Think I got a crappy job done on a weld in rear coil over setup. - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 18, 6:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Re: Think I got a crappy job done on a weld in rear coil over setup.

that kinda thing needs to be plotted, to fit and work properly.

78 Malibu, 402, eddy heads, 174 B&M blower, th350, holley sniper EFI, 9" 3:70, 26X8.50-15 slicks.
69 VW baja 1679cc. stick shift toy.
96 chevy 1500, tow vehicle.
03 yz85 fun bike.
04 scion XB daily driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 18, 6:54 PM
Team Member
Mike

You mentioned Alston Chassisworks & Sacramento. Im in Sacramento and I installed the Alston rear coilover kit and rear bar about 20K miles ago on my 65. No problems so far. Parts look well made and the kit was easy to install. Plenty of range for adjustment in height, spring rate, preload, anti-roll, etc. I got the 2-Way adjustable shocks, so theres those combinations to play with too. I think Ive got it all dialed in now for street use.
71350SS and ChevJerico like this.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 18, 8:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMalibu View Post
You mentioned Alston Chassisworks & Sacramento. Im in Sacramento and I installed the Alston rear coilover kit and rear bar about 20K miles ago on my 65. No problems so far. Parts look well made and the kit was easy to install. Plenty of range for adjustment in height, spring rate, preload, anti-roll, etc. I got the 2-Way adjustable shocks, so theres those combinations to play with too. I think Ive got it all dialed in now for street use.
Dang Mike, I guess we are neighbors. So did you do the weld in kit? Have any pics? How close is your upper shock mount bar to the diff?

1970 Chevelle, 400, UD Harold solid, 5.565 rod, standard bore, vortec heads, Jerico DR4, best ET 11.85, 113 MPH

1961 Buick Lesabre convertible, bone stock cruiser

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 18, 8:56 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevJerico View Post
The cross bar the upper shock are mounted, is basically sitting on top of the rearend mounting ears. I heard it banging on the way home yesterday. I'd say about an 1/8" gap tops. Also the lower mount is welded at an angle allowing moving up one hole only to give me maybe a 1/2 total clearance between bar and upper ears of rearend. It does look tight in there so I'm not sure what they could of done better except for maybe a better lower bracket design. Any thought s?
Wow, that is pretty awful.
Saltherring likes this.

1967 Chevelle Malibu 4 door

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

8.02 at 171mph:

post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 18, 10:53 PM
Super Mod
Bob

Here's a link to the Global west kit shown on a bare frame. It's a bolt in but your welded crossmember should look similar and this video gives you a good view of what it should look like and the shock angles.

1969 SS396 Convertible

post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 18, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Tiley View Post
Here's a link to the Global west kit shown on a bare frame. It's a bolt in but your welded crossmember should look similar and this video gives you a good view of what it should look like and the shock angles.

Good Information About Rear Coilover Kits For 1964-72 A-bodies - YouTube
Thanks, yea I seen that video. A bolt in kit, and the bar is profiled around the diff which is interesting. Unlike the weld in kits. I'm still hoping to see an install of a proper weld in style kit.

1970 Chevelle, 400, UD Harold solid, 5.565 rod, standard bore, vortec heads, Jerico DR4, best ET 11.85, 113 MPH

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 18, 12:19 AM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

im doing one for a guy on here. he ordered really nice brackets from chassis works that double as the lower arm mount with adjustable shock mounts. very nice set up
ChevJerico likes this.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 18, 8:19 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnicholson View Post
im doing one for a guy on here. he ordered really nice brackets from chassis works that double as the lower arm mount with adjustable shock mounts. very nice set up
Can you post a part number or link? I didn't see those on Alston's website. Also I'd love to see a pic of where you mount the upper cross bar.

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 18, 9:17 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:

Are these the ones?

Chris Alston's Chassisworks, Inc.; - Chevelle 64-72 (GM A-Body) - Rear Coil-Over Conversion

https://www.cachassisworks.com/p-149...s-package.aspx

This is the data sheet for the weld in and bolt in kit for A body. You're right! Nice piece! Think I'm going to drive over there today and check it out.

https://www.cachassisworks.com/Attac...XXX_DS_WEB.pdf

Last edited by ChevJerico; Oct 31st, 18 at 9:38 AM.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 18, 11:39 AM
Team Member
Mike

The Alston kit is designed to bolt to existing brackets on a Chevelle rear axle. If your axle is not stock, then their weld-in kit may be necessary. Their resulting shock angle is very close to stock. Keep in mind that the upper cross bar sold by vendors limits space for routing the exhaust. The pipes loop over the axle in the same space.

Mike

post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 18, 2:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

Quote:
Are these the ones?

Chris Alston's Chassisworks, Inc.; - Chevelle 64-72 (GM A-Body) - Rear Coil-Over Conversion

This is the data sheet for the weld in and bolt in kit for A body. You're right! Nice piece! Think I'm going to drive over there today and check it out.

those look like nice pieces too but the ones i have are strictly weld on . I couldn't find them alone but they look just like the ones on their complete aftermarket housings.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 18, 2:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Quote:
Are these the ones?

those look like nice pieces too but the ones i have are strictly weld on . I couldn't find them alone but they look just like the ones on their complete aftermarket housings.
The last link is a .pdf file for bolt in and weld in kits. You have to scroll down for the weld in pics.

post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 18, 8:08 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

If I ever go with a Rear Coil Over Kit it will be from UMI Perf
1964-1972 GM A-Body Rear Coilover Kit, Control Arm Relocation, Bolt In
1964-1972 GM A-Body Rear Coilover Kit, Control Arm Relocation, Bolt In [4057-XXX] - $849.99 : UMI Performance, Inc.

See Pics at bottom of Part page
everyting is Engineered to fit properly with the right Angles etc.

This is also need for the Top mount part
1968-1972 GM A-Body Rear Shock Tower Brace, Bolt In
1968-1972 GM A-Body Rear Shock Tower Brace, Bolt In [4058] - $129.99 : UMI Performance, Inc.

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 18, 7:15 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

What Greg said.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 18, 8:47 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk's67SS View Post
If I ever go with a Rear Coil Over Kit it will be from UMI Perf
1964-1972 GM A-Body Rear Coilover Kit, Control Arm Relocation, Bolt In
1964-1972 GM A-Body Rear Coilover Kit, Control Arm Relocation, Bolt In [4057-XXX] - $849.99 : UMI Performance, Inc.

See Pics at bottom of Part page
everyting is Engineered to fit properly with the right Angles etc.

This is also need for the Top mount part
1968-1972 GM A-Body Rear Shock Tower Brace, Bolt In
1968-1972 GM A-Body Rear Shock Tower Brace, Bolt In [4058] - $129.99 : UMI Performance, Inc.

Wish I did now, I have all UMI control arms and anti-roll bar. Don't know why I didn't.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 385 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.