upper control arm bushings different size ? - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 18, 6:58 PM Thread Starter
rob

upper control arm bushings different size ?

rebuilding dads 68 ss convertible, and am in the process of changing the front bushings. pressed out the uppers, and when i went to install the new ones, the rear on the drivers side upper is loose in the hole. measuring the new ones OD- i get 1.279. the original rear measures 1.295 OD. is this normal? i can't find any info on an oversize bushing. i also haven't taken the other side apart yet. if the hole has enlarged? can it be pressed back down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 18, 11:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Re: upper control arm bushings different size ?

Never seen that. I’m guessing you need a new arm. I wish I wouldn’t have thrown all four off of my ‘68 in the trash last week or I’d send them your way. I bet you can find some take-offs here that others have collecting dust.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 18, 7:51 AM
Tech Team
Rick

Moog has their "Problem Solver" line of oversize bushing and suspension products. See if they have something that might work.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 18, 9:10 AM Thread Starter
rob

will look at the moog website, see what i can find. thx. was thinking about new control arms, but i measured the bushing i took out, so they had to be available somewhere-sometime.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 18, 10:18 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

First:
WHY is it oversize? What caused this condition? Were the wrong bushings installed at sometime? Are the bushing holes worn or pushed out of shape? Any small fractures? Glen Leaver in N.Y. is very good at rebuilding upper and lower control arms. He did mine. Glen can answer a lot of questions.
I would make dang sure the control arms are in excellent condition before you use them. Glen Leaver-585-704-3345
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 18, 3:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Harold

if I remember correctly, my 66 could have had 2 different size bushings , but in the lower only ??. Maybe your control arms were changed, if they will interchange.
Maybe Moog has a "buyers guide" online . That will have specs

New paint -near complete
66 SS 396. now 427
4sp w/GV, AC,PS,3.31 Posi,ft disc,11" r drum
86 Buick Grand National
89 K25 Suburban that I bought new,is new again
And a bunch of other junk.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 18, 4:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveshaft-texas View Post
if I remember correctly, my 66 could have had 2 different size bushings , but in the lower only ??. Maybe your control arms were changed, if they will interchange.
Maybe Moog has a "buyers guide" online . That will have specs
I think you’re right about the lowers, but if I remember correctly, the difference is pretty huge. Like a half inch.

OP: I feel your pain. I started the same “new bushings” project on my ‘68 about a month ago. That turned into $2k in parts before I was finished. I do see that several vendors sell new upper control arms with bushings and ball joints already installed for about $150.00. Hopefully you can find a bushing to fit, but just in case....
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 18, 6:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

both front Upper bushings should be the same size.

I tossed like 3 pairs of stock upper control arms earlier this summer when I moved... I'm sure you can find a single one for super cheap from someone... I tossed them because if i ever need new ones again I'm getting aftermarket with better geometry... but thats just me.

Ben R.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 18, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
rob

after some more investigating, and talking with moog, the control arm had been beaten out when original bushing failed and was not changed right away. still unable to conclude what the bushing i took out was originally for, but it was about 0.015” bigger OD, and seemed to work well. i was able to hammer the hole down enough to hold new bushing, and tack welded bushing in.
a new arm is on the list of needs. thx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in