98-02 Camaro disc brake conv. - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 164 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 9:56 AM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage
Re: 98-02 Camaro disc brake conv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
Lew, did you do anything about the substantially different length of the steering arm and the height of the outer tie-rod end?
Actually the height of the tie rod end (by spindle) did not seem to move much and the arm being a little further out the drag link and the ball joint movement seemed to have picked up the slack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 164 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 5:23 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete 67 View Post
I wouldn't bother with the F body booster. Too much work to make it fit. You can mount any master on a stock '64-'66 Chevelle booster. Or better yet, find yourself a hydroboost out of a wrecked Chevy truck. That's what I did.

The Camaro master can be used but the lines come out from the engine side. I used a master from a 2006 Trailblazer SS.
Thanks for the suggestion Pete. I recently installed power steering with a Saginaw P series pump and 800 series gear box. I'll have to do more research about using a hydro boost but I like the idea of having more space under the hood. The problem with trying to customize, save money and not buy a kit, is not knowing how everything will fit. If I knew what parts were compatible it would be easier to pull parts from a salvage yard, rock auto or ebay.

I don't want my brake pedal super sensitive. How sensitive are you brakes?
If I go with hydroboost won't I have to get a power steering cooler?
I understand that a 1" bore size in the master cylinder (MC) may provide better pressure than 1-1/8" but with hydro boost does it not matter?
What proportioning valve did you use?

I imagine I could probably make a ford MC work. I've read that people use hydro boosters from Mustangs and GM Astro vans as well.
post #18 of 164 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 6:47 PM
Tech Team
Rick

The Right Stuff front disk upgrade kit was very easy on my 70 El Camino. Somebody else has already done the hard part of solving if it all will fit and they did it at a reasonable price. And it performs well.

Why go through the agony of doing it some other way?

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission

post #19 of 164 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 9:22 PM
Tech Team

Good option for some. I've already obtained front/rear brake calipers, front conversion brackets, backing plates, rotors and pads for about $300. This way I can do it for less than half the cost and learn a lot more in the process. Many people online have done LS1 brake conversions.
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/16-...-malibu-2.html
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/16-...nts-not-2.html

An old neighbor steered me in this direction. Now I just need to get the right master cylinder, booster and brake lines.

Last edited by jelco; Jul 21st, 19 at 9:44 PM. Reason: adding link
post #20 of 164 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 7:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelco View Post
An old neighbor steered me in this direction. Now I just need to get the right master cylinder, booster and brake lines.
For the brake lines, I would use nicopp lines which won't corrode and are easy to bend. Get a 25' roll of 3/16" and 1/4".

I'm finishing up a total conversion to LS1 brakes and need to ask a question about hooking up the booster (figured you might have the same problem).

My car was 4 wheel drum brakes, non-power assist.

So I've read the power booster rod that connects to the brake pedal should connect to the lower hole (there are two holes in the brake pedal).

There is a bracket that connects the rod to the pedal and I have it set at it's longest possible length and it's about 3/8" too short to reach the pedal hole when it's sitting in the retracted position ?

Do I need to lengthen the rod with a coupling ?

My booster is from Right Stuff (11").
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5726.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	598864  

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #21 of 164 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 9:12 PM
Tech Team

Thanks for chiming in, I'll probably have the same issue. Nice looking 67 convertible. I was planning on getting the nickel-copper line with the flare tool.
Looks like summit sells a Brake Pedal Rod Extension Kit, SUM-760125.
post #22 of 164 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 11:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
Thanks for chiming in, I'll probably have the same issue. Nice looking 67 convertible. I was planning on getting the nickel-copper line with the flare tool.
Looks like summit sells a Brake Pedal Rod Extension Kit, SUM-760125.
I got the parts at home depot to extend the rod.

But curious why a booster/master cylinder that I bought specifically for a 67 Chevelle from "Right Stuff" would have an incorrect length rod ?

The flaring tool I bought is awesome, but it only does 3/16" line. Can't find one like it to do 1/4" ?

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #23 of 164 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 11:46 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion Pete. I recently installed power steering with a Saginaw P series pump and 800 series gear box. I'll have to do more research about using a hydro boost but I like the idea of having more space under the hood. The problem with trying to customize, save money and not buy a kit, is not knowing how everything will fit. If I knew what parts were compatible it would be easier to pull parts from a salvage yard, rock auto or ebay.

I don't want my brake pedal super sensitive. How sensitive are you brakes?
If I go with hydroboost won't I have to get a power steering cooler?
I understand that a 1" bore size in the master cylinder (MC) may provide better pressure than 1-1/8" but with hydro boost does it not matter?

I imagine I could probably make a ford MC work. I've read that people use hydro boosters from Mustangs and GM Astro vans as well.

I'm not a fan of getting overcharged for a kit that I can put together cheaper myself, so I sourced everything for my hydroboost. The only specialty part I needed was the custom aluminum firewall bracket. I liked the looks of it & the convenience, but if you're frugal & asthetics aren't important to you, then you can retrofit an original GM truck bracket.

I made my own hoses with high pressure braided hose & various fittings that are easily found. But again, you could probably find some stock truck hoses and make them fit. There's plenty of diagrams on the web that shows each pressure hose & the correct set up. The return hose is self explanatory.

As far as performance goes, the brakes worked awesome. My '67 with the 4 wheel F body discs & the hydroboost would stop on a dime & leave two nickels. The pedal wasn't sensitive, but it was extremely responsive. The pedal feel is quite different than a vacuum booster. The master cylinder from the Trailblazer SS worked perfectly...the pressure was firm enough but not stiff. I believe the master bore was 1 1/8", plus the line fittings accept traditional SAE double flares. If I build another protouring car, I would use the exact same brake system.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #24 of 164 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 11:49 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville beth View Post
I got the parts at home depot to extend the rod.

But curious why a booster/master cylinder that I bought specifically for a 67 Chevelle from "Right Stuff" would have an incorrect length rod ?

The flaring tool I bought is awesome, but it only does 3/16" line. Can't find one like it to do 1/4" ?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...llesconvert-20
Yeah that's weird that it wasn't long enough. What do you use the 1/4" line for?
post #25 of 164 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 12:17 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete 67 View Post
I'm not a fan of getting overcharged for a kit that I can put together cheaper myself, so I sourced everything for my hydroboost. The only specialty part I needed was the custom aluminum firewall bracket. I liked the looks of it & the convenience, but if you're frugal & asthetics aren't important to you, then you can retrofit an original GM truck bracket.

I made my own hoses with high pressure braided hose & various fittings that are easily found. But again, you could probably find some stock truck hoses and make them fit. There's plenty of diagrams on the web that shows each pressure hose & the correct set up. The return hose is self explanatory.

As far as performance goes, the brakes worked awesome. My '67 with the 4 wheel F body discs & the hydroboost would stop on a dime & leave two nickels. The pedal wasn't sensitive, but it was extremely responsive. The pedal feel is quite different than a vacuum booster. The master cylinder from the Trailblazer SS worked perfectly...the pressure was firm enough but not stiff. I believe the master bore was 1 1/8", plus the line fittings accept traditional SAE double flares. If I build another protouring car, I would use the exact same brake system.
The 67 with the LS1 looks immaculate. I hope I can find a good LS1 engine for a fair price. Sounds like you've got skills the rest of us would envy. I think the hoses and fittings are difficult to find and get right for cheap. I went to a Parker Store for power steering hoses and fittings and ended up paying $90. It was more than I expected for hoses/fittings.

Did you use an in-line filter in the return line? PSC has a 35 micron filter in their kit.
Did you use a remote reservoir? My current saginaw P series pump has a ~0.5L reservoir capacity. The PSC reservoir is 1.3L and I believe the larger capacity makes a power steering fluid cooler unnecessary. I don't know if I have a good place to mount a remote reservoir.

Thanks.
post #26 of 164 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 1:26 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
The 67 with the LS1 looks immaculate. I hope I can find a good LS1 engine for a fair price. Sounds like you've got skills the rest of us would envy. I think the hoses and fittings are difficult to find and get right for cheap. I went to a Parker Store for power steering hoses and fittings and ended up paying $90. It was more than I expected for hoses/fittings.

Did you use an in-line filter in the return line? PSC has a 35 micron filter in their kit.
Did you use a remote reservoir? My current saginaw P series pump has a ~0.5L reservoir capacity. The PSC reservoir is 1.3L and I believe the larger capacity makes a power steering fluid cooler unnecessary. I don't know if I have a good place to mount a remote reservoir.

Thanks.
Thanks for the compliment. I am very patient when I want something a certain way, & I can also be very frugal, so I do a ton of research before doing anything.

Here's something similar to the hose I used....

https://www.jegs.com/i/Vibrant-Perfo...11986/10002/-1

Although you'll need hose rated for 3000 PSI. I'll try to find the receipt for the hose I used.

I used the stock LS1 F body PS pump with the attached plastic reservoir & modified the stock pressure hose to accept the black braided hose. The pressure hose from the pump has a crazy bent end with a 3/8" flare fitting that needs to be utilized, so I actually took it to a local hose shop with a length of braided hose & had them crimp the ends on it for me.

Come to think of it, the hose shop crimped the ends of both pressure hoses with standard AN fitting they had in stock. The return hose I made with fittings I picked up from Tallon Hydraulics. I think it cost me around $200 all in for the 3 hoses. I didn't use an inline filter, but it couldn't hurt.

I ran a Jeep GC steering gear, so I used a fitting like this one for one of the pressure hoses to connect to the box....

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...CABEgKMgPD_BwE

The fitting for the return port of the hydroboost is similar. I bought both of them from Tallon.

The proportioning valve was the standard brass block version from Right Stuff, etc for Disc/Disc cars. It's the same made in china piece all the vendors sell. An adjustable one isn't needed, IMO.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

post #27 of 164 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 1:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
Yeah that's weird that it wasn't long enough. What do you use the 1/4" line for?
The brake line for the rear brakes is 1/4" on my car; I think all Chevelles are the same ?

Mine was 4 wheel drum brakes but I think disc/drum also used the 1/4" line from front-to-back.

Once the 1/4" line reaches the flex hose that attaches to the top of the rear end, the junction block has two 3/16" lines to each wheel.

post #28 of 164 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 2:30 AM
Tech Team
Dave

I did a front drum to disc conversion on my 1972 El Camino.

I did not lengthen the rod. I did use the lower pedal arm hole and this resulted in a lower pedal (fine by me and somewhere I read that this is expected)- seems to be the same height as my 1972 Chevelle that came with OEM power front disc brakes.

The issue then is that the brake switch is no longer in contact with the brake pedal arm- where can I get a switch bracket for a power brake setup?

Dave
post #29 of 164 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 5:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by taved View Post
I did a front drum to disc conversion on my 1972 El Camino.

I did not lengthen the rod. I did use the lower pedal arm hole and this resulted in a lower pedal (fine by me and somewhere I read that this is expected)- seems to be the same height as my 1972 Chevelle that came with OEM power front disc brakes.

The issue then is that the brake switch is no longer in contact with the brake pedal arm- where can I get a switch bracket for a power brake setup?

Dave
I didn't have much trouble lengthening the rod.

Shouldn't the brake pedal rest against the rubber stop on the support - just below the switch? I don't think you want the pedal "floating in the breeze"; there is a spring that helps hold it against the support.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5728.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	598950  

post #30 of 164 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 5:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Hey Pete,

Do you remember what caliper hoses you used on the front brakes ?

I have stock 2000 Camaro hoses and they don't look like they will work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in