Front Brakes / Suspension Upgrade - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By yanniziomas
  • 2 Post By Tommy the Cat

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 18, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Lightbulb Front Brakes / Suspension Upgrade

I'm getting ready to upgrade my 65 with front disc brakes. I figured since I was going to do that, I am going to ahead and install front coil overs.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on other things I should probably go ahead and replace / rebuild since I'm going to have that stuff apart and out of the way? Everything looks close to original. I have never worked on brakes before but there is only one way to learn.

Any help would be appreciated. Trying to stay within budget so I know a complete front end upgrade with control arms etc would be nice but I am trying to locate those $40 or less parts that are only worth replacing if you have to or you are working in that area doing something else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0221.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	577440  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 18, 11:18 AM
Tech Team

Steering components would be a good idea, check for play etc. Same for bushings, ball joints.

I don’t know your plan and/or budget, but I would be spending $s elsewhere first than coil over shocks.
Clint44 likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 18, 12:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Re: Front Brakes / Suspension Upgrade

Agreed. Forget coilovers if you're on a budget. Coilovers have their place but the majority of builds are probably better off with regular springs and shocks.
Clint44 and -SS454- like this.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 18, 4:50 AM
Senior Tech Team
Geoff

Agree with others. Coil overs fix something that ain't broke...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 18, 2:04 PM
Tech Team
Joe

Garage

There seems to be what I would call "coilover hype"....every car built on a tv show gets them. Many like the height adjustment but that is limited by shock travel.

From what I have read, good ride quality (street) suspension needs good: shocks, springs, sway bar, and bushings. I opted for a suspension package without coilovers.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 18, 3:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Joe,

What package did you go with? Has anyone changed out their steering box? Mine has a lot of play in it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 18, 4:07 PM
Tech Team
Joe

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMoore65 View Post
Joe,

What package did you go with? Has anyone changed out their steering box? Mine has a lot of play in it.
I went with the equivalent of this one:
RideTech StreetGrip Suspension Systems 11245010

I say equivalent because I bought this package for my 1967 camaro. If you like that system, I recommend calling Matts Classic Bowties as he quoted me the best price.

Another benefit of buying a package is that the components have usually been tested and optimized to work together.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 18, 7:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Call Marc at SC&C.. I have there Stage three system with a Lee 14:1 its fantastic! It comes with Howe ball joints. After a turn, the steering wheel snaps back to center like a manual..
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 18, 12:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMoore65 View Post
Joe,

I put an AGR box from Summit on my Ď68. It was listed at $545, but I waited for one of the many $50.00-off deals that Summit runs and bought it for $495. I replaced my A-arms with Global West Suspension arms and all of the steering components with Moog stock replacements. I stayed with stock springs and KYB Gas-Adjust (stock type) shocks.

Without a doubt, the steering box made the driving experience great. Tighter turning and higher effort so it feels more modern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 478 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.