Proportioning valve - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 1:19 PM Thread Starter

Proportioning valve

Hey guys, I recently bought a brake line set from Right Stuff. It included a new proportioning valve. Iíve also seen it called a combination valve. The instructions show it mounted on the master cylinder where the old metering valve was. Does this new valve replace the old proportioning valve mounted on the frame and the metering valve on the master? Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 3:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jon

Garage
Re: Proportioning valve

What year car? It will make a difference on where an how the valve gets mounted.

1972 Chevelle SS 454 "W" code
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 6:00 PM Thread Starter

Sorry. Itís a 1969 Chevelle

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 8:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dflores View Post
Does this new valve replace the old proportioning valve mounted on the frame and the metering valve on the master?
How important is originality to you? I bought a rear disc brake set up and got a Disc/Disc Proportioning Valve (D/DPValve. The new D/DPValve is somewhat different from the factory Combination Valve (CValve) since it adds a necessary proportioning aspect to the brake system to prevent premature lock up of the rear brakes) The D/DPValve looks almost identical to the factory CValve that mounted to the frame, so I mounted the new D/DPValve in place of the old CValve (I got frame bracket from InLine Tube to facilitate the mounting). The result is no one knows the Brake setup has been altered, because the D/DPValve is "hidden."

IMHO I think it looks much better to have the PValve on the frame than having the D/DPValve up by the M/S.

If originality is of no concern you can mount your new PValve up by the Master Cylinder. However, I believe that additional brake lines will be needed to do so...

So, I'd answer your question with "Yes."

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 8:47 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Garage

The front disc rear drum brake system has two valves.

-The metering valve goes on the front line and prevents nose dive during panic stops.
https://www.google.com/search?

biw=1093&bih=521&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=k821XNi2NaKRggf6 5pPYDw&q=metering+valve+master+power&oq=metering+v alve+master+power&gs_l=img.3...14802.17331..17879. ..0.0..0.80.787.12......0....1..gws-wiz-img.......0i8i30.Z9IzFQr030M#imgrc=QQbQjFsP9a8-KM:

-The Proportion valve goes on the rear line and prevents rear wheel lock up during stops.. I prefer the adjustable style...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...SABEgK-__D_BwE
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the fast responses and good information. Most appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in