64-5 PB support bracket different than MB, Why? - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rich-L79

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 17, 2:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

64-5 PB support bracket different than MB, Why?

A friend wants to convert his MB to PB on his 64 Chevelle. It looks like the 64-5 Support Bracket is different for manual brakes (3858377)as opposed to power brakes (3841801).

Why would this be? Has it something to do with the angle the MC sits relative to horizontal?

Looks like in 66 and 67 the support brackets for MB and PB were the same and different from 64-65.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 17, 4:16 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage
Re: 64-5 PB support bracket different than MB, Why?

Those part numbers must be unique to 64, 65 uses a completely different part number.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 17, 4:34 PM
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

As far as I know power breaks were never an option on 64-65 so why would there be a different bracket number. I can tell you this I've converted 4 malibu's and elcaminos and all I did was bolt the booster up.

You tube video laying down final paint

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 17, 4:49 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie1969 View Post
As far as I know power breaks were never an option on 64-65 so why would there be a different bracket number. I can tell you this I've converted 4 malibu's and elcaminos and all I did was bolt the booster up.
Power brakes were available in 64 and 65. RPO J50. Pretty common actually.
OLDED likes this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 17, 5:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post
Those part numbers must be unique to 64, 65 uses a completely different part number.
Could be,as I have 386683 for 65 with manual brakes, couldn't find a number for 65 with PB. Also numbers from parts books are sometimes different then assembly manual , then there are those mid year and 1st & 2nd design things.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 17, 6:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

Quote:
I didn't know there was an option I've never owned one with anything more than a single res. Never seen one in the salvage yards with power either when you could still find these cars. Not sure a agree it's a common option from my experience but I don't hunt for optioned cars only look for something I can build that isn't beyond repair not a numbers guy.

You tube video laying down final paint

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 17, 7:04 PM
Team Member
Ed

Garage

The actual pedal arm inside has 2 holes to alternately use for manual or power brakes. The upper hole is used for manual and the upper for power brakes setup. The lower hole dictates the angled M/C setup so the push rod is in a direct line to the M/C. FWIW

OLDED - It's STOCK if it's made by GM and it fits!

*65 Elky, Gen VI 496 BBC, TH400
*59 Vette, 283/270 hp. T5 5 spd., 4:11 posi.
*Harley - 06 Street Bob
*Life Member - Team Chevelle & Team ElCamino
*Peach State Chevelle Member
*Retired June 1, 2014****
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 17, 7:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Looks like in 65 the support bracket was 3866853 for manual brakes.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 17, 7:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDED View Post
The actual pedal arm inside has 2 holes to alternately use for manual or power brakes. The upper hole is used for manual and the upper for power brakes setup. The lower hole dictates the angled M/C setup so the push rod is in a direct line to the M/C. FWIW
I see the pedal is the same for both manual and power brakes and according to the photo I am looking at it has two (2) different holes.

In 66 same support 3876555 for both manual and power. And a change to 3895199 in 67 for both manual and power.

There must have been something different in 64-5; but who knows what?

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 17, 7:49 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by james a larson View Post
Could be,as I have 386683 for 65 with manual brakes, couldn't find a number for 65 with PB. Also numbers from parts books are sometimes different then assembly manual , then there are those mid year and 1st & 2nd design things.
You couldn't find a PB part number because there wasn't one. Just one version was used in 65.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 17, 10:56 AM
Senior Tech Team
Denny

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie1969 View Post
I didn't know there was an option I've never owned one with anything more than a single res. Never seen one in the salvage yards with power either when you could still find these cars. Not sure a agree it's a common option from my experience but I don't hunt for optioned cars only look for something I can build that isn't beyond repair not a numbers guy.
From 1964 Chevelle Options and 1965 Chevelle Options:

Quote:
Year---RPO-------Description-------Quantity
1964---J50---Vacuum Power Brakes----37,739
1965---J50---Vacuum power brakes----29,236
From 1964 Chevelle Production Numbers by Series/Model and 1965 Chevelle Production Numbers by Series/Model:

Quote:
-------------------------1964------1965
Total Production--- 353,225---370,139
Export-----------------17,608------8,479
Total------------------370,834---378,618
I let anyone judge by themselves if it should be considered pretty common or not. I'm not getting in the middle of that fight.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 17, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

1964-66 Chevelle Pedal Assembly

If these are correct, it looks as if the different part numbers may have been due to differences in how they mount to the different dashs. Maybe in 64 PB vs MB had a different supports bracket. In 65 maybe they used the same bracket as well as in 66.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 17, 8:35 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

That guy at 4 speed conversions looks like he his stuff nailed up pretty tight. Is he known here?

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 17, 12:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Verle

Speaking for 1965.

There is one support bracket for manual and power brakes and for automatic and manual shift.
The brake and clutch pedals are the same for manual and power brakes.

The brake pedals is different for automatic and manual shift.

I suspect but am not sure that 64 and 65 brackets and pedals are the same as 65. Can someone confirm one way or the other.

Verle
Tulsa, Ok
65 Chevelle L79 since Feb 1965

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 996 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.