4 wheel disc recommendations - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 17, 9:53 PM
Administrator

Garage
Re: 4 wheel disc recommendations

Not bashing their parts Tom but do not rely on the parking brake holding the car stationary. I have had them before. Also note that the rear caliper bracket does not have any provision for securing the rotor against the rotational force of braking over the centerline of the rotor. They rely on the slide pins for that. It is not that I race or autocross my cars but I do want them to have well engineered brakes since my life and others depend on it. Plus this style of brakes was developed in the mid 70's, there is better technology available.

GM rear disc with the caliper applied e brake. Notice the support for the caliper directly over the rotor. It also stabilizes the caliper when moving on the slide pins.

Aftermarket rear disc with the caliper applied e brake.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 17, 8:17 PM
Team Member
Ed

Garage

I have the KISS kit on my 65 Elky. A-body front discs from a 70 Cutlass (same as Chevelle). Rears are from a 94 Z-28. All are basically bolt directly on to the existing axles. Had to modify the rear E-brake cable brackets - not a big deal, and connect the old to the new brake cables in mid-car. And applying the pressure with a GM hydra-boost from a 1 ton van. Using the pump and reservoir from the same van (dual drainbacl nipples ino the reservoir. Stops with ease and still has feel to the pedal.
Philip likes this.

OLDED - It's STOCK if it's made by GM and it fits!

*65 Elky, Gen VI 496 BBC, TH400
*59 Vette, 283/270 hp. T5 5 spd., 4:11 posi.
*Harley - 06 Street Bob
*Life Member - Team Chevelle & Team ElCamino
*Peach State Chevelle Member
*Retired June 1, 2014****
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 17, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Garage

Sounds like a nice set up Ed.

63 Nova wagon

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 17, 4:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Garage

I agree with Phillip 100% on that style of GM e brake being garbage. I didnít even bother ordering my calipers with that set up. I just opted for no e brake for now. I know some of you guys have to have your cars inspected so you have to have one. Or the manual trans guys also. I will eventually change mine out to something with an e brake, but I would like the drum style, that goes inside the rotors. Also I have a Moser rear with Ford ends on it, so I need to find what will work best for me.

70 Chevelle, Vortecpro 496, TH400, Moser 12 bolt, custom Tom's Eaton posi, 3.73, UMI/Viking front suspension, PMT rear. Sniper efi, RobbMc PowerSurge.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 17, 5:21 PM
Tech Team
Aaron

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70CHEVELLE396 View Post
I agree with Phillip 100% on that style of GM e brake being garbage. I didnít even bother ordering my calipers with that set up. I just opted for no e brake for now. I know some of you guys have to have your cars inspected so you have to have one. Or the manual trans guys also. I will eventually change mine out to something with an e brake, but I would like the drum style, that goes inside the rotors. Also I have a Moser rear with Ford ends on it, so I need to find what will work best for me.

Wilwood has a great ID tool on their website to determine what rear kit fits your bearing end and flange stick out. I used their rear discs with internal parking brake on the 9Ē in my Ď72 and couldnít be happier.
70CHEVELLE396 likes this.

Donuts on your lawn.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 17, 5:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick View Post
Wilwood has a great ID tool on their website to determine what rear kit fits your bearing end and flange stick out. I used their rear discs with internal parking brake on the 9Ē in my Ď72 and couldnít be happier.
Thanks, I have seen that. I will most likely end up with a wilwood setup, just for now I keep finding other areas of the car to throw money at!

70 Chevelle, Vortecpro 496, TH400, Moser 12 bolt, custom Tom's Eaton posi, 3.73, UMI/Viking front suspension, PMT rear. Sniper efi, RobbMc PowerSurge.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 17, 5:27 PM
Administrator

Garage

Wilwood, Baer and Kore3 are all good products just a little high priced and usually more brake than most street driven cars need.

63 Nova wagon

post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 17, 7:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDED View Post
I have the KISS kit on my 65 Elky. A-body front discs from a 70 Cutlass (same as Chevelle). Rears are from a 94 Z-28. All are basically bolt directly on to the existing axles. Had to modify the rear E-brake cable brackets - not a big deal, and connect the old to the new brake cables in mid-car. And applying the pressure with a GM hydra-boost from a 1 ton van. Using the pump and reservoir from the same van (dual drainbacl nipples ino the reservoir. Stops with ease and still has feel to the pedal.
I like the sounds of your set up, I have a hydroboost out of a 06 3/4 ton, only problem the square nut is broken, can't seem to find one. I imagine the 94 z's are probably easy enough to find, the early 70's maybe not so much?

64 Chevelle

85 Monte Carlo SS
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 17, 8:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes64 View Post
As the title says I'm looking for recommendations for 4 wheel disc conversion. I have a hydro boost mc, not sure if I want to go that route, not very eye appealing, but not opposed to it. Will likely have Fatman 2" drop spindles, and running a 6.0L. Just looking for options.
As I get older, I prefer complete kits. My Malibu has the Wilwood 4 wheel disc conversion, (Ford ends on the 12 bolt to eliminate C-Clips), and a Hydratech Hydraboost.

The Wilwoods look good with 15 inch wheels.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/atta...1&d=1512005633

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/atta...1&d=1512005784
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0396.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	498922   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0875.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	498930  

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 17, 8:48 PM
Tech Team
Joe

Garage

I am having my rear drums changed to disc when changing my rear gears. This is the email i received from the shop in regards to installing these brakes:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-bk1623

"For the rear disk brakes, I really don't like that style of caliper. Getting the parking brake adjustment correct so the piston travel is right, is a really time consuming process. To install them, I would charge $735.00. Now I have a Wilwood rear disk brake kit that has used calipers and brackets, part number*https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-140-9315-r The customer changed his mind on what calipers he wanted. They only have 600 miles on them. The rotors are new. I can sell these for $550.00. They will need parking brake cables https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lok-ec-81fu*and brake hoses https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w...odel/chevelle* .

Labor to install this kit is $330.00"

Joe Sweeting
1970 Chevelle SS (Candian built)
Holley Sniper EFI
Classic Auto Air A/C
American Auto Wire Classic Update
Hermosa Retrosound head unit
454, TH400 Gear Vendors

US Navy Diver - Active duty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 655 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.