98-02 Camaro disc brake conv. - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 164 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 18, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

98-02 Camaro disc brake conv.

Anybody do a drum to disc brake conversion in a 1970 chevelle using 1998-2002 camaro/trans am brakes? If so how did it bolt up and was there alot to it? I am interested in this route, just curious who has done this. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 164 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 18, 12:59 PM
Tech Team
Mark

Garage
Re: 98-02 Camaro disc brake conv.

Not a whole lot to it. You need to either fabricate or purchase brackets for the calipers mount up to your spindles,and machine down the outer diameter of the hubs to fit inside of the Camaro rotors.You will also need longer wheel studs along with a set of Camaro brake hoses.If you search ls1 brake conversions,you will find all the info along with a video or two to help you along.You will need at least a 17 inch wheel to clear the new calipers.I have done this conversion on my 66 using the stock drum brake spindles, and would recommend this to anyone wishing to upgrade their brakes without breaking the bank. Pics in garage.
post #3 of 164 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 18, 2:09 PM
Tech Team
Alex

I'm pretty sure that a 16" rim will clear as I had LS1 brakes on a 97 TA that I had and 16" rims for the track. Don't see where there would be any difference from a 4th gen F Body and an A body for clearance. Also , you can clearance the calipers to clear 15" rims.

1969 Chevelle SS --- 468 FTI Level 4 TH400 AFR 290cc's
1997 S10 SS ---LQ9/4l65e

post #4 of 164 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 18, 1:10 AM Thread Starter

https://www.ebay.com/itm/C5-Corvette...NY5lDl&vxp=mtr

What about this? would this have everything i would need for a front drum to disc brake conv. in a 1970 chevelle?
post #5 of 164 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 18, 2:52 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Here you go :
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/16-b...-malibu-2.html
Scroll down to the # 16 post as some of the stuff before that might not be so helpful.The information that Phillip provides has some great conversion help that includes using 98-02 Camaro brakes.Not that hard to do either so HTH.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #6 of 164 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 18, 3:31 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

What John said.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #7 of 164 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 18, 9:45 AM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage

I did mine a little different but picked up some better handling also. I Got a 1975 or so Impala set up but only used the spindle and caliper part, have global west offset control arms and 1989 Transam 12 inch rotor. The Impala rotor will not work as they have a 5 inch bolt spacing. It does fit my 15 inch wheels but I do agree above that may be case by case and I think what also helps is I stuck with the old single piston caliper. One nice thing about taller spindles it changes the roll center so the tire has less of a tendency to suck under the car when going around a corner.
hydro462 likes this.
post #8 of 164 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 18, 3:13 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Lew, did you do anything about the substantially different length of the steering arm and the height of the outer tie-rod end?
hydro462 likes this.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #9 of 164 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 18, 4:07 PM
Senior Tech Team

The biggest challenge I had with the swap is the parking brake cables. Not the cable itself, but having compatible ends attached to the cable that connects the F body parking brake backing plates. Finally found someone at a local motorcycle shop to do it. But he bent me over. Charged me $70 for 5 mins of actual labor.

You will need to turn down your stock front hubs on a brake lathe so the F body rotors fit over them. Plus you might need to fabricate new rear brake lines on the axle for rear hoses. I ran new lines on my entire project, so I'm unsure if I could've adapted the existing '67 hard lines.

Other than that, the swap is 100% bolt on.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 164 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 18, 9:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jeremy

I did this upgrade on my '66 also installed a master cylinder off a '78 corvette, GM undermount proportioning valve and hydroboost. One of the best upgrades on the car. Stops straight and on a dime.
post #11 of 164 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 18, 12:50 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Lew??

post #12 of 164 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 4:08 PM
Tech Team

Reviving this thread.
I'm in the process of doing this upgrade on my 64, four drum to four disc brakes. I went to a salvage yard for the calipers. I bought brackets from flynbye for $85 including shipping. I still have a 283 but plan to do a LS engine swap in the future. I think the LS1 master cylinder has a 1-1/8" bore for all wheel disc.

Has anybody made the master cylinder and brake booster work in their chevelle??
Any modifications to the firewall?
post #13 of 164 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 4:41 PM
Senior Tech Team

I wouldn't bother with the F body booster. Too much work to make it fit. You can mount any master on a stock '64-'66 Chevelle booster. Or better yet, find yourself a hydroboost out of a wrecked Chevy truck. That's what I did.

The Camaro master can be used but the lines come out from the engine side. I used a master from a 2006 Trailblazer SS.
OLDED likes this.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

post #14 of 164 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 2:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelco View Post
Has anybody made the master cylinder and brake booster work in their chevelle??
Any modifications to the firewall?
My master cylinder and 11" booster was from Right Stuff. It was intended for a disc/drum setup and had a proportioning valve (PV2) attached beside the MC.

I exchanged that PV2 valve with a PV4 which is for 4 wheel discs.

I was told that's all I need to do. It will be a while before I can road test it.
B52bombardier1 likes this.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #15 of 164 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 8:42 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Before doing all this work try using Porterfield brake pads and shoes.. They made a big difference to the stock disc/drum braking system on my 69 el Camino..

Last edited by hydro462; Jul 21st, 19 at 9:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in