98-02 Camaro disc brake conv. - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 71 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 4:34 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: 98-02 Camaro disc brake conv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville beth View Post
I didn't have much trouble lengthening the rod.

Shouldn't the brake pedal rest against the rubber stop on the support - just below the switch? I don't think you want the pedal "floating in the breeze"; there is a spring that helps hold it against the support.
The spring is only used for manual brake cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville beth View Post
Hey Pete,

Do you remember what caliper hoses you used on the front brakes ?

I have stock 2000 Camaro hoses and they don't look like they will work.
You're correct, the stock F body front hoses won't work. I used a set of universal hoses from Russell. They had SAE flare ports on one side & banjo fittings on the other. I believe this is them..

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-657330/overview/

64 2 door Wagon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 2 Door Post Sold 11/21/17
LS1 T56

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 SS Tribute Sold

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 71 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 5:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete 67 View Post
The spring is only used for manual brake cars.

You're correct, the stock F body front hoses won't work. I used a set of universal hoses from Russell. They had SAE flare ports on one side & banjo fittings on the other. I believe this is them..

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-657330/overview/
After searching, I found that Phillip used 77 Camaro hoses. I think they are extra long ; ~ 15". The 2000 Camaro hoses are only 11".

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/56-...k-discs-2.html

Do you think I adjusted the rod correctly ? With the pedal resting on the rubber support, the rod starts to move after about 1/16" travel.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, 12 bolt, Marina Blue with black interior
post #33 of 71 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 11:26 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Thanks for the compliment. I am very patient when I want something a certain way, & I can also be very frugal, so I do a ton of research before doing anything.

Here's something similar to the hose I used....

https://www.jegs.com/i/Vibrant-Perfo...11986/10002/-1

Although you'll need hose rated for 3000 PSI. I'll try to find the receipt for the hose I used.

I used the stock LS1 F body PS pump with the attached plastic reservoir & modified the stock pressure hose to accept the black braided hose. The pressure hose from the pump has a crazy bent end with a 3/8" flare fitting that needs to be utilized, so I actually took it to a local hose shop with a length of braided hose & had them crimp the ends on it for me.

Come to think of it, the hose shop crimped the ends of both pressure hoses with standard AN fitting they had in stock. The return hose I made with fittings I picked up from Tallon Hydraulics. I think it cost me around $200 all in for the 3 hoses. I didn't use an inline filter, but it couldn't hurt.

I ran a Jeep GC steering gear, so I used a fitting like this one for one of the pressure hoses to connect to the box....

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...CABEgKMgPD_BwE

The fitting for the return port of the hydroboost is similar. I bought both of them from Tallon.

The proportioning valve was the standard brass block version from Right Stuff, etc for Disc/Disc cars. It's the same made in china piece all the vendors sell. An adjustable one isn't needed, IMO.
I went to the salvage yard today and got the hydrobooster (HB) from a '98 Astro Van and a master cylinder (MC) from a Trailblazer. I had to hire someone else to do it since I didn't have any tools with me.
For anyone reading you can get a hydro-booster from an Chevy Astro Van, GMC Vandura 2500 or 3500 chevy diesel truck, ~$45 versus $250 at an autoparts store.

I image there's some sort of gasket between the HB and the MC. Is that right?
Isn't there supposed to be a c-clip of some sort at the back of the HB?
Is there any advantage to the 3500 chevy diesel HB compared to the Astro van for this application?

post #34 of 71 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 19, 4:51 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Beth,

"But curious why a booster/master cylinder that I bought specifically for a 67 Chevelle from "Right Stuff" would have an incorrect length rod ?"

There's a reason it's often referred to as Wrong Stuff.

Chassis nuts are available at HD.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #35 of 71 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 19, 1:46 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelco View Post
I went to the salvage yard today and got the hydrobooster (HB) from a '98 Astro Van and a master cylinder (MC) from a Trailblazer. I had to hire someone else to do it since I didn't have any tools with me.
For anyone reading you can get a hydro-booster from an Chevy Astro Van, GMC Vandura 2500 or 3500 chevy diesel truck, ~$45 versus $250 at an autoparts store.

I image there's some sort of gasket between the HB and the MC. Is that right?
Isn't there supposed to be a c-clip of some sort at the back of the HB?
Is there any advantage to the 3500 chevy diesel HB compared to the Astro van for this application?

There is no gasket between the HB & the master cylinder. The end of the rod on the HB needs to be cut off & the proper U shaped connector to for the Chevelle pedal needs to be fitted on the end. The rod will need to be extended first to reach the pedal.

Any HB will work just fine. What are you going to use for the firewall mount?

64 2 door Wagon

LS1 T56

67 SS Tribute Sold

post #36 of 71 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 19, 10:56 PM
Tech Team

Good to know. What did you use to extend and connect the U shaped rod on the cut one?
I haven’t decided what I’m going to do for the firewall mount.
post #37 of 71 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 19, 11:04 PM
Tech Team

Hey Beth or anyone, what size line did you use to go from the MC to the front brakes?
From front to rear end 1/4” then T off to the rear wheels with 13/16”?
Could I use the 13/16” copper/nickel line throughout the whole thing?
post #38 of 71 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 19, 12:02 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Good to know. What did you use to extend and connect the U shaped rod on the cut one?
I haven’t decided what I’m going to do for the firewall mount.
I welded an extension to the HB rod. I most likely used the stock rod & U bracket from the '67 drum brake pedal set up.

Quote:
Hey Beth or anyone, what size line did you use to go from the MC to the front brakes?
3/16" is the tubing size for all the front lines. 13/16" would need an awful lot of brake fluid!

1/4" from the distribution block to the rear hose. Then 3/16" over the rear axles.

64 2 door Wagon

LS1 T56

67 SS Tribute Sold

post #39 of 71 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 19, 12:26 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
I welded an extension to the HB rod. I most likely used the stock rod & U bracket from the '67 drum brake pedal set up.

3/16" is the tubing size for all the front lines. 13/16" would need an awful lot of brake fluid!

1/4" from the distribution block to the rear hose. Then 3/16" over the rear axles.
Thanks for the clarification. And the distribution block is what holds the MC and proportioning valve? I'll have to go back to the salvage yard to see if I can use anything from the Trailblazer.
Do I remember correctly that one of you said this setup doesn't really need a proportioning valve?
post #40 of 71 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 19, 12:50 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. And the distribution block is what holds the MC and proportioning valve? I'll have to go back to the salvage yard to see if I can use anything from the Trailblazer.
Do I remember correctly that one of you said this setup doesn't really need a proportioning valve?

The stock distribution block is likely for drum/drum cars. If you're doing 4 wheel disc, you'll need a proportioning valve, but an adjustable one isn't required, IMO. Unless you're road racing the car & really need to fine tune your brakes, you'll be fine with one of those brass combo valves that are all over the web...

https://www.ebay.com/i/282198377212?...CABEgLWLvD_BwE

The Trailblazer likely has ABS & won't have anything remotely close to a combo valve that will be useful. Did you confirm the car you removed the master cylinder from had 4 wheel discs? That's critical.

64 2 door Wagon

LS1 T56

67 SS Tribute Sold

post #41 of 71 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 19, 1:49 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
The stock distribution block is likely for drum/drum cars. If you're doing 4 wheel disc, you'll need a proportioning valve, but an adjustable one isn't required, IMO. Unless you're road racing the car & really need to fine tune your brakes, you'll be fine with one of those brass combo valves that are all over the web...

https://www.ebay.com/i/282198377212?...CABEgLWLvD_BwE

The Trailblazer likely has ABS & won't have anything remotely close to a combo valve that will be useful. Did you confirm the car you removed the master cylinder from had 4 wheel discs? That's critical.
What distribution block did you use?
I forgot to check if the Trailblazer had 4 wheel disc brakes. Maybe if I call Chevy they'd be able to tell me from the VIN 1GNES16P336245510 otherwise I guess I'll have to go back. I might go back anyway for LS1 rear brake hoses and e-brake cable.
post #42 of 71 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 19, 10:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Quote:
My car came with 3/16" lines from MC to both front wheels; 1/4" line from MC to rear end then branched out with 3/16" lines.

I have a disc/disc proportioning valve next to my MC. 3/16" lines connect the MC to the PV. Then the brake lines are as described.

Just finished them today :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5751.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	599076  
ZZ69chevelle likes this.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, 12 bolt, Marina Blue with black interior
post #43 of 71 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 19, 10:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
Beth,

"But curious why a booster/master cylinder that I bought specifically for a 67 Chevelle from "Right Stuff" would have an incorrect length rod ?"

There's a reason it's often referred to as Wrong Stuff.

post #44 of 71 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 19, 2:26 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
What distribution block did you use?
I forgot to check if the Trailblazer had 4 wheel disc brakes. Maybe if I call Chevy they'd be able to tell me from the VIN 1GNES16P336245510 otherwise I guess I'll have to go back. I might go back anyway for LS1 rear brake hoses and e-brake cable.

I used the block/combo valve similar to the one in the link I posted.

64 2 door Wagon

LS1 T56

67 SS Tribute Sold

post #45 of 71 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 19, 12:24 AM
Administrator

Garage

Looks good Beth

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in