Disc Brake Conversion basics - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 76 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 10, 2:11 PM
jeff

Re: Disc Brake Conversion basics

Long time lurker. Been thinking of redoing my front brakes to disc for years. Any big changes out there? Thinking stock type discs, don't want to change wheels. This is great site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 76 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 10, 10:18 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Remi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek69SS View Post
Stock Drum Spindles: These are good for more than just scrap iron, so don’t throw them out just yet. With a little machining, you can bolt the stock disc caliper brackets on them, and “convert” them to disc spindles for about $80 if you can do the machine-work yourself. The drum spindles are also very popular for modifying to fit 12” C4 and 13” C5 Corvette brakes. There is some minor machining to be done on the upper bolt boss, custom caliper brackets need to be fabricated, and the Corvette rotors slip on over the drum brake hubs. Access to a machine-shop is helpful, but there have been many “do-it-yourself’ers” who have made their own brackets using 5/16” thick flat steel.
Are there any good writeups about how to step by step do this ?
Happy holidays to all

65 Chevelle, ZZ502 with 11,2:1cr and 242/252 110 cam.
Th400. 3,73. 5200stall.
Best 1/8: 7,058 Best 1/4: 11,17 Best mph: 118,6 Best 60: 1,56
13.6mpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bastard 65 project thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #48 of 76 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 11, 6:18 PM

After reading this, I'm considering dumping my brakes. I hate to do it, but I have higher expectations for the stopping ability of the car. I currently have the stock 4 piston disc's with global west arms. I have sleeved these once several years ago and re-sealed them about every 4 years. Never did wear out a set of pads. BTW: These brakes do clear 14" rally's.

67 Malibu
05 GTO
03 IS300

post #49 of 76 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 11, 4:30 PM
Steve

You could go with the G-body swap
post #50 of 76 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 11, 12:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Remi

I had the G-body spindle and rotor setup om mine. Would`nt even lock the wheels in the rain. I think drums will probably brake better.

65 Chevelle, ZZ502 with 11,2:1cr and 242/252 110 cam.
Th400. 3,73. 5200stall.
Best 1/8: 7,058 Best 1/4: 11,17 Best mph: 118,6 Best 60: 1,56
13.6mpg

Bastard 65 project thread:

post #51 of 76 (permalink) Old May 20th, 11, 10:42 AM
Rodger

What do you forum members think of Groung Up's FM-1790AS Disc Conversion Kit as far
as cost versus benefit and ease of installation for a 1970 Malibu/SS clone. MARTINR
post #52 of 76 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 11, 7:52 PM
lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek69SS View Post
What's Stopping You? -Disc Brake Tech -by Derek Kiefer

The options are nearly endless for adapting disc brakes to the front of your Chevelle or El Camino. Much consideration must be given to your budget, your intentions for how you’ll use the car, and of course your safety when dealing with your brakes. Most of our Chevelles would have came from the factory with drum brakes, with the exception of some ‘67-72s that had optional discs and all ‘69-72 SS cars, which came standard with discs. Many of them have been converted, either using original parts, kits, or some of the other popular swaps. Each option has advantages and disadvantages. Hopefully this information will help you decide which setup is right for your car. The most important part of this is choosing your spindles..
Derek - thanks for the totally enlightening article. Written so all of us can understand the basics for our own knuckle-busting garage antics. What may not work for some definitely will works for others, based on preferences, uses and budget as you've stated.

I'll be starting on my 1965 Malibu SS this winter and this is one of the top items on my list. How about a similarly desscriptive article on adapting a camaro or firebird disc brake rear end into the chevelle/malibu?

Thanks again
post #53 of 76 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 11, 3:55 AM
lloyd

does anyone know if the discs, spindles, a-arms, etc. from a 1988 firebird/camaro are usable on a 1965 SS? How about the whole rearend with discs for a conversion?

I've got a chance to get the whole front suspension and maybe even the rear end pretty cheap.
post #54 of 76 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 11, 10:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Hello Derek,

I have a 65 chevelle and I ran across your post on converting drum spindles to disc. On you post you talked about the 73 to 90 caprices with 11" rotors. My question is can you use the same stock ball joint for this conversion from the 65 are do you have to modify them?
post #55 of 76 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 11, 2:21 PM
Joe

I think I read that 71-72 monte Carlo disc brakes can be used on my 70 Chevelle. I would be very appreciative if anybody could confirm this. I have a line on a Monte that I want to get for scavenging parts. I seek buckets, console, dash (to clone my chevelle to an SS), obviously brakes and maybe power steering, windows etc
Thanx to all...
post #56 of 76 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 12, 11:27 PM
Ken

I want to convert my '65 Tempest from front drums to discs. There are several vendors selling complete "Change-Over Kits." Who has the best, most complete kit?
This car won't be stock, so I'm not concerned with looking correct for 1965.
Just the best selection of parts. I also have a set of tubular A-arms that will be installed at the same time.

Thanks,

Ken C.
post #57 of 76 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 12, 8:09 AM
Rob

Any ONE. Can you tell me the hardware i need? I have CPP 2 inch drop spindles with the steering arm forge and attached. I bought standard height spindles and standard steering arms. I need the correct size hardware to instal this set up. I have a 72 Chevelle.
post #58 of 76 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 12, 5:02 PM
Rob

I am going back to standard height spindles and steering arms for a disc brake set up. also the backing plate. Can anyone tell me all the correct hardware i need? [email protected] HELP thank you
post #59 of 76 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 12, 10:45 AM

Question. I am in the process of completing a a swap from drum to disk breaks. I bought a disk break kit from OPG and it bolted up to the car as advertised. Had to do some bending to the break lines provided. having a problem with the line going from the proportioning valve to brake distribution block. The lines provided are (I believe) 7/16 lines. The top of the distribution block accepts the fitting from the new line, however, the original line was, and again I believe, 1/4". When I connect the new line to the distribution block it tightens up but fluid seeps up around the fitting when I apply the the break. Has any one had this problem? How did you fix it? Can I use a distribution block from a 65-65? Thanks in advance
post #60 of 76 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 12, 9:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

The proportioning valve and line is new, the distribution block is old, correct? As long as the fitting was getting tight, meaning it is the correct size and thread for your distribution block, I'm thinking the flare on the new line is not making a good seal. Using brake line wrenches (not an open end) try loosening and tightening that fitting a couple of times. This will help form fit the new flare to the old block. You are trying to crush it a little, but don't go overboard.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in