than the old springs, prior to installation, but made no difference. And it still leans. I'll do the bushings next year, but I think I'll put spacers in to level it out since it's it's a bit less effort. I hate how low the rear sits. If I knew this last year when I did the front suspension, I would have lowered the front.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old May 21st, 19, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtogeoff View Post
Mate's 67 GTO leaned on one side. Swapped springs, shocks etc, no difference. He fitted a spacer under one of the springs to fix the problem. Most likely cause was a twisted frame from previous collision damage.
According to the shop that did the state inspection, there's no frame damage of any kind, but I'm going to do the spacers as well. I want to raise one side 2 inches and the other side 3. Did he have trouble getting them in? I barely got the new springs in. I'll need 2-3 more inches getting the spacers in next.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old May 21st, 19, 12:06 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

I have a lean on the drivers side. I installed custom weight jacks so I could adjust rear ride height. The driver's side is cranked up a ton more than the passenger side, but what's really strange is that after a certain point it basically stops lifting up. This basically just adds preload and affects the corner weight.

I've changed springs thinking it was a bad spring, even though knew.

I put new poly body mounts in, which had no effect.

I would love to do a frame off and have the frame checked for squareness and then put coil overs on. But that's a can't do project for now.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in