Please decode 1970 SS Chevelle - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 05, 3:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Please decode 1970 SS Chevelle

Here is cowl tag info on my 1970, can you please help decode:

70-13637 A 37440 BDY
788 B80 B90 75 75 PNT
03E 289421 170329

Thanks!

Maryland Chevelle Club #641 - ACES #6568
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 05, 3:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Re: Please decode 1970 SS Chevelle

Have another question as well. This car came from Thomaston, Georgia. I have clear title to it, but the title does not mention vin anywhere. The tag that is normally in front of the dash is not present on this car, but there is a screwed on tag in the door jamb with the Georgia plate number on it that jives with the title.
I know the cowl tag matches the car, because it's an original red bucket seat interior car. Also have former owner supported history on the car, so I know nothing's been switched around. Question is, can I get a re-manufactured vin plate? Seems goofy not to have one. Is this something typical on older Georgia cars?

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 05, 4:23 PM
Senior Tech Team

70 = 1970
13637 =
A = Atlanta/Lakewood Georgia assy plant
37440 = Fisher Body sequence #
BDY = Body
788 = Medium Red Coated Fabric, Bucket Seat
B80 = Roof Drip rail molding
B90 = Side window reveal molding
75 75 = lower/upper body color = Cranberry Red
PNT = Paint
03E = Build date of March, 5th week
rest are data processing #'s not decodable

Soryy can't help you with the vin, does sound a little strange. Never seen one that did not have a vin on the dash front. Is there any evidence that there was a vin on the dash? Is it possible that the dash pad is covering it? My 70 the vin just barely sticks out from the dash pad.

Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 05, 5:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Thanks! Compared it to the '70 Malibu I have, and then pulled back the dash pad (was loose). The two little stubs for it are sticking up, but no plate. Will search around the car for it once I start working on it. I guess my DMV can figure out what the vin number is when they search the old Georgia title, right?

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 05, 11:46 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

No you cannot get an original VIN plate. Sounds like the VIN was in question (car rebuilt from 2 or more cars maybe) and the state of Georgia CORRECTLY supplied a VIN as it matches what the title says. You might be able to take the title to a Georgia DMV and verify the number and find out why a VIN was reissued. Sounds to me like someone did something right.

While the last 2 sets of 6 digits are not decodable as such (they're plant tracking codes), most do appear on the build sheet. Even if you had a build sheet, the numbers would only verify the build sheet is for that car.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 05, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Dale,
Jim had mentioned to me that the car was in an accident somewhere around 1976-7. Since at that time these cars were bringing very little, maybe it was totalled, and it's a salvage title?

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 05, 12:29 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Sounds like a logical explanation for the state-issued VIN.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 05, 1:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Now here's the big question, and this one's a subjective thing. Considering it really wouldn't have taken that big of an accident to total a Chevelle in that time period, and having looked over the car, I feel it's very restorable. I am sure that the car is an SS, based on conversation with the gentleman that owned it back then.
But, considering that it really has a salvage title, is it ridiculous to spend 10-12,000 making the car really nice, and most people will view it as worth nothing because of the title status? Seems a shame considering the car is the real deal not to fix it, but I don't want throw money away on something everyone is going to regard as worthless...

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 05, 3:28 AM

I would think without the real vin plate and a build sheet that matches the vin, you would be just putting money into an expensive clone.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 05, 7:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Haven't ripped through the car yet for the build sheet, but even with it the value of the car would be severly handicapped because of the vin thing, I would think.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 05, 9:20 AM
Tech Team

Mike,

Sounds like the car may have been stolen and recovered sometime in its life, original VIN may have been removed at that time and Georgia issued a generic serial number for tracking/titleling purposes after being recovered. Generally if a car is considered damaged beyond repair or stolen, the VIN still stays with the car, title is then branded to show damage or total loss payout history from a insurance claim. Forget about trying to get a new VIN tag, that's a no-no and could land you jail time! If you do the car right and it looks good when you're done, it should have a value as good as a clone car if not better. Without a build sheet it's hard to prove that it is a real "SS", it's equally as hard proving that it is not.

If you're looking to turn a good profit or return on a done car, start with one that has a "paper trail"

Jeff
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 05, 11:28 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

No original VIN tag certainly would hold down the price that it would bring.

From what I read in another thread I would almost be afraid of a car that's been in Georgia now.
According to what Doug said you could bring a car into Georgia with no title and they would issue a title for it even with the wrong year on the title which means they didn't even check on the correctness of the VIN.

But then you could always find a junker with good VIN tag and title and have "instant fix"

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 05, 12:55 PM
ASB

In Washington state if the car was stolen & the vin tag was ripped off the state patrol would look for the hidden vin # on the frame or under heater & finding proper # would place a replacement vin tag with new #. Why they dont use the origional # I dont know??
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 05, 5:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Guess I'm going to bail out of the car. Seems like a shame, but I can't see putting a ton of time, labor, and money into the car only to have something that is valued as a clone. I have a '70 Malibu that I have next to nothing in, might as well do that one instead, have a ton less money into it.
Just seems a shame to abandon the car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5459 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.