1969 rear control arms - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By SS70ElCaminoOwner

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 19, 7:09 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

1969 rear control arms

I just picked up set boxed lowers and uppers for that came out of 1969 Chevrolet. I know I can use the losers with sway bar, but the uppers can they be used with the 69 12 bolt I just got too. Or will I have to user the uppers with modification from my 1967 as I read they are longer or shorter not sure which car currently has the 10 bolt rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 19, 8:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage
Re: 1969 rear control arms

The 1969 model year factory Rear Upper Control Arms for the 12 Bolt Rear End are slightly different from the Arms used with the '69's 10 Bolt. The 12 Bolt's Arms have a Reinforcement Tab on the Driver's Side Arm (the 10 Bolt versions do not have the reinforcement). The reinforcement was used because the Driver's Side Arms were cut down (radiused) to fit the 12 Bolt's upper ears.

The '68 through '72 Upper Control Arms were 10.25 inches. The '64 through '67 Arms were 12.75 inches.

Be aware that the width of the '69's 12 Bolt is different than the 67's...

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 19, 8:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

So to install the 12 bolt in my 1967 do I use my 67 10 bolt upper control arms with drivers side modified or use the 69 10 bolt upper control arms with drivers side modified, also is their any benefit to having the uppers boxed?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 19, 10:13 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Garage

Your '67 Chevelle should retain the '67 Upper Control Arms with the '69 12 Bolt.

Test fit he '67 uppers on the 12 bolt prior to doing any hacking on them.

I would invest in a nice set of aftermarket uppers before I'd pay to have them boxed.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 9:06 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

So safe to say I can sand install bushings and paint the lowers, for the uppers is UMI safe choice? rest of suspension has been changed Bilsteins factory springs all body bushings and front bushings as well, also as the lowers are boxed would a rear sway bar help, have 1.25 Seay bar in front
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 11:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Glenn

1964 through 1967 used a longer upper control arm Bushing Hole Spacing Rear Control Arms Center to center bushing hole dimension for 1968 thru 1972 rear upper control arms is 10 1/4 inches.

Center to center bushing hole dimension for 1964 thru 1967 rear upper control arms is 12 3/4 inches.

https://www.lever-family-racing.com/...hole-dimension

Box Rear Upper Control Arms

https://www.lever-family-racing.com/...ox-rear-uppers

GM DOES NOT RECOMMEND the upper arms to be boxed. I only do it becuase people insist on paying me to do it.

12 Bolt.

https://www.lever-family-racing.com/...olt-difference

Box Rear Upper Control Arms

https://www.lever-family-racing.com/...ox-rear-uppers

Create 12 Bolt Control Arms

https://www.lever-family-racing.com/...e-12-bolt-arms

NickeyChevelle likes this.

Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars

Control arm Info
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 2:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradco View Post
So safe to say I can sand install bushings and paint the lowers, for the uppers is UMI safe choice? rest of suspension has been changed Bilsteins factory springs all body bushings and front bushings as well, also as the lowers are boxed would a rear sway bar help, have 1.25 Seay bar in front
The factory Rear Upper Control Arms should be fine unless you're doing some serious road racing and have gobs of horsepower.

A rear Sway Bar would be a great addition.

I like UMI, but the choice is yours.

Our You Tube Vids:

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 10:33 AM

1964-1967 arms are 12-15/16 on center.

1968-1972 arms are 10-1/4 on center.

The arms match the year of car.

Our upper arm, axle side, are clearanced and fit both 10 and 12 bolt. The material is thick enough to not require the reinforcement patch.

As Glen mentions, a little bit of flex up there helps. Our arms are pretty stout so if flex concerns you (i.e. you want some) you can use a Roto-Joint upper. The poly ones work great for general street and performance use.

Thanks guys for mentioning UMI.

ramey

UMI Technical Support

814-376-6000

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 10:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Glenn

My advice to you is use Moog rubber bushing, stock arms, box the lower arms and add a sway bar. I twill not handle like the same car.

Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars

Control arm Info
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 1:06 PM
Team Member
Steve

Wow! A lot of good information here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in