4 wheel disc recommendations - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 17, 8:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

4 wheel disc recommendations

As the title says I'm looking for recommendations for 4 wheel disc conversion. I have a hydro boost mc, not sure if I want to go that route, not very eye appealing, but not opposed to it. Will likely have Fatman 2" drop spindles, and running a 6.0L. Just looking for options.

64 Chevelle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

85 Monte Carlo SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 17, 8:27 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Re: 4 wheel disc recommendations

Initially, I decided to upgrade to front discs while keeping my rear drums. A few weeks ago I decided to just go the 4 wheel disc route. I chose Kore3 to supply my front and recently contacted Tobin about the rears. Iím using their C5 calipers and rotors.

Joe
hydro462 likes this.

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
Soon to be a 427 equipped Tahoe Turquoise head turner!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 17, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

What are your intentions? Street use? Road Racing? Looks? Cool factor?

I've been looking also and I'll probably go with a relatively inexpensive Kit retailed through Inline Tube (Inline Tube has the best price on my kit). The kit is assembled by MBM Brakes (MBM is wholesale only) using GM parts -- I figure if I have to replace a part the GM stuff will be easy to locate. Whereas, I'm looking at price and availability of parts (and e-brakes), there are other kits with drilled and slotted rotors, up graded Caliphers, etc.

Our You Tube Vids:

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 17, 12:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

I've been looking also, so this thread is of interest to me. In my case though, I want to keep 15" wheels and a parking brake. So it seems my options are limited.

To the OP - what parameters are you looking for? Wheels, parking brake, etc?

1972 Chevelle, 454, 2004r, 4.10
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 17, 1:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Michael, you might want to PM Philip, a member here who's done a 4 whl disc installation using all GM parts IIRC, I'm sure he'll be glad to fill you in, good luck!!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 17, 2:27 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifershammer View Post
I've been looking also, I want to keep 15" wheels and a parking brake.
This:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-77-GM-...53.m1438.l2649

Also available on their website. Drilled and Slotted Rotors are available as an upgrade.

Our You Tube Vids:

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 17, 3:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Saw that. But it says not for use with C-clip eliminators. I shoulda mentioned that for a 12 bolt, and I may also go with a Moser 9". Haven't decided yet.

Right now I am going with a rear end with 9.5" Factory GM drum brakes. Moser offers them with both 12 Bolt and 9".

So, won't work with a Moser 12 bolt with C-clip eliminators. Probably won't work with a 9" Moser either (even if it has the GM 9.5" drum brakes on it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
This:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-77-GM-...53.m1438.l2649

Also available on their website. Drilled and Slotted Rotors are available as an upgrade.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 2004r, 4.10
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 17, 7:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifershammer View Post
I've been looking also, so this thread is of interest to me. In my case though, I want to keep 15" wheels and a parking brake. So it seems my options are limited.

To the OP - what parameters are you looking for? Wheels, parking brake, etc?
Looking to go with 17 or 18" wheels with parking brake, I think my options are a little better.

64 Chevelle

85 Monte Carlo SS
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 17, 7:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
What are your intentions? Street use? Road Racing? Looks? Cool factor?

I've been looking also and I'll probably go with a relatively inexpensive Kit retailed through Inline Tube (Inline Tube has the best price on my kit). The kit is assembled by MBM Brakes (MBM is wholesale only) using GM parts -- I figure if I have to replace a part the GM stuff will be easy to locate. Whereas, I'm looking at price and availability of parts (and e-brakes), there are other kits with drilled and slotted rotors, up graded Caliphers, etc.
Thanks Bruce, I'll check them out, intentions are mainly street use but I do like to carve some of these south Missouri roads.

64 Chevelle

85 Monte Carlo SS
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 17, 8:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Garage

Thereís two reasons to go with anything bigger than stock sized GM style disc brakes. Track use and appearance/cool factor. For street driving, even spirited driving the stock style brakes stop on a dime, and give you change. Now if you will see any track time, thatís where bigger more powerful brakes will really shine. Then thereís the just because I can reason. Big Wilwoods or Baer brakes look bad ass, especially through some larger wheels with an open spoke design. But you have to really open your wallet for that.
NickeyChevelle and Pats70ss like this.

70 Chevelle, Vortecpro 496, TH400, Moser 12 bolt, custom Tom's Eaton posi, 3.73, UMI/Viking front suspension, PMT rear. Sniper efi, RobbMc PowerSurge.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 17, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Garage

I like the 98 - 02 F body brakes. They are basically a bolt on, 12" rotors, dual piston aluminum caliper front, single piston aluminum caliper rear and a shoe type parking brake set up in the rear rotor that is independent of the caliper that will actually hold the car in place unlike the GM look alike in the inline tube kit. The stock parking brake cable system can be used with only the rear cables needing a small modification.
I have installed the F body brakes front and rear on several cars including my 72 wagon, my 64 Nova and soon on my 63 Nova wagon. Also used the rear F body brakes on my 77 Nova. They are inexpensive, easy to install and parts can be purchased at any parts store.
My Chevelle wagon has a hydroboost from an 03 Chevy 1 ton and it will stop the car straight and quick with very little effort. One thing to keep in mind tires play a big role in brake performance, it is not just the brakes you need to upgrade. With good tires even the stock brakes will perform better.
OLDED and Kopfjaeger like this.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 17, 9:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
I like the 98 - 02 F body brakes. They are basically a bolt on, 12" rotors, dual piston aluminum caliper front, single piston aluminum caliper rear and a shoe type parking brake set up in the rear rotor that is independent of the caliper that will actually hold the car in place unlike the GM look alike in the inline tube kit. The stock parking brake cable system can be used with only the rear cables needing a small modification.
I have installed the F body brakes front and rear on several cars including my 72 wagon, my 64 Nova and soon on my 63 Nova wagon. Also used the rear F body brakes on my 77 Nova. They are inexpensive, easy to install and parts can be purchased at any parts store.
My Chevelle wagon has a hydroboost from an 03 Chevy 1 ton and it will stop the car straight and quick with very little effort. One thing to keep in mind tires play a big role in brake performance, it is not just the brakes you need to upgrade. With good tires even the stock brakes will perform better.
Thanks Philip, I'm pretty new at building a disc setup, with my only experience at replacing pads. Didn't mention that I'll be installing 2" Fatman tall drop spindles. Do you know if the 98 -02 F Body setup will work with these spindles? I assume that these are manufactured to accept most modern brake systems. Also did you source them from a local salvage or pick n pull?

64 Chevelle

85 Monte Carlo SS
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 17, 9:52 AM
Senior Tech Team

Philip, so they bolt on to the stock brackets, spindle etc?
Thought about 4w disc but after putting it together found it stopped great with the stock setup (once it was all new)
Would consider it if there was a truly cost effective way that didnt involve cobbling, new brake lines etc

Do they discs change the backspace need at all esp in the rear Im pretty tight on space as it is out back. (67)

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 17, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes64 View Post
Thanks Philip, I'm pretty new at building a disc setup, with my only experience at replacing pads. Didn't mention that I'll be installing 2" Fatman tall drop spindles. Do you know if the 98 -02 F Body setup will work with these spindles? I assume that these are manufactured to accept most modern brake systems. Also did you source them from a local salvage or pick n pull?
Not sure about the Fatman dropped spindles. I used stock GM spindles on all the conversion I have done. Front calipers purchased from NAPA, caliper mounting bracket from Church Boys Racing. Rear setup used from pull a part yard. A spacer is needed between the rear mounting flange and the rear brake assembly to align mounting bracket over the rotor, size varies from car to car. F body cables modified to attach to stock setup. Front uses the drum brake hubs machined down on the OD to fit inside the F body rotor. Shop charged me $20 to both hubs. Longer wheel studs required front and rear, nothing special NAPA stocks them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
Philip, so they bolt on to the stock brackets, spindle etc?
Thought about 4w disc but after putting it together found it stopped great with the stock setup (once it was all new)
Would consider it if there was a truly cost effective way that didnt involve cobbling, new brake lines etc

Do they discs change the backspace need at all esp in the rear Im pretty tight on space as it is out back. (67)
Uses the factory spindles, both drum and disc will work, disc spindles need a spacer at the top mount. CBR brackets include the spacer. Factory hard lines, factory front hoses and rear hose, F body rear hoses at the calipers. Rear track is wider the thickness of the rotor over the drum. 82 Corvette master cylinder will fit on the factory booster, combination valve of your choice for 4 wheel disc. I used an 82 Cadillac Eldorado valve. It was a bolt on in the stock location with the stock disc/drum hard lines.

I should probably do a thread on the install. Have plenty of photos.
LeoP, Proc and b&b's69 like this.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 17, 9:25 PM
T_R
Senior Tech Team
Tom

I have the 4 wheel power disc kit from right stuff detailing. Everything just bolts on and works fine. Unless you are building a road course race car or single digit et drag car, you won't need more than this. The kit is all stock replacement style parts.
70CHEVELLE396 likes this.

Tom

66 Chevelle crew cab 454 FiTech TKO 600 5 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 658 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.