'66 Chevelle Front Coil Spring problem - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 19, 5:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

The compressor from AutoZone is the internal type.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 19, 6:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

The "66" service manual has a different method for Chevelle front spring replacement. Dimensions for a special tool are shown,and how it's used for the procedure. Wonder if anyone at the dealership's did it this way? Probably not,we always found ways to improvise to save time or if a special tool wasn't available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190311_181537921_1552342941995.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	588642   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190311_181555981_1552343081976.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	3.52 MB
ID:	588644  
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 19, 9:49 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jeff Wilson

Re: '66 Chevelle Front Coil Spring problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B View Post
The compressor from AutoZone is the internal type.
I think I'm going to just go borrow the internal type. I looked online at just buying one. The cheap ones seem like a good way to end up in the ER.

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 19, 11:13 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I'm running into the same problem as you have.

I've got Moog 6200 on the front of my 64 and it looks like a gasser. The spring is so tall it's ridiculous. Being so tall makes compressing it extremely scary. My spring compressor is so tight I have to angle it so the threaded rod comes through the hole in the frame for the shock rod.

The a-arms are almost in full droop angle with full weight on the front end, a-arm bushings loose. I can't get the car aligned with it sitting like that.

I've seen the 1:2 ratio for cutting coil springs, 1" of coil for every 2 inches of suspension drop. Will be trying it soon, tired of my front tires wearing out before my rear tires.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 19, 1:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jeff Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
I'm running into the same problem as you have.

I've got Moog 6200 on the front of my 64 and it looks like a gasser. The spring is so tall it's ridiculous. Being so tall makes compressing it extremely scary. My spring compressor is so tight I have to angle it so the threaded rod comes through the hole in the frame for the shock rod.

The a-arms are almost in full droop angle with full weight on the front end, a-arm bushings loose. I can't get the car aligned with it sitting like that.

I've seen the 1:2 ratio for cutting coil springs, 1" of coil for every 2 inches of suspension drop. Will be trying it soon, tired of my front tires wearing out before my rear tires.
I just don't understand how someone can buy the CORRECT part for the car and have it lift the front that far. Shouldn't have to go back and cut the springs over and over until it's to the height you want. Figuring my stock springs had sagged over the years, I was only looking to gain an inch of height in the front, not 3. And yea, mine is the same, there's no way I can get it aligned with it sitting that high.
Hotwire likes this.
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 19, 2:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

More expensive but better quality

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/f...72b2-126783041

Any they now have a lower gas shock in addition to the hydraulic socks for a better ride.
Jeff's66 likes this.

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 19, 3:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
bob

Jim, Eaton Detroit Springs are the best. I have used there springs starting back in the 80's.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 19, 4:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jeff Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B View Post
The "66" service manual has a different method for Chevelle front spring replacement. Dimensions for a special tool are shown,and how it's used for the procedure. Wonder if anyone at the dealership's did it this way? Probably not,we always found ways to improvise to save time or if a special tool wasn't available.
Don, Where did you get your service manual. The one I bought was a chassis service manual. Same thing?
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 19, 5:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

I have original "66" and "67" Chassis service manuals and Unit repair manuals(overhaul). I got them from a guy I worked with at a Chevy dealer back in the 70's. He had a garage full of them,unused,he told me that if you were a Certified Chevrolet Technician back in the 50's and 60's when the dealership got the new model year manuals each Tech got a set,he took his home.He passed away years ago,I asked his son about the manual's,he sold the whole lot to someone.Probably more info than you needed,but I thought I'd share the story.
Kirk's67SS likes this.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 19, 10:15 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff's66 View Post
I think I'm going to just go borrow the internal type. I looked online at just buying one. The cheap ones seem like a good way to end up in the ER.

You can chain or rope the spring such that it won't jump out and hurt you. The way that guy in the video improperly placed his jack (and with no spring retention) he is very lucky he didn't get hurt. If you place the jack correctly then by the time there is a lot of dangerous spring energy it is extremely unlikely it will jump out. I have always used cut high rate springs, which tend to be shorter, and never needed a compressor. Depending on the spring rate there will be close to an inch drop with use. Don't assume or judge height until you drive car for a while.
David Bates likes this.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 19, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jeff Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler View Post
You can chain or rope the spring such that it won't jump out and hurt you. The way that guy in the video improperly placed his jack (and with no spring retention) he is very lucky he didn't get hurt. If you place the jack correctly then by the time there is a lot of dangerous spring energy it is extremely unlikely it will jump out. I have always used cut high rate springs, which tend to be shorter, and never needed a compressor. Depending on the spring rate there will be close to an inch drop with use. Don't assume or judge height until you drive car for a while.
Good advice, Traveler. Thanks! I'm planning on working on the car again this Sunday. I'll report back what the outcome is.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 19, 8:50 PM

I have a 66 Chevelle Malibu convertible that I have restored and put all new front and rear springs in it. I put front coil springs for a SBC w/o AC. I had the same problem in that the front end was too high. I was told by several people to drive it for awhile and let it settle. I drove it for about 3 months and sure enough it settled down very good. The front is about 1 inch higher that it was but it looks great. Hope this helps you out.
pannetron, Don B and Jeff's66 like this.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 19, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jeff Wilson

So here's some really technical math for you guys lol...cut 3/4 coil off of a SBC w/no A/C spring = 1-1/4" drop. It's still a little (3/4") high for my taste but, collector doesn't drag, wheels don't rub so I'm happy. Hoping for a little settling...maybe 3/4" or so. The second spring was a lot easier than the first as I learned what not to do on the first. Went ahead and replaced the shocks and stabilizer bar bushings while I was in there. Shocks were garbage, bushings were hard and had some splits. Got to drive her for a little bit yesterday. Nothing like driving a Chevelle with the windows down on a spring day. Thank you guys for all of your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coil.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	590548   Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	590550  
Kirk's67SS and Hotwire like this.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 19, 10:30 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

if you add spacers at the rear or change the rear spring, that will drop the nose.
Jeff's66 likes this.

post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 19, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jeff Wilson

Thumbs up Re: '66 Chevelle Front Coil Spring problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_66SS View Post
if you add spacers at the rear or change the rear spring, that will drop the nose.
I've got coil-overs on the back. I plan on raising the back up a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in