Team Chevelle banner

Buick Grand National steering box??

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Tom Mobley 
#1 ·
I had read but cannot find it anymore with search feature. I remember a post about putting a 87 Buick Grand National steering box in an A body Chevelle. I am building a 66 Chevelle and was curious to any mods or recommendations on this.
Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Works well, but limits your turning radius. A Monte Carlo SS and Olds 442 FE3 box should be the same, remans run around $120, or they did a few years ago when I put one in my daughter's '82 El Camino.
The Jeep Grand Cherokee box is a better choice for no more money, and the mods needed to install it are negligible. Check out the sticky at the top of this forum, a bunch of us have used then with good results.

Reactions: OLDED
#4 ·
I looked at the jeep box but have a rebuilt Buick box already so I would like to use it. Why would I loose turning radius??? What is all needed for this mod? Ie pitman arm or column shaft/rag joint?
Thanks again for the opinions

#5 ·
It appears the internal stops inside the box might limit how far the steering wheel can turn but I have no direct experience with a Grand National box. Take a look at the two Pitman arms - do they look the same? Same shape and spline count?

I love my JGC steering box swap and there might not be as many people that have a Grand National box. My JGC box did need a new rag joint but I needed a new one anyway to replace my original from 1970. The hardest part of this swap for me was getting the Pitman arm on the JGC box pressed off with a really big hydraulic press.

For the price, it is very difficult to go wrong with a JGC box. It cost me $25 for the box and $25 for the yard to pull it for me.

Rick

#9 ·
According to the Jim Shea steering papers, only the Jeep GC and the 88-96 GM "B" body boxes have the necessary 43.5 deg or more (half) travel. These will not reduce your turning radius. The "G" body boxes will have less turning radius at 39.25 deg (half).

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Chevelles need the full 88 degrees turn on the Pitmann shaft. no camaro /firebird box I know of has that. They have steering stops (travel limiters) inside the box. They will work on a Chevelle but like already said it'll take the whole lower 40 to turn it around. Don't ask how I know this.

Reactions: LeoP
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.