Car shakes at 60 MPH - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 19, 3:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Harold

Re: Car shakes at 60 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by korkut View Post
hello,
I had exactly the same issue, replacing cheap rear drums with better quality balanced ones solved it.
korkut
x2
if no change from anything else you have tried, this is likely the solution

New paint -near complete
66 SS 396. now 427
4sp w/GV, AC,PS,3.31 Posi,ft disc,11" r drum
86 Buick Grand National
89 K25 Suburban that I bought new,is new again
And a bunch of other junk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 12:50 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Vibration or a shake, Torque converter could cause the vibration. If it's a shake in the steering wheel I would jack up the front end and have some move the steering wheel back and forth see if anything is loose tie rods, drag link, idler arm etc... Make sure you use jack stands

69 Chevelle Conv 396
69 Chevelle Hardtop
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 19, 3:08 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Have someone ride in another car next to you and look. Odds are they will see which corner it is coming from. They start swapping parts/wheels side to side to narrow it down.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 19, 9:18 PM
Tech Team
Geoff

Garage

Believe it or not....I have found steering boxes very loose and even missing bolts, don't cost nutin to check.... Idler arms too...
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 19, 9:36 PM
Tech Team
Daryl

Garage

Stock or aftermarket wheels? I just had an issue with an aftermarket wheel hitting the balance weights on the rear brake drums. Caused wheel to be slightly cocked when installed. Found it by running on jack stands. A little grinder work on weights and all is well. Don't believe I took enough off to affect drum balance.

1970 Chevelle 505 640hp/625tq 700R4 with 2.84 gearset plus more goodies! Moser 12 bolt 33 spline axles Fitech Meanstreet fuel injection
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 19, 9:48 PM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage

Here is a question. Put the car in park and rev up to the designated 60-70 mph rpm like 3,000 rpm and see if the shaking is there while car is standing still and in park. Then continue to rev past the 70 mph and see if shaking goes away. Look at your rear view mirror and see if it starts vibrating at that rpm. A friend of mine had the same thing and there were a variety of issues but it would do the same as your car but not only at 70 mph but also sitting in park. It would vibrate the car between 2,900- to 3,300 rpm then go away. One of the things turned out to be a bad clutch fan.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 19, 12:24 PM
Tech Team
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by @1973chevelle View Post
Hey guys I have a 1973 chevelle malibu that I’ev been hunting down the cause of my shake at 60 mph. So far here is what I’ev done: i have all 4 brand new tires that have been balanced, driveshaft has been taken to a shop and balanced, u joints have been replaced, transmission mounts and engine mounts are tight and look new. I have 235’s on the front and 275’s in the rear. The next thing I’m going to do is replace the brake drums and rotors. Is there anything else that can be causing my shake? It starts at around 55 and is very noticeable at 60 but smooths out at around 70+ mph and the shake is pretty much non existent at that point.
Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks
I have the same issue with my 70 Chevelle SS. Vibration issue 55-70 mph. Re-balanced all 4 wheels. I checked the driveshaft and
u-joints for balance and wear. Balance was right on and u-joints were good. I checked the driveline angles and they were within the required specifications. I then had the tires and wheel weights removed from all four rims and checked the rims for balance and to determine if the rims were running true. Low and behold the reproduction rims were out of balance and not true. Three rims have a wheel hop. I spoke with a friend who has a 1971 Chevelle SS with re-production rims. He had the same issue with the rims. He went through 12 reproduction rims sets before he could find 4 good rims. The reproduction rims are not of the same quality as the original factory rims. I have my original factory wheels which I'm going to have them media blasted and repainted to factory specs. Just a thought for you to check if you have reproduction rims.
427L88 likes this.

Jay

1970 Chevelle SS L-34
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 19, 3:20 PM
Tech Team
John

This is an excellent article about tracking down vibration.

https://www.motor.com/magazine-summa...ns-march-2018/
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @1973chevelle View Post
Hey guys I have a 1973 chevelle malibu that Iíev been hunting down the cause of my shake at 60 mph. So far here is what Iíev done: i have all 4 brand new tires that have been balanced, driveshaft has been taken to a shop and balanced, u joints have been replaced, transmission mounts and engine mounts are tight and look new. I have 235ís on the front and 275ís in the rear. The next thing Iím going to do is replace the brake drums and rotors. Is there anything else that can be causing my shake? It starts at around 55 and is very noticeable at 60 but smooths out at around 70+ mph and the shake is pretty much non existent at that point.
Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks
First post from first time Chevelle owner. I have just bought a one-owner 73 SS with 71k miles on it. Exhibits the same symptom you mention. I've gone through some of the same debugging you have but still have the vibration. It feels a like pinion-angle issue I have felt in lifted trucks, but that is unlikely the cause in my case. Car has new stock size 225/14 Cooper tires and wheels which have been balanced twice just to eliminate that common problem. Shocks have been replaced with Bilstein AK (originals were still on the car.) Pinion/Ring changed to 3.08 so I can run freeway at lower RPM, and that made no change. Wondering if OP tried rear drum swap and/or if the solution was found.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 1:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

So something was done or happened between how it drives now and how it was driving when you posted this :

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/16-...l#post11084488

and my guess is the tires could be your problem.Even though a tire is brand new that doesn't mean its a good tire.AND the problem you have is a common symptom of a bent rim or an out of round tire.
Plus and this is important to help us help you>>>it's been said before but WHERE do you feel the vibration ? in the steering wheel mostly OR in the seat mostly ? <<<
You need to remember back to when the problem started and what change led to the car shaking like that,that will help you figure out what is messed up on your 73 Chevelle.
PS...it's good to see the later year Chevelle's getting some love.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in