Disc Brake Conversion basics - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 76 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 07, 8:36 PM

Re: Disc Brake Conversion basics

i have a 64 wagon with six and auto. i was told that an 11 inch power booster might not work because the six may not have enough vaccum. what is the diffrent between a 11inch and a 9inch power booster. thanks john
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 76 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 07, 1:24 AM
Tech Team

Can you run down the correct brake hardware? What master cylinder should be used with a 12" disc brake conversion? What is the proper proportioning valve for a front disc conversion with 12" brakes? And finally, if I am ordering new brake lines for my 1966 El Camino, what modifications to the original lines should I ask for?
post #18 of 76 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 07, 6:13 AM

Question Re: Disc Brake Conversion basics

Hello

I am Rainer from Hamburg, which is in the North of Germany. I am owning my 68" El Camino now for 16 years and decided last year to do a frame off resto. The low Dollar helps a lot. Everything is going well till now.
I like to improve the front brake system and also to install 2" Drop spindles.
I spend hours/days looking for the right stuff in the internet. Most of the things are not what I am expecting. Cheap small rotors, one piston calipers with lookalike homemade brackets and spindles which I have to modify to fit the right caliper. I am looking for very good solution with all parts included and Plug and Play installation. Now I found the Kits BKD36BLK and BKD44BLK at Year One. Does anybody has experience with these parts. Has somebody another perfect recommendation?

Have a lot Fahrvergnügen

Rainer

post #19 of 76 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 08, 12:21 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Bilster, Global west's website has all the information you need for a 12" conversion. They want around $1200 for the brake kit to go in their $700 upper A-arms. You can source the brake parts and better ones yourself for much less. The only thing I bought from them was the outer tie rods, upper and lower ball joints, and assembled upper A-arms with offset shafts, a few years back the whole kit was only $600. I then bought a set of 94 Impala spindles ( $80 @ junk yard), Cross drilled 12" 1LE rotors from summit (leave the 12mm 1.5 studs and get the matching lugs if you do rear discs you will need longer studs any way and you can just order those in metric so that they all match) ($220), mid 80's rebuilt Camaro calipers from Knect's ($100), and Power Stop pads ($50). Brakes hoses from a second gen Camaro will work for the front (Global West has braided stainless for the same price or a little cheaper than quality OEM replacements both sides for $83). Of course new bearings, seals, lower A-arm bushings, inner tie rods (stock Chevelle) and however far you want to go with rebuilding the suspension. As for hard lines your stockers will work ( I ordered stainless steel ones through Ausley's Chevelle...their service sucked and they sent the wrong lines, but when I got the right ones they fit beautifully. I used a Corvette master , because I went with the 00' Camaro SS rear discs ( very nice inexpensive rear disc w/internal parking brake conversion I have about $300 total into it and I can get replacement parts at a local parts store...same with the front brake parts and through the wheels it all looks OEM!) Global West can tell you exactly which one to use with disc/drum, been a while and I can't remember. If you do order new hard lines I would look into having them cut the rear main mainline right next to the master cylinder 9/16" 18 thread fitting and put a 3/8" 24 flare fitting on both sides of the cut. Then you could run a Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve and buy readily available adapters to go from Wilwoods ($40-50) 1/8 NPT to the 3/8 24 flare and locate it where it is easy to access for adjustment instead of right before the rear axle...where mine ended up. The adapters to put it in front of the 9/16 18 fittings are not available and that stainless line is damn near impossible to flare at home. So far this is what I have come up with and it all seems to fit up nice. I am sure I left something out, but it ends of being a 12" front and rear (you could leave out the rear) disc tall spindle conversion that comes out a lot cheaper than buying plug and play kits if $$$ is your concern and you are willing to spend the time tracking parts down. Hope this helps some one out!

'70 Chevelle resto mod...moving backwards...again
'65 Chevelle SS Glacier Grey Convertible

Last edited by crookedbowtie; Jan 5th, 08 at 12:29 PM. Reason: forgot something
post #20 of 76 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 08, 1:24 AM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

I am considering when I rebuild the front end on my 66 chevelle,converting it to disk brakes.I have the complete front and rear disk brakes from a 2002 Z-28,including the master cylinder,that would have been installed on an 86 Trans Am,that is until a truck turned in front of the Trans Am and took out the entire drivers side of the car.I know what I had to do to install this on the TA,but I'm not sure if this will work for my Chevelle.I still have the TA for parts if any of this can be used.Has any one done this using these parts.
post #21 of 76 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 08, 9:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

The rear backing plates will bolt right up to your 12 or 10 bolt axle - not sure the year of your axle. 67 and older will have a clearance problem with the parking brake lever - but easily fixed. You will use the rotors, backing plates, & calipers directly. I'm not too sure on the front stuff becaus I use C5 rotors and calipers. I think it's adaptable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 76 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 08, 12:46 AM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

The car is a 66 SS396 4-speed 12 Bolt. I thank you for your reply. I gather from what I have read that the front spindels can be modified to work,so I will probably buy a set from OPG to use rather than modify the originals.I can have brackets made to mount the calipers so thats not a problem.I didnt know the rears would be that easy. Thanks for the info.
post #23 of 76 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 08, 8:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Here's a solution for the rear parking brake lever.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215679

post #24 of 76 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 08, 9:49 AM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

Thanks very much for the link. I'm glad I can use all this stuff.
Jacksonk727 likes this.
post #25 of 76 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 08, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Quote:
Originally Posted by langss View Post
The car is a 66 SS396 4-speed 12 Bolt. I thank you for your reply. I gather from what I have read that the front spindels can be modified to work,so I will probably buy a set from OPG to use rather than modify the originals.I can have brackets made to mount the calipers so thats not a problem.I didnt know the rears would be that easy. Thanks for the info.
I'd rather modify and re-use the originals than trust reproduction spindles... the repros (made in China) are known to be too soft of metal which leads to egg-shaped balljoint tapers and broken balljoints.

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's

-
post #26 of 76 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 08, 5:09 PM
Tech Team
russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek69SS View Post
I'd rather modify and re-use the originals than trust reproduction spindles... the repros (made in China) are known to be too soft of metal which leads to egg-shaped balljoint tapers and broken balljoints.
theres nothing made here
post #27 of 76 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 08, 12:43 AM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

The reason I dont want to modify the original parts,this car is pretty much all original and numbers matching,and I want to keep everything that came with it.If I ever sell it I figure whoever buys it might want to put it back to its original state.Its a rusty "Michigan" car,but its getting repaired and fixed as I go along.
I was unaware that the parts were offshore but what choice do I have.Thanks for the information.
post #28 of 76 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 08, 12:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

To add some information here, If someone that wants to upgrade to a stock disc brake system from drums, and retain their original 14" steel wheels, you can use G body steel rims. Stock drum brake Chevelle rims will not clear stock 69-72 disc brakes. The G Body rims fit the stock 69-72 disc brakes, are 14 x 6, have the 4.75" bolt circle, and has provisions to attach the dog dish hubcaps.
Tig Welder likes this.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

Best ET: [email protected] MPH

post #29 of 76 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 08, 10:05 PM
Tech Team
David

Garage
Send a message via AIM to turbopowered68 Send a message via Yahoo to turbopowered68

Can some one explain what “bump steer” is?
But please explain it like you are talking to a 4 year old.
OR if you have a link please post it up.
Thanks

1968 Chevelle Twin Turbo, LQ4, 4L80 coming soon
1987 Buick GN Bone stock
1986 GN T-Top - 200-4R Transmission built by David Husek AKA
1-516-285-1103
1968 Convertible chevelle work in progress
1963 Impala 350 Throttle Body injection.
2001 Ninja ZX-7R

Last edited by turbopowered68; Jul 22nd, 08 at 10:52 PM.
post #30 of 76 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 08, 11:32 AM

Derek,

How about the steering arms? Are they all interchangable with the available spindles or do I have to get arms for that specific application.
There are new spindle/caliper bracket/backing plate packages all over the internet but none of them come with steering arms.
I compared steering arms on ebay from different cars (chevelle, nova, camaro) and they look slightly different.
Thanks,
Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in