Disc Brake Conversion basics - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 76 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 09, 12:36 PM

Re: Disc Brake Conversion basics

Another upgrade would be disc brake pads for a 1990's G series van with 5 lug wheels........apparently, the mtg dimensions are identical to our D52 pads but the swept area is significantly larger. The parts number escapes me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 76 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 09, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70300deluxe View Post
how about a 78 pontiac catalina( basically 78 impala?)
Identical to the 1978-94 Impala/Caprice under the guidelines listed above
post #33 of 76 (permalink) Old May 12th, 09, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopowered68 View Post
Can some one explain what “bump steer” is?
But please explain it like you are talking to a 4 year old.
OR if you have a link please post it up.
Thanks
better late than never, but 'bumpsteer' is what happens when you hit a bump with one(or both) wheels and your car decides it wants to steer itself in a direction other than what you intended.

post #34 of 76 (permalink) Old May 30th, 09, 1:52 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

bumpsteer happens when the lower A-arm and the tie rod are not the same length and/or have different mounting height at the inner and outer rim. As the suspension moves up and down the two parts move in different arcs causing steering weirdness.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #35 of 76 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 9:55 AM

Hi everyone I am new hear. Glad to meet you guys. I have a 1972 CHEVELLE MALIBUE.I have a ? if anyone can answer. I have a 1996 chevey blazer with a blown motor. Before i junk I would like to know if i can put the disc brakes on my chevelle. I just dont have the money yet to get the 13"wildwood kit. The drums are really bad on the car. Have a great morning. Thank you
post #36 of 76 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 11:39 PM
Paul

I have a 70 chevelle and wanted to put a set of front disk of an mid 80's caprice. I was told that they will interchange with the monte of that gen and that they are 13" rotors insted of 11" so will they work in my Chevelle?

Thanks
Paul
post #37 of 76 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 4:15 PM
Eddie

Hello all, and I apologize for this dumb question in advance. I have a 72 Chevelle with drums and I am wondering what other make/model would swap out for disc brakes. There are many cheap junk yards around my area. From what I have been reading here it seems a 72 Monte front spindle/rotor would swap over. What about the rear? Would I have to swap out the whole axle to get disc's in the rear? If so what make/model/yr? Or is there no such thing as a ez swap for rear disc brakes?

thx for you time and consideration......any replies would help.

Eddie B
post #38 of 76 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 09, 9:59 AM
sean

i have 98 - 02 camaro rear disc brakes on my 12 bolt was an easy swap, there is alot of info out there on this . its a nice cheap 12" rotor set up with e-brake and if something brakes or wears out you can go down to local parts house an pick up parts. i got the hole rear for 150.00 with all the parts, i had to get new pads-rotors an e-brake shoes. hope this helps good luck.

sean

http://www.poltergeist.us/page/Elky/.../ls1brakes.htm this is a great page has everything you need
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00339.jpg
Views:	1425
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	25485  
post #39 of 76 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 09, 10:09 AM
Tech Team
Michael

Just had MBM kit installed. Getting the rear end put back in today with new shocks and springs. Did the whole front suspension. The new springs raised the car at least 2-3 inches in the front. Will advise on the braking after I test drive it.
post #40 of 76 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 09, 3:53 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevellenut71 View Post
i have 98 - 02 camaro rear disc brakes on my 12 bolt was an easy swap, there is alot of info out there on this . its a nice cheap 12" rotor set up with e-brake and if something brakes or wears out you can go down to local parts house an pick up parts. i got the hole rear for 150.00 with all the parts, i had to get new pads-rotors an e-brake shoes. hope this helps good luck.

sean

http://www.poltergeist.us/page/Elky/.../ls1brakes.htm this is a great page has everything you need
Sean,

Could you send me a link or two on how you did this swap?
Thanks, Bill
post #41 of 76 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 9:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

do a search here on F body LS1 brakes and you will find everything you need. The only hitch is with the e-brake levers for axles 67 and older, but even that has several solutions (also documented here). The newer axles are a complete bolt up solution.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #42 of 76 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 10, 12:51 AM
Chris

I would like to find out more about how to modify the front drum spindles to take the corvette brakes,or even the stock disc.
post #43 of 76 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 10, 1:22 AM
Tech Team
Eliot

now you say that using the second gen camaro spindles requries the use of either the aftermarket control arm or you said that I could use an offset control arm shaft? I didn't see the shaft anywhere on gloal wests webstite. Two if I were just to bolt them up would the negative camber be really bad or just a little bit more than usual.
post #44 of 76 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 10, 3:44 PM
Pip

Derek-What a brilliant article! I have 2 questions - When I strip the donor car do I take the booster/mastercylinder and metering block as well as the rear disc set up. 2nd would tubular arms relieve clearence on a big block with headers. thanks
post #45 of 76 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 10, 11:48 PM
Tech Team

Hello,

Quick question.

Are front brakes from a 78 Camaro considered "tall" spindles? If so and I use them I can use off set shafts with my factory upper arms to get the correct alignment? Since the spindle is taller will the ball joint angle be off?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in