Wilwood brakes and factory wheels? 71-72 - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 19, 9:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Don

Garage
Wilwood brakes and factory wheels? 71-72

Just wondering if anyone is using the factory 15 inch SS wheel (71/72 style) with the Wilwood 12.19 rotors. And if so what caliper? Can the 6 piston Dynapro fit? Or the 4 piston Dynapro or Dynalite? And if you have them what spindle are you using or tall ball joints?
The plan is for all aftermarket suspension/coilovers and Wilwood brakes but I need to be able to bolt on a set of factory wheels at times. Just want to get the biggest ones I can get to fit the small wheels and not look puny with larger wheels.

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 19, 1:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Re: Wilwood brakes and factory wheels? 71-72

Wilwood has wheel clearance diagrams with each brake kit on their website. I used them to measure the Weld wheels on my 68. I discovered that only their smallest rotors would fit my application. You really need to take off a wheel and check their diagrams with a straightedge and a measuring tape to know for sure.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 19, 2:03 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

I can almost guarantee the brakes you want will not fit the factory wheels.

I had to completely custom design my brakes to fit my 15x7 keystone klassic wheels. I run an 11.75x1.25 rotor with a Wilwood Superlite caliper. With a different bracket and slightly more offset, I could run a 12.19" rotor.

Unfortunately the 11" kits might be your only option from Wilwood, but the truth is those kits offer worse performance than the stock setup.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 19, 9:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Don

Garage

Well that kinda changes my plans. Might as well just put the 17's or 18's on it and use a larger brake kit.

Don
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 19, 10:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volks View Post
Well that kinda changes my plans. Might as well just put the 17's or 18's on it and use a larger brake kit.

Don
Yup. I love the looks of 15 wheels on these cars, but it definitely limits choices when it comes to better braking. But.... unless youre road racing, I think the smaller disc brakes are well up to the task of occasional hard stops.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 19, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Don

Garage

Agree. But if I put a set of 18's on it will 11 inch rotors look a little small? And yes I am concerned how it looks. Lol
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 19, 11:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volks View Post
Agree. But if I put a set of 18's on it will 11 inch rotors look a little small? And yes I am concerned how it looks. Lol
Id THINK 17s and 11s would be perfect. But youd about have to have both the wheels and brake system measured out together unless you can find someone whos already put together a particular combination. In my case, my 15 Weld wheels wont fit over the smallest Baer brakes, even though other 14 wheels will. Theyre just tapered in too far.

Im prejudiced by my old-school upbringing, in that I think 17s are about as big as one can get away with on classic muscle cars without the wheels looking out of proportion. But others run 20s and are very happy with the look. Its just my own thing.... on the other hand, Ive always thought the absolute worst look is big open-spoke wheels with miniature brakes behind them. You wouldnt be there with 18s and 11s, but again, everyone has their own tastes and they may look great. I just think tires need to fill the wheel wells and brakes need to fill the wheels for the (my opinion) proper look.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 6:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Don

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by any4xx View Post
Id THINK 17s and 11s would be perfect. But youd about have to have both the wheels and brake system measured out together unless you can find someone whos already put together a particular combination. In my case, my 15 Weld wheels wont fit over the smallest Baer brakes, even though other 14 wheels will. Theyre just tapered in too far.

Im prejudiced by my old-school upbringing, in that I think 17s are about as big as one can get away with on classic muscle cars without the wheels looking out of proportion. But others run 20s and are very happy with the look. Its just my own thing.... on the other hand, Ive always thought the absolute worst look is big open-spoke wheels with miniature brakes behind them. You wouldnt be there with 18s and 11s, but again, everyone has their own tastes and they may look great. I just think tires need to fill the wheel wells and brakes need to fill the wheels for the (my opinion) proper look.
Agree I still want a tall tire, probably 27 inch. So that points me towards the 18's. More choices. I have 26 inch front tires on my 68/69 Camaro's. They are small and I think they would look lost on a 71 Chevelle. Those cars have Strange 11.25 rotors with 4 piston calipers. 15 inch Welds, Billet Specialties and Cragars fit no problem. So now I'm leaning towards the 18 inch wheel and the 12 inch Wilwoods won't break the bank.

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 386 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.